Official Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Prize" by Geoffrey M Cooper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'm always a little cautious when I delve into the Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Horror genre as you never really know what you are going to get. This category encompasses so many different writing styles, it's almost impossible to know if you are going to like a story before reading it. So it was with some trepidation that I started reading The Prize by Geoffrey M. Cooper.

Eric Prescott is a distinguished scientist who is working towards winning the Nobel Prize. His research has been in the area of Alzheimer's; although he hasn't discovered a cure yet, he has come up with a great method to test chemical compounds. His eyes are on the prize, and nothing will get in his way.

Pamela Weller is fairly new in post doctoral work and has yet to achieve tenure at Langmere. She is also working on a cure to Alzheimer's and has found her own way to test chemical compounds. She is able to test compounds much faster than Eric Prescott, but she is only genuinely interested in finding a cure. Though she would like to become tenured, fame and fortune are not part of her agenda.

In this race to the finish line, will fame and fortune win out? Or will fame and fortune be usurped by someone simply looking for a treatment?

The Prize was genuinely difficult to put down once I started it (I guess it's good that it was a quick read.) The characters were very realistic and even left me mad at times. I wanted to shout at them and raise my fist in anger; to me, it's always a good sign that the book is accomplishing its purpose. At one point, I almost had to stop reading because I was so mad at what was going on. I was that absorbed in the lives of the characters.

The book is not necessarily what I would call action-packed. Yet, there was a constant pull towards the finish. The author does a great job at getting you invested in the story. The writing was superb, and I felt an urge to find out how everything would work out in the end.

There is an element of mystery in the story along with some psychological aspects. It was interesting to see how fame and fortune can become so corrupting. The mystery did not come in trying to figure out "whodunit" but rather in seeing if and when justice would be served.

I have no regrets about reading this novel nor did I find anything to complain about. Therefore, it's with great pleasure that I rate The Prize a 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novel to everyone who enjoys a good suspenseful novel with lively characters.

The Prize
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds really great and distinctively different from run-of-the-mill thriller stuff with a really strong moral dimension. Thinking of adding this to my 'want to read' pile.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Libs_Books wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 09:15 This sounds really great and distinctively different from run-of-the-mill thriller stuff with a really strong moral dimension. Thinking of adding this to my 'want to read' pile.
You should. It really did have an interesting moral dimension that made it unique.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Hey, this sounds like a definitely must-read! You're right about the corruption factor with fame and fortune! Guess it's a good thing I don't have to worry about either of those... haha! Great review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 11:54 Hey, this sounds like a definitely must-read! You're right about the corruption factor with fame and fortune! Guess it's a good thing I don't have to worry about either of those... haha! Great review!
Hah! I'm right there with you. I don't ever have to worry about winning a Nobel Prize or becoming a billionaire. Honestly, that's not really what I want out of life anyway. I want to enjoy each moment I'm gifted and spend it with those I love. I guess that's off topic, though. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Am in love with the laudable concepts on which parts of the premises of this book was built. Justice for one, justice for all. Exceptional review!
Farahnaaz baqar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Farahnaaz baqar »

The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
The novel was very interesting and suspenseful with lively characters.I did not feel like keeping the novel aside as it got very interesting as I kept on reading.I was curious to finish the book to know the end.The theme was very Good and shows how people can go beyond their way in order to get recognition.The character Eric Prescott,a distinguished scientist doing research in finding a cure to Alzheimer's setting his eyes on the Nobel prize and Pamela Weller who is also in the race for finding a cure to Alzheimer's depicts the urge of the people to win with fame or fortune.This novel depicts who wins the race:"Fame or Fortune".I will give"Prize" 5 out of 5 as it is a very interesting and suspenseful novel by Geoffrey M Cooper.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks pretty smart!
—Neil Gaiman
Ida123
Currently Reading: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B074WHDFCD

Post by Ida123 »

Your review makes this book a must read. I love it when the author makes the reader so involved in the history and in the characters he has developed. I will add this book on my must read list!!!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

What's best about this genre is "you never really know what you are going to get" as you said. That is why it is my favourite genre! Just like life you never know what you are going to get. The pulling force is a clear sine of the quality of the book. I believe I can get a entertaining reading experience through this book. Thank you for sharing Kands!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Vendlyss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vendlyss.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Vendlyss »

I definitely want to read this. Thank you for the recommendation. I love thrillers for the quality that you can't necessarily expect certain plot points to fall in place.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I like the straight forward review, the book sounds captivating and worth reading.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ida123 wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 16:51 Your review makes this book a must read. I love it when the author makes the reader so involved in the history and in the characters he has developed. I will add this book on my must read list!!!
I agree characters can really make or break a book. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 23:05 What's best about this genre is "you never really know what you are going to get" as you said. That is why it is my favourite genre! Just like life you never know what you are going to get. The pulling force is a clear sine of the quality of the book. I believe I can get a entertaining reading experience through this book. Thank you for sharing Kands!
I get that too. I think this would be enjoyed by lovers of the genre. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Vendlyss wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 23:36 I definitely want to read this. Thank you for the recommendation. I love thrillers for the quality that you can't necessarily expect certain plot points to fall in place.
Let me know what you think about it if you do read it. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”