Official Review: No Reflection by Christopher Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Official Review: No Reflection by Christopher Johnson

Post by Kalin Adi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Reflection" by Christopher Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How many times do you look yourself in a mirror? A few times? A lot of times? The fact is that we do use the mirror every day and it’s a common item in our daily routine to see our reflection. What about using a mirror that could reflect our inner desires, feelings, and thoughts. That’s precisely what the Bible does to its readers. When reading the Bible, the reader can see his own reflection and change his imperfections. Do you read the Bible every day? No Reflection by Christopher Johnson invites you to do so in order to take advantage of its outstanding advice.

Nowadays, people distance themselves from God. Trying to close this gap, Mr. Johnson took up the task to write this book to stimulate people to seek God’s guidance. His voice is firm, yet sometimes preachy. The eighteen chapters of this book deal with different topics that are meant to induce the readers to meditate (see their reflections) and make the necessary arrangements to please God and achieve happiness in life. Topics like the cause and effect of our actions, vanity, selfishness, integrity, forgiveness, greed, deception, among others, have each a chapter in this book, and each is analyzed in a general matter.

In his writing, Mr. Johnson uses clever metaphors to make people understand the level of his spirituality and the state of mind that a person has when not having a close relationship with God. For instance, a person distanced from God could suffer of a “Vampire Syndrome”. The person behaves as a vampire. He sucks the blood of others to survive in this world (cares only about himself), avoids the light (spiritual things), and looks for darkness (sins). I often found myself agreeing with the message behind these metaphors. My favorite ones were “The Yogi Bear Syndrome,” “The Puppet Syndrome,” and Jesus is “Superman.” These metaphors help whet the reader’s appetite for knowledge in order to draw close to God.

Moreover, I delighted in reading the biblical passages quoted directly from the Bible. Seeing the Bible texts written had a positive effect. You know the relayed message isn’t from Mr. Johnson but God. Nonetheless, Mr. Johnson primarily uses the King James Version, and only occasionally, cites from other versions. Using primarily only one version of the Bible is disadvantageous. I personally do not think the Bible versions disagree on context but on syntax. Unfortunately, not everybody thinks so. Therefore, it could have been appropriate to use different Bible versions as much as possible to mark the points he wanted without bringing out controversies.

On a funny note, I couldn’t help laughing when I read Mr. Johnson’s warning at the beginning of the book. He explains why the word Satan is not capitalized throughout the book. He considers this is a privilege that the Devil does not deserve. As a Christian, I understood his point of view. As a teacher, my heart wavered every time I saw this proper noun without the proper capitalization. Nevertheless, I could sense his determination not to do anything that pleased God’s enemy, which is admirable.

While repetition is the key of retention, I would say the amount of times you repeat a phrase in a chapter must have a limit. There are instances in which the author repeats unnecessarily phrases, verses, quotations, and ideas. I got tired of reading them over and over. “I’m just saying” is a perfect example of this. In lieu of repeating the same ideas, which I think were meant for emphasis, I was expecting to learn more about specific situations and advice on how to apply what the Bible says regarding that X situation. Rather, the author generalizes.

On the other hand, I found it annoying to see the cited scriptures all together without any space. For example: Heb. 11:6KJV instead of Heb. 11:6 KJV. The missing spaces and commas in some paragraphs should be corrected to make the writing flawless. Inconsistency was another disruptive downside when reading this book. Some scriptures were hyperlinked, and you could read the verses directly from www.biblestudytools.com, which I found it useful, but not all verses were hyperlinked. On the same note, sometimes the names of the books of the Bible were abbreviated while other times they weren’t.

Besides, I would have loved to read about the life experiences of the people that are quoted in the book. I think it would have made the message stronger. Actually, that was the reason why I decided to read this book in the first place. Based on the description of the book, I was led to believe I was going to read about people’s life experiences. Nevertheless, you find none here.

Last, but not least important, the cover of the book needs a re-touch. It’s obvious to the reader the intention of the author when positioning a man in front of a mirror, but the man has no reflection. You get the message that you won’t have a reflection unless you draw close to your Creator. However, the cover is dull. The man’s t-shirt in the picture has almost the same color of the frame of the book. The font letters are white, so they make no contrast with the sky-blue color of the cover, so they have no visual impact.

