Official Review: A Chicken in the Wind and How He Grew

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: A Chicken in the Wind and How He Grew

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Chicken in the Wind and How He Grew" by Frank South.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Chicken in the Wind and How He Grew: Stories from an ADHD Dad is a funny, heartwarming and poignant memoir by Frank South.

After a serious mental breakdown, forty-nine-year-old television writer Frank South was diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) with 'a number of pronounced comorbid disorders' including depression, hypomania and anxiety. At the time, he was living in Los Angeles with his wife Margaret and two ADHD children, Harry and Coco. Convinced that the best thing to do was to live away from everything and everybody they knew, Frank moved his family to Hawaii where there is different culture, less people and far less distractions. However, a series of unrelated events involving extended family members made Frank, an ADHD with aversion to change, consider moving back to the East Coast after ten years of living in the middle of the Pacific.

This is a wonderful, touching, moving, funny, amusing and entertaining book about love and family. By sharing the story of his life, the author gives the readers not just a glimpse but a detailed, blow-by-blow, account of what he and his children, as ADHD, go through every day. The author describes the frustrations of constantly living with self-doubt, fear, anxiety, confusion, self-loathing, depression, manic episodes and panic attacks.

Moreover, the book emphasizes the importance of finding ‘the’ therapist as well as the rapport between patient and therapist. Furthermore, the author, through this book, expresses his profound appreciation not only to his wife and his mother but also to all family members of ADHD for their infinite patience and unconditional love.

There are three things I like about the book. First, I appreciate the conversational tone the author uses. Unlike other non-fiction that sounds a lot like text books, this sounds more like live narration and personal conversation, therefore, easy to read. Second and in connection with the tone of narration, the book feels like actual encounter with ADHD that the readers could feel the confusion and self-doubt. This way, the author is able to share with the readers how it feels like, especially the explosion and the frustration. Finally, I like the courage and determination the entire South Family exhibited in the book. It is inspiring and encouraging.

The most important part of the book, for me, is the emphasis on responsibility to family. Regardless of what we are and what we do, and despite our impairments and disabilities, we are responsible for our loved ones not simply because we are obligated to but because that is what our hearts tell us to do, as Berna Deane South said ‘It’s my job.’

I like everything about the book except for noticeable errors mostly missing words and typos (like can’t to get my breath and difficult for me believe).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is, for the most part funny, amusing, entertaining, inspiring, encouraging and informative. I recommend it not just to ADHD or family and friends of ADHD but to everyone who enjoys books and stories about rising above adversity.

A Chicken in the Wind and How He Grew
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! 3 family members with ADHD? I can't even imagine what that would be like. Sounds like an interesting story. It's too bad about the errors.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Based on the cover and title, I never would have imagined that this is a book about ADHD. For the author to boldly tell his story is quite inspiring.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

This is an interesting premise for a book. I think it would be a good tool for many in society who aren't familiar with the internal struggles associated with ADHD. It could certainly result in more understanding interactions. Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too bad about the errors but the book certainly is an eye opener about ADHD and how people cope up with it. Thanks for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 15:22 Wow! 3 family members with ADHD? I can't even imagine what that would be like. Sounds like an interesting story. It's too bad about the errors.
Exactly! And this book would show the world how they managed. Yes, too bad about the errors. I hope they are already fixed at this time.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:40 Based on the cover and title, I never would have imagined that this is a book about ADHD. For the author to boldly tell his story is quite inspiring.
Very inspiring, indeed.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

NL Hartje wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 19:41 This is an interesting premise for a book. I think it would be a good tool for many in society who aren't familiar with the internal struggles associated with ADHD. It could certainly result in more understanding interactions. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. I think that's part of the goal of this book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 21:45 Too bad about the errors but the book certainly is an eye opener about ADHD and how people cope up with it. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome. It's a great book. I hope the errors are fixed by now.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This memoir sounds inspiring and enjoyable. I applaud the author for being so open about his struggles and family life. Thank you for taking time to read and review this one.
maiken555
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maiken555 »

Sounds like a good read;) I think it would be a good read for 101 Psy./Soc Students;)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Jkhorner wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 11:13 This memoir sounds inspiring and enjoyable. I applaud the author for being so open about his struggles and family life. Thank you for taking time to read and review this one.
You're welcome. It's a great book and I enjoyed it a lot.
Bola3299
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bola3299 »

Very interesting and would be great for mental health students.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Bola3299 wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 09:28 Very interesting and would be great for mental health students.
It sure is :)
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I think teachers and scholars can benefit from this book too. How courageous the author is by sharing his hurdles while dealing with ADHD. This book is quite promising to learn more about this impairment. Too bad about the errors. Thanks for your honest opinion.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”