Review by henna sonum rajpoot -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
henna sonum rajpoot
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henna-sonum-rajpoot.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by henna sonum rajpoot -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by henna sonum rajpoot »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And then I met Margaret is an inspirational book written by Rob White which serves as an excellent self help guide as well as a life time experience sharing many pearls of wisdom in a striking manner. The title of the book might suggest it could be a book belonging to romantic genre where the writer’s journey of union with his beloved might be the gist of the story but it is a self-motivating book comprising of 21 chapters each with its respective and unique but of course, related themes. The writing style of the author is something that readily catches the attention of his readers as the entire book is written in a storytelling style where an innocent child is seen shattering the barriers imposed by his society and elders. He tends to live on the edge by taking risks for his better future, living a life full of healthy adventures to strengthen his goals and position in life and squeezing out the most meaningful words of advice from each and every person he comes across in his journey of life.

In this book, the writer describes his journey of self-realization; from a small town to money making, from being a motivational speaker to achieving life time fame as an influential writer. The way he continues to fight against the odds and establishes a place for himself in the society by earning the respect of his folks and winning the hearts of the millions unknown is commendable and impressive. He voices out his experiences with such intuitive ability which ripples across many lives in their journey for transformation. His humble attitude towards life and an equally mature approach in harnessing the true worth of even the ordinary people he meets along is truly inspiring and enriching.

He knows how to make good use of the wisdom gathered from people belonging to diverse settings, backgrounds and work environments in his favor. He is a living example of a wise person who spreads his wings by learning through the experiences of others and sees the world from their lens. It shows his inner quest for lifelong learning and to take the reins of his life as he is his own guru. He is the man who knows the art of alchemy; to turn the lead of trials and hardships into gold of wisdom and intellect.

This book raises the level of self-awareness and convinces its readers to achieve the higher order goals and success that is immeasurable. It has the fair prospects and potential to set the ambition of many hearts ablaze and mold those souls seeking a spiritual guide for the enlightenment of their souls and beings for the higher purpose. His words are a food for thought for all of us because at one point or the other in our lives, we experience the same desire to be self-efficient and independent which we are often seen to repress due to the lack of confidence and faith in ourselves and the divine plan. Therefore, his words echo the hearts of millions of readers out there.

The writer uses a mix of a handful of phrases, a collection of contemporary idioms and a plenty of metaphors to ornament his manuscript and enrich its meaning. A few of my favorite picks from the book are “rare species that’s in huge demand”, “treasured the card games”, “choosing the old-maid cards”, etc. The vocabulary he uses is so powerful with carefully chosen emotive words like “spiritually bankrupt”. In short, he has learnt to master the art of playing well with the words. In addition to these, he lightens up his words with a casual, light yet sensible humor as is evident from the sentences like “enjoyed playing cards with me and my sisters at the kitchen table, sometimes for a whole hour!”, “i soon stopped avoiding open spaces when the clouds darkened”, “he wasn’t even in the course catalogue”, “he had a brain part missing until you spoke with him”, “opted out of a perfectly arranged marriage”, “and if I fell short, i was prepared to be struck dead by a bolt of lightning” to quote a few.

Apart from the strong and deep concepts the book discussed with its readers it was throughout an equally enjoyable read particularly the strange and peculiar traditions like adopting the gait of one’s father and throwing stag party been mentioned were very interesting. One of the many charms of this book is its empathetic nature to the readers as it is layered up with beautiful and memorable experiences of the author and the lessons learned from the life as a whole especially the story of his uncle Fred which shared a valuable and optimistic life lesson in a simplistic manner.

The writer has an inkling of technical scientific terms such as “escape velocity”, “centrifugal push”, centripetal pull”, etc. and merges them beautifully with the content to elaborate its meaning. Lessons learned were presented in chronological order to engage the readers in cherish able memories. Among all these inspirational words, facing the crowd and setting your goals higher were my most favorite. Font of the book is eye catching and appeals very much to the visual senses.
However, the myth busting concept at the end of each chapter could have been more appropriately described only with the lessons learned instead of using those showy and glittery puns as some of them were too oddly structured. A few of the words and abbreviations posed slight difficulty in conveying their meaning such as EST, NLP, etc while the others like DOL, on the other hand, were properly transcribed. There were quite a few typographical errors such as “a whole a new me”, “paints” instead of pants” as well as the repetition of “i was” on page 131 and 126 respectively.

