Official Review: A King Ensnared by J. R. Tomlin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: A King Ensnared by J. R. Tomlin

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A King Ensnared" by J. R. Tomlin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Personally, I enjoy history greatly; however, many writings about history are drier than dirt. When I picked up A King Ensnared by J. R. Tomlin, I was not sure how it would read. Naturally, I hoped for an exciting tale about King James of Scotland as well as a sound treatment of life in the 1400's; however I half expected it to be dull. To my delight, I found this novel to be all that I hoped for and more.

The author introduces you to a rather young Prince James on the first page. James is striving to catch a lizard to find out if indeed the tail will grow back if pulled off! From that moment, I was sucked into the story. Unfortunately for James, he never had the chance to solve the lizard tail mystery, as important men came to deliver news to the king of the death of his son, James' older brother. James is immediately whisked away, hopefully to safety, as his life is now in jeopardy. Through a series of events, James ends up a captive of King Henry of England. A King Ensnared is the story of James' life.

I give major kudos to the author for the masterful handling of the time period, including the political and economic climate and the major world players of the day. Events portrayed were largely accurate to historical records; the author made note of any deviations. One hindrance to overall understanding could have been the plethora of historical characters; however, all characters essential to the understanding of the perilous time were developed so well, one would almost think that the author had met them in person. Dangers to the life and person of James were well-explained.

It can be a temptation to view history as just a bunch of facts, names, dates, places... In reality, the people who lived in history are much like we are today, only born into different circumstances. Even with all the historical accuracy in place, the author managed to develop this book so well that it read more like an adventure and even a budding romance than a dusty history book required for a university social studies course. The pace was realistic. The story is told through the eyes of Prince James of Scotland, allowing a natural suspense to play out as James waited year after year, never knowing if he was going to be executed or allowed to live another day.

Not only is this tale about Prince James, but there is also insight into King Henry IV of England and his son, Henry Monmouth. Characters are not whitewashed, but are portrayed realistically, showing both strengths and weaknesses. Another interesting facet is the use of an old Gaelic dialect throughout by relevant characters. Personally, this did not bother me, as the context was always enough to decipher what was being said. Additionally, lest this be a hindrance to any, the author includes a glossary in the back.

In short, I cannot say enough good about this book. I knew next to nothing about the history of Great Britain during the 15th century. While I would not consider myself an expert after merely one book, I could say that my overall understanding of that time period has been greatly expanded. J. R. Tomlin made this era come alive! Thankfully, the editing is overall clean; I found only two errors. My only regret about the book is that it was not long enough! On one hand, it almost ended with a cliffhanger, but as the author made it clear that this book was to talk about only one period of James' life, the book did end at a natural point in history. The next period will be treated in the next book. The author is forgiven! I am pleased to assign 4 out of 4 stars to A King Ensnared. I do feel that I would not recommend this to young readers, due to the nature of the content (wars are bloody). However any mature reader should find this to be a delight.

A King Ensnared
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

"In reality, the people who lived in history are much like we are today, only born into different circumstances."
Completely agree! This sounds like something that would make a good series over at the History Channel. I'm going to add this to my to-read list. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

That's a great review! To be honest, though I am a fan of history, I am always worried historical fiction could be dull for the most part. It's refreshing to learn about a book in the genre that is interesting and educational. Would love to read this one!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Ooh! I love a good historical fiction when it's done well. This sounds intriguing, and you have me already at James and the lizard's tail! Thanks so much for the great information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for a great review. I'm a great fan of fiction about British history, but I had never heard of this author. It's great to learn of another good author.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for this insightful review! I find historical fiction intriguing and you have piqued my interest with this very enthusiastic review. Awesome!
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

It is only after reading this review that I also realize that my overall knowledge of Europe's history is a little wanting. And if, indeed, this book teaches and entertains as you claim, then it is a very wonderful book. I might check it out? Also, great review.
MA
greenstripedgiraffe

Melchi Asuma wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 02:32 It is only after reading this review that I also realize that my overall knowledge of Europe's history is a little wanting. And if, indeed, this book teaches and entertains as you claim, then it is a very wonderful book. I might check it out? Also, great review.
It's fascinating. "Politics" certainly is not a new idea :D I hope you pick up the book sometime and read it! Thank you for your comments :)
Iamsofia
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamsofia.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Iamsofia »

Wow. I love history so much and the book sounds humorous. I'll love to read it. Great review, the review is awesome
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Since it is a periodical literature it is important to capture the data effective and present it to it's audience in a very effective manner. It is also important that the historical facts mentioned should be of true to its nature. Historical fiction reminds me of "Reign" a t.v. series about the life of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scotts. After watching this I am very much into historical fiction. Anything to do with Kings and Queens is certainly a book for me. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

A King Ensnared is truly a story of the ordeals of one about to be king but withheld from that fate by circumstances. I understand the perils of royalties in line to ascension to the throne, the intrigues, the rivalry and the covert acts of supposed "kingmakers" and protectors on one hand, and the enemies and "other pretenders" on the other. This I got from reading numerous accounts of royal history. The path to the crown is really fraught with dangers, and sitting on the throne is like riding on a tiger, very hard to dismount. Thank you for your interesting review.
greenstripedgiraffe

Iamsofia wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 17:33 Wow. I love history so much and the book sounds humorous. I'll love to read it. Great review, the review is awesome
Thank you for your kind comments! :oops:
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I love books about this era of history, but you are correct that many of them are "drier than dirt". I'm excited that this one is done well. It will definitely go on my list to read! Thanks for the review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Love the premise of this book. Thanks for the review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I enjoyed your review very much! Your enthusiasm for the book and the quality of it made me want to read it, even though I am an indifferent reader of historical books. You started it out in a way that engaged me right from the beginning and I loved the way you ended: "The next period will be treated in the next book. The author is forgiven!" It rounded out the review very well. :) Thanks for the engaging review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”