Official Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Executive Hoodlum" by John Costello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One look with John Costello today and you would never guess that he had experienced so much trouble in the past. He has become a successful man. He is the Vice President in a billion-dollar semiconductor company. He has a loving wife and two sets of twins. One could say that he has it all. And yet, after reading his memoir, I could almost picture in my head the famous line: “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Executive Hoodlum: Negotiating on the Corner of Main and Mean by John Costello tells the story of how a Chicago street-wise kid rose to the executive ladder.

John Costello was born in Chicago at the time where gangs and motorcycle clubs were at its peak. He grew up to be street-wise, partly because of the dangerous environment, and mainly because his father forced him. Speaking of his father, most of John’s troubles and frustrations were because of him. His father had a twisted way of showing his love (if you can afford to call it that) for John. From childhood, John had received countless beatings from him. His father never encouraged him to go to school. He thinks that going to school is a waste of money. If not for John’s perseverance, he would not have graduated from college. To top it all, his father’s talent in singing was a front to con people. The constant association of John’s name in his father’s exploits threatens his position as he builds his way to a reputable career and life.

I can honestly and wholeheartedly say that Executive Hoodlum is one of the best memoirs I have read. Ever. It was entertaining and oozing with genuine sincerity. I felt that the author only wants to share his story with his readers. It's a plus if they pick life lessons along the way. His story was not unique in every aspect, but what makes it special is the vibe it exudes. The author wrote it so beautifully that it made me think he was a close relative of mine, telling me stories of his adventures in his younger days. I never met the author, but after reading his story, it felt like I’ve known him for a long time. The story was simple and used first person point-of-view. I found myself glued to the pages for hours.

It is noteworthy to mention that the Foreword and Afterword were written by Scott Baio and Larry Elder, respectively. These two famous and iconic men became close friends with the author. Their words were not only full of praise to the author but also sprinkled with admiration for a great friend. I agreed with Mr. Elder when he said that John’s “life is like a walking Goodfellas movie, only far more interesting.”

I enjoyed how the epilogue was structured as well. It contained a list of names that were mentioned in the book. After each name, the author wrote a brief description of the person’s current whereabouts. This was important to me because it helped me tie some loose ends on what happened to the other characters. This is usually overlooked in most memoirs. Some books tend to focus on one character and forget the other characters mentioned in the story.

Without a doubt, I give Executive Hoodlum: Negotiating on the Corner of Main and Mean by John Costello 4 out of 4 stars. There were minimal typographical errors and missing commas. However, this could be easily fixed with a bit of polishing. Anyhow, it was not enough to deduct a point in the rating. Executive Hoodlum would be perfect for readers who enjoy memoirs and even those who are still new to this particular genre. This book will not disappoint. Read it and be thoroughly entertained.

Executive Hoodlum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am not a big fan of memoirs, but from your review John Costello's story seems to be well-written and entertaining. I am also glad that the author did not shy away form sharing more troublesome relationships in his life like his relationship with his father. Thank you!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Glowing praise indeed! I'm not usually into memoirs, but with such high praise, I'm not sure how I can pass this one up. I'll have to look at it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

A good read that serves motivation for especially those from the garrison or poverty stricken areas. Awesome review!
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! I really like the title of this book. The oxymoron definitely caught my attention. I love memoirs so it's a yes for me with this one.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Splendid review! I am a big fan of memoirs, especially the motivational type and it's definitely a yes for me. An author appreciating every character in his book and taking time to find out what they are doing in their life is a rare but sincere feat.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I've only read a handful of memoirs, but you make this one sound different and interesting. Especially the angle of feeling like a story heard from a relative-- some of my fondest stories were overheard from older relatives discussing past adventures, and I'd love to have that feeling again.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

This feels like a must read. I believe I would thoroughly enjoy reading this. It even has great reviews on Amazon.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Thanks for the review. I don't usual pick memoirs because I'm more of a fantasy lover. I also tend to find memoirs too complicated to read. But your review makes this book sound fun. Reading about John Costello's difficult past in your review also makes me think I might find this book inspiration or motivational. Thanks again.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow! The picture I got was totally different. At first I honestly though another management book but who would have guessed it to be a memoir of this kind. Your review changed my impression. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
harrymadede
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by harrymadede »

this is so nice it doesn't matter where you come from your back ground does not affect your future john Costello story is a prove of this born and raised in hardship he fight his way to the top a unique story of resilience of the human spirit that shows the two sides of john that is serious with his work and still as time for his friends and family i give it a 4 star
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

The cover and the title of the book made me think it was yet another management book. I would have left it without sparing another glance, had I not decided to give your review a read. So what you said made my views take an about turn, and now I am fairly interested in the memoir. Sometimes I feel that memoirs get boring if you cannot relate to the person you are reading about. I am so glad that did not happen here and that you thoroughly enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
Liamsorj7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Liamsorj7 »

We must always learn to start from where we are and move to where we want, this book "Executive Hoodlum" is a must-read for everyone who wants to achieve greatness.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The fact that the author made after all those years of abuse from his father is a sure sign that with determination and courage, nothing can stop a person from attaining a goal in life. John's persistence must have played a very big role in his life to ensure that he went through college. Nice review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This book is about one man rising from a background of drugs, murder, and mayhem to sit at the top with the most affluent in society. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”