Official Review: Join the Smart Home Revolution

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Official Review: Join the Smart Home Revolution

Post by Anirudh Badri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Join the Smart Home Revolution" by Ryan Herd.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Join the Smart Home Revolution is a pretty short book and is written by Ryan Herd. As the title suggests, this book is intended to educate the reader about the benefits of having a ‘smart’ home while also providing an overview of what exactly that entails.

The author starts with a historical overview of what houses have been like since the time of the cavemen. He points out the changes in houses since those times and then gives the reader an overview of the benefits that smart homes provide. By using that as the base, he dives deeper into how a smart home does those things and the impact that can have on our lives. The primary advantages that he focusses on concern safety and convenience. The rooms become smarter when there are sensors and devices that are controlled by a smartphone. These devices and sensors can be proactive and helpful in tending to needs of the resident. For example, he suggests that by having a smart door lock, we can control access, not worry about losing keys and also program it to contact the police at any sign of trouble. Many similar use-cases are explained in great detail. The book then responds to common misconceptions about smart homes. Here, the focus is on explaining that it is possible to set one up without spending too much at one go. Furthermore, he argues that it is also an investment since it increases the resale value of houses. All of these are backed up by statistics from various sources. Towards the end, he issues predictions concerning the reach of smart homes over the next few years.

To complement the futuristic and unique idea, this book is also pretty different from the standard ones. It is colourful with images and little infographics to drive home points or just to present the information in a convenient manner. I enjoyed reading a book like this which attempts something different from the standard typesetting and structure. It was also refreshing to see that the author is not carried away by his optimism and realises that sometimes there is too much automation. Since the line is pretty subjective, he suggests that each person make their own choices on what is too much, which is a stance I agree with.

One problem I had with the book was the repetitive nature of the points made. The benefits that home automation can have on safety and cost saving were mentioned far too many times. Since the author explains things pretty clearly and in simple English, there is no real need to repeat the same points quite so many times. He could instead delve deeper questions of how smart homes could balance convenience with issues like privacy. Similarly, the section with the predictions for the future was just far too long (nearly 100 predictions with explanations) and also seemed repetitive. That section was an anomaly with the author making mistakes avoided in the rest of the book. It is a classic case of the expert determined to showcase his expertise without considering what the reader wants or needs. While the rest of the book was aimed at a casual reader, this section would not really keep the interest of such a person. I have a technical background and an interest in futuristic technology and still felt that the section was overkill.

I would recommend this book to people who have homes and are interested in harnessing technology to improve it. Readers with an interest in futurism or technology would also enjoy this book. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to both a few issues in spelling and grammar as well as the issues I previously mentioned. It was a good book that could be better.

Join the Smart Home Revolution
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Anirudh Badri's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm just not that advanced at the moment. While it does interest me to see where we're headed, I don't think it's enough for me to pick up this book. I do appreciate the colorful images included, though! Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I appreciate your style of highlighting the information in this review. I've never heard of "smart homes" as an actual term and I think it's a great concept. Too bad the author was somewhat repetitive, that really can be frustrating sometimes. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Would be a good read for those who plan on purchasing a home. Fantastic review!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like an interesting book - or at least an interesting idea for a book - and the layout sounds great, but it's a pity that it's so repetitive. I enjoyed the clear analysis of your review and particularly appreciated the point about experts showing off their expertise - spoils quite a few non-fiction books.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I think technology brings us great help nowadays. However, I wouldn't like to have everything automatized at home. Good thing the author included statistics from valuable sources. Thanks for the insights.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Kalin Adi, that is a good point. While automation has its uses, too much of it too fast would not suit me either.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
PaperMan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PaperMan »

This book Is a wonderful way of talking smart phones. I would easily read it again and it wasn't too difficult in the first place. I definitely recommend this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”