Review by Eva Darrington -- Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Review by Eva Darrington -- Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Isn’t it exciting when you begin reading a book, and within a few pages you can tell the writing is crisp and lean, the paragraphs are well-structured, and the book is going to be great? That's what happened when I read Book Blueprint: How Any Entrepreneur Can Write an Awesome Book. Elegant in every way, this book-writing manual is exactly what you’ll need to take on writing your first business manual, self-help book, or memoir.

The book’s author, Jacqui Pretty, is the founder and head editor of Grammar Factory, a writing, editing, and coaching company that helps entrepreneurs write great books that ultimately promote their businesses. Based in Australia, Pretty has worked with over 100 entrepreneurs to help them bring interest and credibility to their work through writing and publishing books. “A published book earns you instant credibility and establishes you as a leader in your industry.” Once you have achieved this status, Pretty claims, you begin to reap the benefits that come with being an expert: media exposure, speaking engagements, higher income and more. So what are the essential ingredients in writing an exceptional book?

Book Blueprint is neatly divided into four sections. “The Right Idea” stresses the importance of distilling your message and matching your idea with the right book type. Once your idea is solid, “The Right Structure” will have you wowing readers with your content, and they won’t even realize it is because of your clean and compelling organizational structure. Section three, “The Right Content,” emphasizes breaking up the text by engaging the reader with questions, activities and action items. And finally, “The Right Language” describes how your unique voice will set your book apart from every other book. And you can leave your jargon and corporate-speak at the door; plain English, simple words, and short sentences, says Pretty, are what readers crave.

Book-writing manuals can get mired in discipline, writing schedules, and book length, but never offer clear insights on crafting the theme, structure or language. Right out of the gate in chapter one, Pretty asserts that successful book ideas are found at the intersection of three elements: your passion as the author, your knowledge on the subject, and your reader’s needs. According to the author, many books fail because they focus only on passion or knowledge, but ignore the audience. Book Blueprint offers a strong focus on mapping out the needs of target readers. Pretty believes that adhering to this three-element formula will position your idea and thus your book far above the rest.

The section on structure is solid. It outlines the importance of good organization in engaging your target reader. The author states, “The greatest benefit of a clear structure is that it makes you sound like you know what you’re talking about.” If you sound like you are an expert, most will keep reading. She employs simple but effective mind-mapping exercises as a way to create and develop the structure for your book.

Jacqui Pretty takes her own advice and provides the reader with tangible action steps in the form of exercises and worksheets that will ultimately become a detailed outline of your book. Book Blueprint is a seamless read, either in one sitting or as a section-by-section manual. If I wanted to write a book, I would read this one straight through once, just for the enjoyment of reading an excellent book. I would then start all over again, dig in on the exercises in earnest, and create the blueprint of my book.

I rate Book Blueprint 4 out of 4 stars. Each word, sentence, chapter, and section is carefully crafted to serve the stated theme. The author follows her own prescriptions throughout, using a tight structure and well-spaced exercises to engage the reader and flesh out the lessons. The language is consistent and the instructions easy to follow. I did not find any editing errors in the book.

If you are looking for a book that cracks the whip to get you to your keyboard, this may not work for you. Yes, there is plenty of encouragement to write in this book. But, at heart, it is a brilliantly organized, step-by-step guidebook for each phase of the book-writing process. Jacqui Pretty won’t only teach you how to write a book; she will convince you that you can write a book, and will leave you with your very own first draft. Pretty declares in the introduction, “The goal is that by the time you finish all of the exercises, you will have a blueprint that’s so detailed your book will write itself.” After reading this book, I believe her.

Book Blueprint
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

It is not too surprising that Jacqui Pretty's Book Blueprint: How Any Entrepreneur Can Write an Awesome Book gets colourful review - "writing is crisp and lean, the paragraphs are well-structured..." It is, after all, a writing manual. Well, I think the review is well-worded!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

KlareAllison wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 05:13 It is not too surprising that Jacqui Pretty's Book Blueprint: How Any Entrepreneur Can Write an Awesome Book gets colourful review - "writing is crisp and lean, the paragraphs are well-structured..." It is, after all, a writing manual. Well, I think the review is well-worded!
Thank you for stopping by! Yes, she did a really nice job with this book. Better than any book-writing manual I've read.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

What a great review there, Eva Darrington- comprehensive, compelling and intriguing. I love books that are seamless, interesting and educative and Jacqui has managed just that. Once again thank you for a great review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Al Chakauya wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 11:48 What a great review there, Eva Darrington- comprehensive, compelling and intriguing. I love books that are seamless, interesting and educative and Jacqui has managed just that. Once again thank you for a great review.
Thanks, Al. This book was a breath of fresh air for me. Loved her style in every way. Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a good day.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's is amazing self-help book for entrepreneurs. I think business leaders should read this book to grow their business. Thanks for your nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 01:29 It's is amazing self-help book for entrepreneurs. I think business leaders should read this book to grow their business. Thanks for your nice review.
Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I have to admit to breathing a sigh of relief whenever I start reading a book that is actually well thought out and executed. This is especially true since starting to do book reviews. Under other circumstances, I would just stop reading the book. :) Your review demonstrates the reason we do reviews. I know exactly if I would want to read this book or not, and what to expect if I do. Thank you.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Kat Berg wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 09:01 I have to admit to breathing a sigh of relief whenever I start reading a book that is actually well thought out and executed. This is especially true since starting to do book reviews. Under other circumstances, I would just stop reading the book. :) Your review demonstrates the reason we do reviews. I know exactly if I would want to read this book or not, and what to expect if I do. Thank you.
Thanks so much for your comments. I appreciate you stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Maybe this book is the push I need to finally take the leap and start the novel I want to write! I'm just so Type A, that I get wrapped up in the little details when I really just need to jump in and start writing:-)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:44 Maybe this book is the push I need to finally take the leap and start the novel I want to write! I'm just so Type A, that I get wrapped up in the little details when I really just need to jump in and start writing:-)
I know what you mean. That's what I liked about this book. The exercises could become an outline fairly easily. I hope you get going on that book! Thanks for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Kat Berg wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 09:01 I have to admit to breathing a sigh of relief whenever I start reading a book that is actually well thought out and executed. This is especially true since starting to do book reviews. Under other circumstances, I would just stop reading the book. :) Your review demonstrates the reason we do reviews. I know exactly if I would want to read this book or not, and what to expect if I do. Thank you.
Yes, I can relate to all of that - I now also understand why publishers are driven to distraction by the number of unsolicited manuscripts they receive. Reviewing is jolly hard work, though some people may make it look easy.
:tiphat:
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Well, I read this manual and was excited at the way the author has written. I have loved the style you have chosen to review this book. Thanks for a good review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Paul78 wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 08:14 Well, I read this manual and was excited at the way the author has written. I have loved the style you have chosen to review this book. Thanks for a good review.
I really appreciate your comments. It is a very well done book. Thanks for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 08:23
Paul78 wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 08:14 Well, I read this manual and was excited at the way the author has written. I have loved the style you have chosen to review this book. Thanks for a good review.
I really appreciate your comments. It is a very well done book. Thanks for stopping by!
Welcome. I also read and reviewed it and was able to agree with everyone else that has read it.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”