Official Review: The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song" by Brian Kaufman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On the surface, The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song by Brian Kaufman, is a book about a simple independent baseball team in the minor leagues. But, just as ogres are more than they appear, this book is a metaphorical onion (or parfait) with layer after layer being revealed to the reader as the pages are flipped.

The book follows the main character, Parker Westfall, who is definitely in the autumn of his baseball career. Although his hopes are high on a call from the major leagues, he is signed at the last minute by a team that is not only in the minors, but is also an independent team (the club survives financially on attendance at games alone and is not supported by another franchise). Despite his fantastic home run record, a combination of his poor outfield game and his attitude has kept him out of the major leagues. He finds himself on a losing team with a grumpy coach that merely sticks to baseball fundamentals, a manager that cares only about the franchise's money-making possibilities, a gang of misfit players, and even the first ever female looking for a chance to fire her knuckleball all the way to the major leagues. Will Parker find his way up to the major leagues? Will the knuckleball pitcher make her dream come true or will she prove to everyone that she was simply the manager's publicity stunt? Will this mishmash of personalities come together and crawl their way out of last place this season? All this and more are in store for the reader as they follow the Fort Collins Miners throughout their season.

I started this book thinking that it was going to be a relatively simple and uncomplicated read, but boy was I mistaken. Don't get me wrong, it is an easy read with uncomplicated language (you don’t need to read something multiple times to know what the author is saying) but there is definitely more than meets the eye. I love how the author is expertly able to use baseball as a metaphor for life. Although this isn't done overtly, it is plainly clear that this book is about more than just a struggling baseball team. Parker represents all of those who are still fighting to make good on their childhood dreams, despite the clock running down. Another player has to make the call between playing injured and chasing another vocation. Finally, our publicity stunt female pitcher represents gender equality, ongoing prejudices within professional sports, and the fine line these women have to straddle in order "to be one of the guys". All these aspects and more creep slowly into your consciousness as you read about the Miners’ successes and failures. Near the end of the book, there is even a significant world/national event that takes place that adds to the complexity of the Miners’ season and the fate of its players. What I like best about this book is how down to earth it is. This isn't a hero story. All of the characters are realistically flawed; the protagonist isn't a natural and epic leader that rallies the troops to blistering victories. The team simply plays through good and bad times to fight their way to the end of the season.

There really isn't much to dislike about Brian Kaufman's work. I didn't come across any spelling or grammatical errors except for a simple mislabeling of the Roman numeral chapters above 40 (XXXX instead of XL). One downside to this book goes hand in hand with a positive aspect mentioned earlier. I know it may seem contradictory, but I think that it is a part of this book's power. We are used to literary conclusions that leave us happy, satisfied, and content that all conflict has been resolved (apart from several evident exceptions). But with The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song this is not necessarily the case (I really can't say much more without giving anything away). If you are the type that thrives on the ultimate hero, arriving in the nick of time, vanquishing all evil, marrying the damsel in distress, and riding off into the sunset, the novel’s conclusion may disappoint you.

The more I thought about The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song, the more I was drawn into the book's use of baseball as a metaphor for life. After finishing It, I began to think more about the title (I hadn't given it much thought at first) and realized that it too can have multiple meanings. The proverbial "Fat Lady" sings to mark the end of something (opera, baseball season, careers, dreams, innocence, novels, etc) and Kaufman's title hits the mark perfectly. Since it grew on me throughout the read and for each of its hidden layers, I fully believe that this book deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Its few flaws are heavily outweighed by its ability to deliver a solid product that is as relevant to baseball fans as well as avid readers of all genres. If you are a baseball aficionado who likes fiction, this is a mandatory read for you; if you are sports fan who also likes to read, you will thoroughly enjoy this one; and if you enjoy literature that outlines the struggle of the underdog and achieving your dream, you should give it a shot. I sincerely think this one has a bit of something for everyone. That being said, if you really do detest baseball or are turned off by the use of foul language in writing, you may want to steer clear of this one.

The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song
View: on Bookshelves

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds like an interesting read. I like books that make me work a little bit, and not everything I read has to have a "traditional" happy ending. (Although I do like it when things turn out well, even though I know it is not especially real to life.) Thanks for the in-depth review.
piusekeji
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by piusekeji »

this book needs more contents to make it more interesting anyway its somehow cool
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Engaging in or watching sports is far from what I would prefer as a pastime activity but I'm drawn to this book because it metaphorically depicts the realities of life.

Thank you for the wonderful review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad it's about more than baseball, but since it still has baseball in it I don't think it's for me. I'm not a baseball fan. Thanks for the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It sounds an interesting and unique book using metaphorical interpretation of characters. I think baseball lovers would like it. Thanks for your critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love the concept of a book having underground messages and the metaphorical depictions enumerated in your review proves that there are lots of angles to ruminate on. I find that I'm sufficiently curious about this book. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Am not a sports fanatic but this was a commendable review that makes me want to assess this book!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”