Despite the drawbacks mentioned before, the message conveyed in No Reflection surpasses them. So, I consider this book is useful for the purpose it was written. Therefore, I deduct one measly star and rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There’s no doubt Mr. Johnson wrote this book for all kinds of people in his effort to help them draw close to God. So, I would recommend it to people that care about how to better themselves. Religious people and Bible readers are definitely welcomed to read it too.

No Reflection
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kalin Adi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Kalin Adi! At first, I thought this was a book about vampires. (I seem to have read somewhere that they have no reflections on mirrors.) And then, you confirm that there is a vampire in the book!

Seriously, I agree with the author that we need to read the Bible more (especially those of us who believe in God). I have always dreamed of reading the Bible from cover to cover. At least I've read Genesis and Revelation, so I have a backlog of only 71 books! Trivia: The first words in the Bible are, "In the beginning," and the last sentence is, "Amen."
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a good concept for a book. I bet it would be good to use as devotionals. I agree about the cover. It's just not striking enough to me. Thanks for the nice information on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shinishi007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shinishi007 »

I have never read "No reflection" but I support your opinion about the appareance of the book, because for me the cover of the book is a relation like (love at first sight) with the reader. So if I don't like, I don't read it.
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

@Miriam Molina
You always make me laugh, Miriam. Indeed, there was a mention of a vampire in the book. Actually, after reading the book, I've been able to identify a couple of them in real life. Hehehe.

I loved your trivia, by the way.

@Kkandscreeley
True, the concept was good. The author has really thought about the importance of God in his life and attempts to help others to do the same. I'm not sure if it'd be good for devotionals, but I'm sure Bible readers will love it.

@Shinishi007
Love at first sight with a cover or not reading a book? That sounds right with me. Thanks for stopping by.
Last edited by Kalin Adi on 13 Feb 2018, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Thank you for the very thorough review. I like how you commented on the cover...perhaps that is something I should start doing for some of my reviews. Great idea!
Felicidad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Felicidad »

I enjoyed the review! It is interesting! I liked it because it talked about the Bible; but above all, the word God is mentioned. If we are alive is because God's purpose! I would like to read the whole book☺
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

@CommMayo
I mentioned about the cover because I consider this is an important element to attract or repel readers. I'm glad you liked my idea.

@Felicidad
I'm sure you will enjoy reading this book if you're a Bible lover. Have an entertaining read!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Though I am not a Scripture reader, the book has a certain appeal that I feel could convince others like me to give this book a try. I loved the metaphors, and I'm very curious to know what those syndromes are. Thanks for this review!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

What a wonderful review. I regret I am not that close to God. This book might close up the gap yet and bring some sort of intimacy, I hope. I have been a godly person, although not religious. Not so religious as to be apparent with people carrying prayer beads, or sporting items to "flaunt" faith. My apologies for using that word, so I might turn it down to "identify with the flock" as what Jesus so fondly refers to the faithful. Thanks for your review.

You mentioned vampires, indeed, No Reflection may refer to vampires who are said to have no reflection in the mirror.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a book for developing connection with God. Spirituality is the peace of mind and imperative to built up integrity. Thanks for your insightful review. "Who Told You that You Were Naked" is the same kind of book. You can check out my review,if you like.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

@inaramid
Curiosity in this case is good. Give the book a try and you'll discover what those syndromes are about. You'll laugh, yet you'll agree.

@ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
I understand when you say you're not the religious type. I don't think we have to be in a church 24/7, but I do consider we must read the Bible, for it is our compass.

@Sarah Tariq
Indeed, the book intents to connect the readers with God. Thanks for stopping by.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Loved reading your review! I agree with the author that we really have no reflection without the influence of God and while I love to have deep thoughts on spirituality, I may not necessarily opt to read the book. I also think the cover is rather bland and lacks that pulling-in effect. Too bad there weren't enough "people-experiences" to fully satisfy you. Glad you still enjoyed reading.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

Vickie Noel wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 13:30 Loved reading your review! I agree with the author that we really have no reflection without the influence of God and while I love to have deep thoughts on spirituality, I may not necessarily opt to read the book. I also think the cover is rather bland and lacks that pulling-in effect. Too bad there weren't enough "people-experiences" to fully satisfy you. Glad you still enjoyed reading.
Bible reminders are always welcomed and the book does have a lot of scriptures that make you reflect. That's why I enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by, Vickie Noel.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”