Review by SPasciuti -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Review by SPasciuti -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by SPasciuti »

[Following is a volunteer review of "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose tells the tale of a young boy's journey to become a mage and awaken his powers. Though he has barely just begun his education, Brimstone soon finds himself at the center of a political coverup and is used as a scapegoat for the deaths of students at his school. Before long Brimstone is on the run and a war is brewing throughout the country. Brimstone and his friends face a great many trials as they navigate the world around them and try to do what's right.

The book's synopsis describes it as a fast-paced story and I have to say that I agree. In the strangest of ways, End of the Last Great Kingdom was both rushed and drawn out. The bulk of the prose is spent moving characters from one place to another in order to follow a specific plot, which ultimately resulted in the loss of important character development. While Rose writes engaging scenes, there are few and they are often followed with lengthy summaries of the characters movements. This made the writing feel abrupt and jolted, ultimately interrupting the flow of the novel.

Unfortunately, certain scenes in the story feel random and out of place, especially in the beginning. Several events serve simply to provide a potential backstory that the author never once returns to and adds little to the book as a whole. Rose regularly included a lot of information to explain the world, but often proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it. Some plot points contradict each other as well. The beginning was more confusing than anything else since it seems to set up for an entirely different story. Foreshadowing is basically nonexistent, replaced instead with conveniently added plot points that are peppered throughout the novel at the very exact moment they are needed.

I often found myself wondering how realistic the characters and their actions were. Though they are described as young children, they rarely act in a way that portrays this. Everyone seems far too grown up for their age, even with the added fact that the novel takes place over the course of multiple years. The dialogue is odd on occasion, particularly in the case of the main character, Brimstone, who often makes statements that felt genuinely weird to read. I was also not a fan of the awkward romance between Brimstone and Heat, primarily due to the fact that the two characters are never really written getting to know each other. They spend much of the book apart and their romance is summed up quickly in a few small paragraphs.

Regardless, Rose does write a fantastically intriguing novel. His overall plot was quite interesting and I deeply enjoyed the moments where he spent time letting the readers get to know his characters. Battle scenes were well written and engaging. I also found myself really enjoying the path that Brimstone found himself on throughout the course of the novel. The characters I liked most in this story were the ones Brimstone met along his journey. There was always something about the book that kept me reading and eager to learn what would happen next.

While there were a few grammatical errors in the book, they did not distract from the book itself. I personally believe that there are a number of issues with this book that Rose should address to improve it, but at the end of the day, I saw a lot of potential in a story written by an author who is very capable of keeping his readers interested. It is for this reason that I decided to rate End of the Last Great Kingdom 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book despite its flaws. I think this book could appeal to people who enjoy fantasy novels, particularly younger readers.

End of the Last Great Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SPasciuti's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a very thorough review. I think the point about the characters being far too grown up for their age is a common failing of inexperienced authors, would you agree? I'm glad you find it intriguing, but it doesn't sound like the kind of thing I'd want to read, or buy for younger relatives.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I'm not sure I would like this book. Although I have a fondness for characters that are more mature than their age, a situation in which their maturity causes a discrepancy or disconnection within the novel is just wrong.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I often found myself wondering how realistic the characters and their actions were. Though they are described as young children, they rarely act in a way that portrays this. Everyone seems far too grown up for their age, even with the added fact that the novel takes place over the course of multiple years. The dialogue is odd on occasion, particularly in the case of the main character, Brimstone, who often makes statements that felt genuinely weird to read. I was also not a fan of the awkward romance between Brimstone and Heat, primarily due to the fact that the two characters are never really written getting to know each other. They spend much of the book apart and their romance is summed up quickly in a few small paragraphs

That is a great observation. I think the author ought to have considered how the characters would appear. Thanks for a great review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Thanks for being so thorough in your review. I kept looking at this one and thinking I wanted to read it, but now that I know more about it, I am pretty sure I would be disappointed. I'm one of those people who keeps thinking I like fantasy, but at the end of the day, I am very, very particular about the fantasy I like. It sounds like this author might have some great books coming in the future though, with a little more experience.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”