Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Aluria by Tyler Cook

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Aluria" by Tyler Cook.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just like Batman (also known as Bruce Wayne) pledge to protect his Gotham city. Canton had its own superhero once disappeared for 10 years!

It all began one cloudless night when Jason Conner, the sole heir to Conner estate and corporate, was out with his date Tessa. Young and innocence, Jason and Tessa found themselves abducted by the evil sorcerer called Raiz, who was pursuing for the infinite power. In this meeting, Jason sacrificed himself to save his love. Inadvertently he welcomed an extra-terrestrial spirit named Aluria (meaning Hope) who joined its powers and strength to stop this evil sorcerer. This was the begging of an unexpected journey which lead to self-discovery, determination, heroism and love that Jason never expected to take!

Aluria by Tyler Cook is the first adventure book of its series, followed by its upcoming, the Vigilante. It consists of 20 chapters plus an epilogue which indicated the upcoming story, leaving the ending on a suspenseful state. The themes generated are science fiction and fantasy with adventure plus supernatural.

The plot was a direct reflection on the story of Batman at the start, later crafted to its own uniqueness. I couldn’t help but notice, the style of comics and Japanese manga used in this plot. Anyone who is familiar with this style of work would agree with me.

Aluria is a good fantasy read. The hero isn't perfect which makes it even better. The author's use of fast-paced narrative, the dynamic opening and the flawless characters, add credentials to the story. Tyler does a great job not over doing the romance, but enough to feel the dynamic tension between the characters. The sex scene was not overly descriptive which was perfect according to the flow of the book. There was an unexpected ending on the plot. The hero at the end was someone else. This pointed out indirectly the hidden hero within us and how it can unintentionally be undervalued.

When I got a chance to review this book, I liked it instantly by reading the summary. But I found the plot a lot different to what I expected. This story pointed out to me that: because of evil, good exist to stand out for what is right!

I can honestly recommend this book for anyone who is into the unique superheroes and who enjoys a good twist. Anyone who is into Japanese manga and comics would find it very fascinating! This book would turn out better if it was a comic story which would attract comic lovers. It would be very entertaining if this plot made its way to the movie.

The only drawback was there wasn’t a list of contents available, which kept me turning pages to narrow it down. The language and the writing style used were simple. There were few vocabulary additions I noticed but I believe a proof-reading would do the trick. There were no hindrances to the flow of reading. I could have given a 4 out 4 stars if the plot was clearly edited. As for now, I will settle this with a 3 out of 4 stars.

Aluria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Very good review! I read a sampling of this book and may read the entire thing sometime in the future. I’m a very big fan of manga.
Sahani Nimandra

Momiji1987 wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 23:53 Very good review! I read a sampling of this book and may read the entire thing sometime in the future. I’m a very big fan of manga.
Ah! Then you know about it better! Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I am not familiar Japanese Manga style, but after reading your review, I think I should give it a try. Thanks for your great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Sahani Nimandra

Sarah Tariq wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:19 I am not familiar Japanese Manga style, but after reading your review, I think I should give it a try. Thanks for your great review.
You're welcome!
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

This book tells of a hero that becomes so only when possessed, thereby superpowers are acquired by him. That is necessary, however, because this hero is confronted by an enemy with superpowers likewise. His girlfriend is kidnapped, and so he must rescue her with the use of superpowers afforded him by an entity possessing him at instances of need. This is an intriguing story of fantasy suited to make our imagination wander in worlds only thoughts could reach. Thank you for the nice review.
Sahani Nimandra

Roggyrus wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 00:57 This book tells of a hero that becomes so only when possessed, thereby superpowers are acquired by him. That is necessary, however, because this hero is confronted by an enemy with superpowers likewise. His girlfriend is kidnapped, and so he must rescue her with the use of superpowers afforded him by an entity possessing him at instances of need. This is an intriguing story of fantasy suited to make our imagination wander in worlds only thoughts could reach. Thank you for the nice review.
Thank you for your thoughtful comment!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 04:13 [Following is a volunteer review of "Aluria" by Tyler Cook.]

The plot was a direct reflection on the story of Batman at the start, later crafted to its own uniqueness. I couldn’t help but notice, the style of comics and Japanese manga used in this plot. Anyone who is familiar with this style of work would agree with me.

Aluria is a good fantasy read. The hero isn't perfect which makes it even better. The author's use of fast-paced narrative, the dynamic opening and the flawless characters, add credentials to the story. Tyler does a great job not over doing the romance, but enough to feel the dynamic tension between the characters. The sex scene was not overly descriptive which was perfect according to the flow of the book. There was an unexpected ending on the plot. The hero at the end was someone else. This pointed out indirectly the hidden hero within us and how it can unintentionally be undervalued.
The book cover does remind me of the Batman symbol. It is good that the story "crafted its own uniqueness". The story sounds like a good one to read with the characters and the surprising ending.
Sahani Nimandra

LV2R wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 04:00
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 04:13 [Following is a volunteer review of "Aluria" by Tyler Cook.]

The book cover does remind me of the Batman symbol. It is good that the story "crafted its own uniqueness". The story sounds like a good one to read with the characters and the surprising ending.
Oh, yes, it was, and I'm supported why no one read this read. Thank you for commenting!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I and the rest of my family are the famous superhero's fans, but I'm not too familiar with the other theme and style you've mentioned. My real name also means hope, so the book title got me curious. You've piqued my interest enough to do a quick net search, and I now have a slight inkling as to why you've said so. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra

Espie wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 21:29
I and the rest of my family are the famous superhero's fans, but I'm not too familiar with the other theme and style you've mentioned. My real name also means hope, so the book title got me curious. You've piqued my interest enough to do a quick net search, and I now have a slight inkling as to why you've said so. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thank you! I'm glad that my review sparked your interest.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”