Official Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Official Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by MaryBurris »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Pigs Fly" by Susan Fries.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Pigs Fly: A Journey Home is a book written by Susan Fries. It is a fictional story about a young girl named Nicole who has passed away from cancer. The journey is what takes place after her death.

The subject matter of the story is one that is very close to my heart. As a cancer survivor, it was not unusual to find my cheeks damp with the tears that escaped from my eyes as I read this book. The author gives the reader many things to ponder. Things such as what happens to those we have left behind to what happens to ourselves from this point forward.

This story moves me. Nicole’s journey contains the things that were important to her - her friends and family, the memories, the sights and smells from her young life. I appreciated that her palace encompassed everything that anyone could ever want. And I thought that would be the end of her journey. Alas, I was mistaken.

I was a little confused by the next segment of the journey, but I don’t want to tell too much about it as I don’t wish to give away any spoilers. My mind could not understand at first why Nicole had to go through this next step on her journey. I was in a bit of turmoil because, in my mind, I had placed myself in Nicole’s shoes for a moment. While the author does not state the reason for this particular segment, I do believe I have it figured out for myself the reasoning behind it by the time Nicole reaches the next part of the journey.

It rarely takes me more than a few days to finish a book. This book was of a much larger magnitude, and while it is not a lengthy book, it took me much longer to read. Perhaps it was because I wanted to savor each word, or it may have been because I could relate to the story on such a personal level. I doubt that I will ever know the reason for taking such a long time to read. What I do know is this - I was touched deeply by this book. You do not need to be a religious person to be curious about what happens to us after we die. This book brings a beautiful sense of peace and comfort to those of us left behind and something for us to look forward to when the time comes for us to go. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

When Pigs Fly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MaryBurris's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Sounds like an interesting book. Thank you for sharing your own experience and I wish you the best!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This definitely sounds like an intense story full of emotion. I just don't know that I can handle a story like this at the moment, but I will keep it in mind for the future. I'm glad it touched you in such a profound way. Congrats on being a cancer survivor and here's to many more years to come!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Seems like you enjoyed reading the book a lot. It's so great to find books you can relate to. Thank you for that wonderful review! :tiphat:
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Sounds like an emotional read especially since it talks about a killer disease; cancer. I bet that so many readers can relate to the book. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Wow this was quite unexpected! When I first saw the title I started laughing because people often use the phrase, which happens to be the title of this book, in a sarcastic way to express something that is highly unlikely. However, I was sadly mistaken. This is definitely not the story I was expecting.There's definitely nothing hilarious about the content of this story. In fact it is a very sad yet quite moving story. I'm curious about why the author chose this particular title for the book. Great job on your review! It was very detailed.
Ida123
Currently Reading: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B074WHDFCD

Post by Ida123 »

Interesting and a very positive book, thank you for your honest and good review!
Em1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Em1 »

Hahh I think it's going to be interesting I'm gonna read it
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

At first, the title of this book made me laugh but I certainly would never ever guess it had anything to do with cancer. I can see there is a lot emotional involvement. When a book click well with the reader, it has lot to say. I can see this book has brought so much memory to you that is painful but your a fighter and a survivor. It is not the fall that is important but the fight that we device to live! Thank you! Be proud for been a fighter and a survivor!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

From your review, this book would reach out to those of us who often wonder about life's purpose and would be a tearful read for emotional people.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Your experience with When Pigs Fly is a good example of the power that the right book, read at the right moment, can have in our lives. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

This book is very intresting. It talks about the journey of a cancer surviour. I hope it this book when read by a cancer patient will boost their confidence level.
---
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I haven't read many books that relate to life after death, but this seems like an interesting read. I imagine if you relate to this experience it would be a very hard book to get through. Thank you for your review.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that follows the journey of a girl after she has passed away from cancer sounds touching. It describes life after death in a sensitive manner. I am glad the book comforted you. It does sound like a moving story, but it isn't a topic I care to read about. Thank you for the review and for sharing your story.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am not intrested in after-death fiction stories. However, your review beautifully done and I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”