Review by heykristin5 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
heykristin5
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heykristin5.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by heykristin5 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by heykristin5 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret is an inspiring novel about how what someone thinks is true, can really be a myth. Rob White shares moments in his life where unexpected gurus made him realize there’s more to life than he realized. Rob is an entrepreneur, author, inspirational speaker and more.
Throughout his life, he learned many valuable life lessons and wrote them down to share with others.

Rob White brings the reader along on his life journey starting at when he was a child to where he is now. He shares moments along the way where he learned life-changing lessons from ordinary people, or as he puts it, unexpected gurus. These “unexpected gurus” aren’t limited to motivational speakers, monks, Buddhists, or anyone else most people might think when they hear the word guru. These are everyday people who probably don’t realize the impact that they’ve had. Rob shares the intimate details of each moment and what was going on in his head throughout it. Each of these moments repeats itself later on in his life, but this time with Rob on the other side and being the teacher. Each chapter begins with a myth Rob once believed and ends with the truth he was taught and will continue to live by. He uses the collection of truths as a state of mind which helped him get to be the successful person he is today.

This novel is incredibly influential as it allows the reader to reflect on their own life. The life-changing moments in Rob’s life are experiences that happen to everybody, it’s just a matter of what you take away from it. After reading how Rob took these moments that seem to be so ordinary and turning it into a learning experience, the reader is inspired to do the same in their own life. This is what I liked best about the book. Even as I read, I would stop and think about a similar experience that I had. Suddenly I was thinking, “Why didn’t I see it like Rob did?”

And Then I Met Margaret is a book that everyone should read, no matter their age. It’s a book about making everything into a learning experience, and it’s never too late to learn something new. Even as Rob gets older, he experienced many different moments that taught him new lessons. This book will make you take a moment and think about your life and what you’re getting out of it. It’ll make you realize that you could be getting more; you just have to think a little differently.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book was easy to read, intriguing, emotional, relatable, and most of all inspirational. I finished this book in a completely different state of mind than when I started. I’m now ready to take life by the hand and take advantage of all the people surrounding me and what they have to offer.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like heykristin5's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

It looks like this might be your first review. Very well done. I also liked the ordinary guru theme of the book, and can see how many would be inspired by the stories. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but appreciated the storytelling and the structure of the chapters. Check my review if you like. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Thanks for this thoughtful review! I agree that there's a lot to learn from it.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like how you point out that the author presents a wide variety of "gurus" - not what one would be expecting! Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”