Review by va2016 -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Review by va2016 -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by va2016 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book The Expansion by Christoph Martin. This is a fiction based on the situations surrounding the Panama Canal expansion project.

Max Burns is a reputed geomatic engineer who lives in the United Kingdom. He has a work contract with the Beauvoir Group, which is owned by Henry Beauvoir. Max is requested by his college professor Dr. Moyle to be part of another company’s team to work on the expansion of the Panama Canal. While Max is considering this, he gets one more request on the same project from his childhood friend Godfredo. Max breaks his contract with the Beauvoir Group. He moves to Panama to work with Godfredo’s father Paco. A few major nations compete to grab this project contract. Some vested interests try to make money as well as gain political mileage through this project. The reader is motivated to find out what happens next in this scintillating story.

What I like the most about this story is the detailed coverage of the prevailing geopolitical situation in Central America. The story narrates vividly the push-pulls and the treacheries that can happen in a big international project. It’s worthwhile to note that the story covers a Chinese national’s interest in constructing a canal through Nicaragua purportedly for movements of Chinese submarines between the Pacific and the Atlantic oceans. The author’s knowledge of Panama and the Panama Canal is commendable. It’s admirable that awareness is created in this book about the environmental impact of huge canal projects.

The book is meant for adults only, as there’s sexually explicit material present. A significant amount of narration revolves around United States’ efforts in maintaining its strategic importance in Central America. The narrations about United States’ secret operations, its capabilities and its resources are exciting to read about, but it gets boring after a while. It feels good to have the human emotions and feelings expressed through the Alexandra character.

The formatting throughout the book is faultless. There are 73 short chapters in this book. It would have been nice if the content had been condensed into lesser number of chapters. I could spot two mechanical errors in the book: “I” instead of “It” in the sentence that starts with ‘I would be nice’ in Chapter 9, “Summers’s office” instead of “Summers’ office” in Chapter 45. I have to mention that the cover of the book is not at all appealing. This will most probably put the reader off from selecting this book while browsing through the list of books. There are several tasteful Central American themes and designs available which could have been chosen as the cover.

Overall, I found this book a great read arguably worthy of being taken as a movie. People who like International Politics, Engineering and Business will love this book. The plot is pretty strong, which is backed by the current geopolitical situation in Central America. The various aspects of the story have been skillfully handled by the author. There are a couple of mechanical errors present, but they can be pardoned. The formatting is perfect. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like va2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You seem to have enjoyed the book immensely, va2016! I can feel your appreciation from your review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I read this book too. One of the best I've read this year so far. I agree with you about the cover, it's a downer. Nice review!
Ezekielafog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Ezekielafog12 »

I can feel your
appreciation from your review.even though have not read the book,but this will make me go get it,God bless you
Biigggg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Biigggg »

Expansion by Christopher Martin is a good book, l will probably buy it, it is interesting as it has many topics, for an example politics, engineering and contracts
michaelnicki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by michaelnicki »

Waw!... That's a nice book
I love it
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

The Expansion sounds fascinating. It's a good thing that this book is a quick read, makes it more attractive. I enjoy books with lots of twists and turns, and that seems to be the strong point of this book. I've added it to my to-read list. Thanks for the review.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rupali Mishra »

God bless you for writing such an insightful review of The Expansion, which I now find to be a very interesting book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”