Review by Tamanna -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Review by Tamanna -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Tamanna »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re looking an electrifying historical fiction filled with sorcery, illicit romance, a curse and battle axe wielding Celtic warriors, I’d say that Apollo’s Raven is the book for you. Because it has all of that.

When her half-brother Marrock in the forest abandoned Celtic Princess Catrin, she never knew that the events that had transpired in those woods had altered a curse placed upon her kingdom. Left with no memory of the incident and a strange connection to black ravens, her duty is to break the curse and understand her relationship with her raven. But soon the Romans arrive, bringing with them the threat of war, the reappearance of Marrock and the enchanting Marcellus’s invasion upon Catrin’s heart. In danger of losing her family and her people, she must find a balance between her loyalty to her family and her love for Marcellus.

Through her complex and well-developed characters, Tanner manages to weave a tale of deception, love and family. She keeps the readers on their toes with added tidbits of information that thicken the juicy gravy that is the plot.

What I loved the most about this book was the strong female characters, both primary and secondary. Characters like Catrin and her mother, Queen Rhiannon, both warriors at heart who would fight for their kingdom and who face the challenge of the Romans head on. In fact, it is Catrin’s strength and her determination that shapes her bond with Marcellus, another aspect of the book that I enjoyed. Their relationship is tentative which makes it seem a lot more realistic, especially considering their circumstances.

Along with the refreshing characters, the readers are provided with an excellent snapshot into the era. The detailed research of the setting, the customs and traditions of both the Romans and the Celts are clearly visible throughout the novel. However, one feature that can be improved is the small sentence placed before each chapter that tip-off the events of that chapter. Quite a lot of the time these sentences gave a small spoiler of what might occur.

Apollo's Raven was a rollercoaster, taking the reader on a tumultuous journey filled with twists, turns and loop-the-loops. Although much like a rollercoaster, it can be a little confusing at times, however the thrilling feeling you get as the story progresses is more than enough to want more. I am glad to have had the opportunity to read this book and I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tamanna's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ezekielafog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Ezekielafog12 »

Through her complex and well-developed characters, Tanner manages to weave a tale of deception,to be honest i love that point in your review,thanks a lot
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html

Post by Tamanna »

Ernie6988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernie6988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ernie6988 »

Very nice written review. It makes me even more curious and wanting to read this book. I can't wait.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting review! I like your comments about the description of the era. Novels are always more interesting when the author has done the necessary investigation of the time period. This author talks authoritatively about the Romans the Celts. Thanks for your insights on this book.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

In reading the review as well as the book's description this sound like it could make this book an interesting read. I being a female I like the idea of the women in the story being strong warriors. I will be adding this book Apollo's Raven to my bookshelf wants to read list.
Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”