Official Review: Tales of a Titanic Family by William Russo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Official Review: Tales of a Titanic Family by William Russo

Post by k2rugman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales of a Titanic Family" by William Russo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales of a Titanic Family by William Russo is a family history novel depicting the unfortunate deaths of Percival and Richard White on the Titanic and the effect it had on their remaining family members. This book revolves around the White family of four, although only two members perished in the Titanic tragedy. The aptly named White family had no relation to the White Star Line; however, when Percival purchased two tickets for the Titanic he thought the name coincidence was a sign of good luck. It soon became apparent he was very wrong indeed.

Percival White was a well-to-do businessman from Massachusetts. He, with his wife Edith, had two sons: Percy and Richard. Many of the pages in this book describe Percival’s business dealings which required the family to spend extensive time traveling to Hawaii, Europe, and all over the Eastern United States. Individual circumstances placed Percival and Richard in Europe at the same time which led to their fateful voyage together on the Titanic. The remainder of the book describes Edith and Percy’s attempt to pick up the pieces and cope with their loss.

This book is divided into four sections. Each section is dedicated to Percival, Edith, Richard, and Percy’s individual tales. When I initially picked up this book, I was excited to read what I expected to be an epic about the subjects’ time on the ship. There was, however, a significant amount of back story. There were only a few pages in each section dedicated to Percival and Richard’s time on the Titanic. Some of the back story seemed to drag on. The eye-witness accounts of the White men on the Titanic were interesting and raised several questions of how they both actually met their demise.

I mostly enjoyed this book. This family history is quite detailed. Due to each person having a section dedicated to them, there was some significant overlap in storytelling. There were no chapters which made reading the long sections rather tedious. Each section was peppered with pictures though, which broke up the huge blocks of text. The writing was well done. The author gave a great sense of who Percival, Edith, Richard, and Percy were.

I give Tales of a Titanic Family by William Russo 3 out of 4 stars. I had a hard time getting through some of the back story and thought that some of the information was irrelevant. The excess of information weighed down the story a bit. I also noticed a few grammatical errors. I did, however, find most of the story to be quite interesting. I had thought I would be most interested in the events on the Titanic, but I was more intrigued by the ripple effect. The changes in Edith and Percy’s life due to the loss of their husband, father, son, and brother was heart wrenching. The aftermath was easier to read than the back story. Despite the circumstances, the overall tone wasn’t as dark as the subject matter. The author was very matter-of-fact and didn’t sugar coat the grim happenings. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the Titanic and family history novels.

Tales of a Titanic Family
View: on Bookshelves

Like k2rugman's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Is this a true story or a fiction? The story seem interesting even though it has mentioned of a history. I also see that the author has lost his track on the excess weight that he had given to the story which is sad. Cruse stories sound interesting, involving Titanic makes it even better. Looking forward to it! Thank you for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

It's a true story! There are a bunch of pictures of the family members and a couple of pictures of Percival on the Titanic.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I would have a difficult time with the repetition of information. As a reader having to read the same thing over and over makes me a bit grumpy.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! I will definitely check this book out. I like that it makes the Titanic and the people who were affected so real. The movie can do so much and no more to shed light on this horrific event. I feel this book will help me better understand the pain of those families who lost their loved ones.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would have liked more information on their time onboard the titanic as well. I don't think I would enjoy going through all the back story. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I despise reiteration and tangential information in story line of books, nonetheless seems like a good read. Commendable Review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”