The book took me back to my early childhood days of grandmother’s moral stories and the first drop capped word of each chapter reminded me of my daily newspaper reading. Hence, this book is a wake-up call for those who are busy in making money and aims at people who view success as a shift of focus towards materialism. I would gladly rate the book 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to every person i can reach out to give it a read, instill power and confidence and get transformed for the better.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like henna sonum rajpoot's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I appreciate your thorough review. You pointed out all of the strengths of this book. It definitely will inspire many people. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did for various reasons. I felt the author didn't really integrate some of the lessons he claimed. I did appreciate his storytelling ability and I thought the chapters were structured well. Thanks for the review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
henna sonum rajpoot

Thank you so much Eva for taking time out to read and comment on my review. As you mentioned that his storytelling style was his plus point indeed and i'm certain it will give his book much appreciation. I'm sorry about the fact that you were not able to see it the way i do as we all have very different perceptions to look at the very same things even. I really hope my review helps people to go through the messeges he gives in his book. Thank you😊
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

This was a very thorough review! I can tell you really enjoyed the book. I did as well. It was a very inspiring read. I found the section about " adopting the gait of the father" hilarious! That was indeed an interesting tradition and White integrated this story very well to make the connection to his own journey and how stepping outside of this custom transformed him.
henna sonum rajpoot

KFree_Reads wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 00:08 This was a very thorough review! I can tell you really enjoyed the book. I did as well. It was a very inspiring read. I found the section about " adopting the gait of the father" hilarious! That was indeed an interesting tradition and White integrated this story very well to make the connection to his own journey and how stepping outside of this custom transformed him.
Thank you so much Kfree_Reads. I hope it helps us all on our own journey for transformation😊
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It's lovely to know how this book took you down the road of nostalgia. Thanks for a great review! :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
henna sonum rajpoot

Samy Lax wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 02:44 It's lovely to know how this book took you down the road of nostalgia. Thanks for a great review! :)
I'm glad Samy Lax that you liked my review. I would love you to give it a read and experience the same with his words😊
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many people have thought that this would be a romance novel! I also thought it read more like an autobiography. So sad that the morals mentioned remind us of the "old days". His book shows that these morals are still valid for our time. Great review.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

henna sonum rajpoot wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 02:41
KFree_Reads wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 00:08 This was a very thorough review! I can tell you really enjoyed the book. I did as well. It was a very inspiring read. I found the section about " adopting the gait of the father" hilarious! That was indeed an interesting tradition and White integrated this story very well to make the connection to his own journey and how stepping outside of this custom transformed him.
Thank you so much Kfree_Reads. I hope it helps us all on our own journey for transformation😊
You are most welcome! I hope so too :)
henna sonum rajpoot

kdstrack wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 09:16 Many people have thought that this would be a romance novel! I also thought it read more like an autobiography. So sad that the morals mentioned remind us of the "old days". His book shows that these morals are still valid for our time. Great review.
Thank you!! Romance is all about perfectionism in a literary sense ,as you may call it. And this book teaches us how to fall in love with ourselves and our dreams in order to transform ourselves.
henna sonum rajpoot

KFree_Reads wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 09:16
henna sonum rajpoot wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 02:41
You are most welcome! I hope so too :)
😊😊😊
burang
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by burang »

wow is really interesting at first i thought it was a love story i was so keen to the story but is really nice i enjoyed it alot because author was trying to experience and the lessons he learned from his mistakes is quite interesting thank you.
henna sonum rajpoot

burang wrote: 21 May 2018, 07:25 wow is really interesting at first i thought it was a love story i was so keen to the story but is really nice i enjoyed it alot because author was trying to experience and the lessons he learned from his mistakes is quite interesting thank you.
😄 That's really interesting to hear you also thought the same as i did when i first chose the book for review lol but i think the way it transforms you and fills you up with the lessons is a way more effective than a love story would have had been. I hope you agree😊
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I think I'd love to learn how to be my own guru. Rob sounds like such a wise person I'd love to share in some of that wisdom.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I have been wanting to read this book for a long time and you definitely make a compelling case for it.
It seems like you could learn a lot from it without it being boring or too straightforward as some self-help books.
I totally agree it takes a lot of wisdom to be open to learning from others. Most of us need to experience things to learn from them and it takes remarkable people to see the learning opportunities in everyday life.
I also loved that you provided examples from the book as well as your own experience while reading it.
An enthusiastic and thorough review! Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”