Review by The BookWorm Nagham -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by The BookWorm Nagham -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Ordinary Gurus I’ve Met (Mind Adventure Press, Boston, M.A) is a nonfiction book by Rob White centered on his life and the gurus that impacted him throughout the years. This book is filled with meaningful lessons, and quotes that will make you want to do better. Be better. This book will make you dream of success, give you the desire to thrive, and it will definitely give you a lot to think about.

Constituted from 21 entertaining short stories with morals and life lessons, each describing a chapter in his life, Rob White opens each chapter with a title accompanied by a myth he believed, and ends it with the lesson he learned, the transformed belief. The opening myth alerts the reader of the challenge that is coming. It let me imagine a story and try to guess the transformed myth. I liked that even though he wrote what he learned, it didn't stop me from drawing my own conclusions.

The 1st chapter made me cry, he talked about his late aunt Theresa the first guru he encountered. She was one of the kindest people he knew, she was loving and always had time to play. Despite being an amazing human being she ended up an old maid judged by all, criticized and a source of gossip. You see Rob was raised in a small town where boys grew up to become their fathers and girls married and took care of the children. And his aunt didn’t follow that system. Later on, Rob began to rebel against this said system, he stood up for a deer and challenged the authority of a police man, he changed his haircut… Funny how a single haircut could change you. Rob soon went against the traditions and the path that was decided for him. White went to college where a janitor encouraged him to put himself out there. He met Rose Kennedy, got caught cheating and left his teaching job because Debbie decided she was smarter than she believed she was.

Rob White is a self-made successful person, and by sharing these short stories he gave us an insight to his life. I liked that he was honest with us, he recounted the self-doubt he felt, and shared with us some of his most vulnerable moments. As he became more successful, he became more self-centered (some might say arrogant). Meeting Margaret was a turning point for him.

And then I met Margaret will make you laugh, scream in frustration and cry, it will make you relate to the author, and dwell on the gurus in your life. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and strongly recommend reflecting and thinking about every newly acquired lesson.

I took my time reading this book, thinking about the meaning of my life and how in return I affect the life of others with my actions and words. Although I didn't identify with all the chapters, I did see part of myself in him and began recounting stories of my own. But even though I couldn't relate with some tales it doesn't mean he didn't give us good lessons. The main point of the book is that we can find our own "gurus" in our everyday life. And hopefully I might be a guru to someone one day!

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like The BookWorm Nagham's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review of this book. You list a number of different emotions that the author evokes with his different stories. He also shares much of his own life and experiences, urging readers to discover the gurus in their own lives. Great job.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 17:44 I took my time reading this book, thinking about the meaning of my life and how in return I affect the life of others with my actions and words. Although I didn't identify with all the chapters, I did see part of myself in him and began recounting stories of my own. But even though I couldn't relate with some tales it doesn't mean he didn't give us good lessons. The main point of the book is that we can find our own "gurus" in our everyday life. And hopefully I might be a guru to someone one day!
A very well-written and convincing review. If I read this review I would want to read the book. I love the concept of noticing the everyday gurus in our lives. It sounds like you really brought that concept into your life. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but did appreciate many aspects. Check out my review if you like. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 14:50 Thanks for your review of this book. You list a number of different emotions that the author evokes with his different stories. He also shares much of his own life and experiences, urging readers to discover the gurus in their own lives. Great job.
Thank you!!
Kylou
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylou.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Kylou »

This was a beautiful review. Simple and very effective. You seem to evoke some of the same feelings and emotions I had while reading this book and provided some inspiration for me to write my own review of this book. Thank you!
"If you trust in yourself...and believe in your dreams...and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy." - Terry Pratchett
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

Kylou wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 15:09 This was a beautiful review. Simple and very effective. You seem to evoke some of the same feelings and emotions I had while reading this book and provided some inspiration for me to write my own review of this book. Thank you!
Thank you for the reply, I'm looking forward to reading your review! <3
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding not being able to relate to all his tales but still finding valuable lessons in his stories. I also found the first chapter sad and I did get teary-eyed myself. I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did. It really made me pause to reflect on my own journey.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

KFree_Reads wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 22:07 Nice review! I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding not being able to relate to all his tales but still finding valuable lessons in his stories. I also found the first chapter sad and I did get teary-eyed myself. I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did. It really made me pause to reflect on my own journey.
Thank you for taking your time and replying, the book really does make us reflect and think about our own lives. It makes us think about the little things that may have shaped us.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 14:46
KFree_Reads wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 22:07 Nice review! I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding not being able to relate to all his tales but still finding valuable lessons in his stories. I also found the first chapter sad and I did get teary-eyed myself. I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did. It really made me pause to reflect on my own journey.
Thank you for taking your time and replying, the book really does make us reflect and think about our own lives. It makes us think about the little things that may have shaped us.
You're most welcome! This book absolutely puts us in introspection mode. It makes us realize that we are not where we are because we have done it all by ourselves.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

I definitely love your review. And I am glad that you also enjoyed reading this book so much. As much as I did, I guess. Thank you for your detailed review.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

Hildah Mose wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 00:24 I definitely love your review. And I am glad that you also enjoyed reading this book so much. As much as I did, I guess. Thank you for your detailed review.
Thank you for taking the time and replying, I appreciate it. And then I met Margaret is an inspirational book that makes us think and reflect about our life. And it's really cool that we get the opportunity to read it and discuss it with others.
Morenikeji Adedeji
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 925">After We Fell</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-companion-adedeji.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Morenikeji Adedeji »

Wow!, This is so detailed, you really were so into the book. Great review. I also learnt a lot, which hopefully I will apply in my life.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

Companion Adedeji wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 18:11 Wow!, This is so detailed, you really were so into the book. Great review. I also learnt a lot, which hopefully I will apply in my life.
Thank you for replying! I appreciate it.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

You are right, everyone of us has a potential to become a guru. Moreover, the author interesting narrates his personal stories. I really enjoyed your comprehensive review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I loved the last phrase. We can all be gurus and not even realise. I liked how you saw the bigger picture from the stories. You didn't focus on each story, you took its meaning and thought about how it affected the author's life, knowing that he ends up successful. Really great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”