Review by kdstrack -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi is the personal diary of Inca, the kitty detective. She relates the story of how several cats and dogs work together to solve a mystery in their neighborhood.

This is a book for young readers. The font used for the writing is attractive for children. There are variations in the font that emphasize the mood of the story. The chapters are divided into morning, afternoon and evening activities. Written from Inca’s point of view, we see everything through the feline’s eyes.

Inca is a typical cat, with a superior attitude. She never tires of telling you just how great a cat she is. She is especially proud of her sleuthing abilities. One can just imagine her prancing around with her tail up in the air!

Inca has a passion for solving mysteries. Even more than that, she loves to revel in her fame as a kitty detective. She already has a reputation for finding missing things. Now Boss, her canine friend, needs her help. If their neighbor Ned loses his home, Boss will be left in the care of Cyril, Ned’s selfish brother. Inca forms a detective club to find the evidence that will allow Ned to keep his house.

The tone of the story was humorous, comical and mysterious. Inca can be snooty but she also has a sense of humor. There is also a sense of family and affection. Inca shows a caring attitude toward her feline and human family. Since the story takes place in December, there is the excitement of the approaching holiday.

The illustrations were excellent. They added greatly to the story. I especially liked the sentence about Inca’s heart beating rapidly followed by the picture of a drum. I feel like the illustrations added humor to the story. They had me laughing out loud.

The author is obviously a lover of cats. She presents Inca as snobbish and arrogant. At the same time, Inca can be ambivalent. In several occasions, Inca presents several alternative solutions to a situation, but can’t seem to decide which action would be appropriate. This is typical feline behavior.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If not for the spelling and grammar errors, I would have been happy to give this book a four. This is a very enjoyable story. It is a lovely book for children, for cat and dog lovers, and young mystery readers.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

What better way to spend the day than reading a comical book! Too bad the book had errors otherwise it would have killed it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Marylynn wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 12:43 What better way to spend the day than reading a comical book! Too bad the book had errors otherwise it would have killed it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
I wish there hadn't been errors - this is one book I really wanted to give a 4!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Based on the reviews of the later books in this series, I have been seriously wanting to track down the first one in order to give to some friends with slightly older kids. I wonder if the spelling and grammar errors have been fixed?
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

esp1975 wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 09:36 Based on the reviews of the later books in this series, I have been seriously wanting to track down the first one in order to give to some friends with slightly older kids. I wonder if the spelling and grammar errors have been fixed?
I have been reading other books in this series. They are captivating. I hope you find some of the beginning ones. I'm not sure if the errors have been fixed.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”