Review by Hildah Mose -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by Hildah Mose -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Hildah Mose »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And then I met Margaret by Rob White is an interesting non-fiction memoir about his journey through life and how he got to where he is. He uses life's lessons he learnt from the ordinary men and women he met in his life who turn out to be "Gurus" among them.

It contains meticulously selected set of life-transforming short stories from the author's life, which are categorized into 21 chapters. At the beginning of each chapter is a myth which the writer believes in. This is followed by some events that happened, and at the end of the chapter the myth is repeated with the reality, he later discovered.

Rob White, grew up in a small mill town in America, where he was destined to work in the factory like his father, grandfather and most of the people in the town. The stories follow him through college and at various job endeavors as a teacher, Real estate entrepreneur, restaurateur, inspirational speaker and so much more.

His main teaching throughout is that, we should be open minded and receptive, to teachings of the unexpected "gurus" in our lives. And allow them to impact and change our old ways of thinking. I was particularly struck by the story on his aunt Theresa. The author shows us the depth of human kindness and love. His ability to always pass on the lessons that he has learnt was equally impressive. Not only is he relatable, he is also a very humorous person. He has a way of expressing his ideas that leaves one rolling with laughter.

Though others may find him a little bit arrogant and full of himself, for me, he came out as a man who was never afraid to live; and to live life to the fullest. The title is also abit misleading as you might be led to believe the story is a life changing romance, which is definitely not the case. The book has very few grammatical errors, it seemed to have been professionally edited. The errors include repeated words, for instance, when I was I was approached and misspelled words, like, a little better though there lives. But this two grammatical errors did not deter my reading.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. My rating is as a result of the reasons mentioned above and how effortless it was to follow. Once I started reading it, I could not stop. It was written neatly without much philosophy and is very inspirational.

I recommend this book to everyone who can have an open mind and is willing to examine their own lives. And to all those on the path to success who need another person's experience.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Hildah Mose's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I don't think you are the first to find the author more than a little arrogant!

Thank you for your review and I"m glad you enjoyed this book so much.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

CommMayo wrote: โ†‘14 Feb 2018, 16:49 I don't think you are the first to find the author more than a little arrogant!

Thank you for your review and I"m glad you enjoyed this book so much.
Thanks CommMayo. I am glad to hear from you once again.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I really like this self transforming, motivational book. Rob White did a great by introducing himself from a layman type job to an established entrepreneur. I think every one faces such gurus. Thanks for this comprehensive review. Do check out my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

Sarah Tariq wrote: โ†‘15 Feb 2018, 12:20 I really like this self transforming, motivational book. Rob White did a great by introducing himself from a layman type job to an established entrepreneur. I think every one faces such gurus. Thanks for this comprehensive review. Do check out my review.
you are right. we all face different ordinary gurus. only that most don't take time to learn from them. thanks for passing by. i will check your review
Salomeojumah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Salomeojumah »

The most captivating part when i was reading the book is the way Robe White expresses his ideas,i like your reveiw
Vincentsobera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Vincentsobera »

I real like the book,its emotional thought provoking and to add on it has a sense of humour,thenx hilda for figuring out the minimal errors in the book.
nellylimo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nellylimo »

Nice reveiw Hildah,i think i have to look for this book this time,its quite motivating
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

Salomeojumah wrote: โ†‘16 Feb 2018, 07:23 The most captivating part when i was reading the book is the way Robe White expresses his ideas,i like your reveiw
Thanks for your comment. I am glad you liked his way of expression.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

nellylimo wrote: โ†‘16 Feb 2018, 07:51 Nice reveiw Hildah,i think i have to look for this book this time,its quite motivating
You really have to get the chance to read this book. It will be worth your time. Thanks for passing by.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

Vincentsobera wrote: โ†‘16 Feb 2018, 07:40 I real like the book,its emotional thought provoking and to add on it has a sense of humour,thenx hilda for figuring out the minimal errors in the book.
I hope you get the chance to read this book. And for me, I hope I get the chance to meet a person like him. He must be a really humorous person. It's always a pleasure to hear from you
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review, Hildah. I don't usually have much interest in motivational books, but your review has made me think that this book contains some interesting stories if nothing else.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Hildah Mose wrote: โ†‘07 Feb 2018, 11:11 Though others may find him a little bit arrogant and full of himself, for me, he came out as a man who was never afraid to live; and to live life to the fullest.
I had the same thought! Rob White is a self made successful person, who followed his dreams and wasn't afraid of failure. He's a daring man who's sharing with us his life changing moments, the stories that shaped him. Thank you for your review, the story of his aunt Theresa affected me too. Check out my review if you like. Keep writing!
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: โ†‘16 Feb 2018, 14:11
Hildah Mose wrote: โ†‘07 Feb 2018, 11:11 Though others may find him a little bit arrogant and full of himself, for me, he came out as a man who was never afraid to live; and to live life to the fullest.
I had the same thought! Rob White is a self made successful person, who followed his dreams and wasn't afraid of failure. He's a daring man who's sharing with us his life changing moments, the stories that shaped him. Thank you for your review, the story of his aunt Theresa affected me too. Check out my review if you like. Keep writing!
Thank you for your time. I am glad we both agree on Rob White's character. I will definitely check your review
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

Irene C wrote: โ†‘16 Feb 2018, 12:33 Thanks for this review, Hildah. I don't usually have much interest in motivational books, but your review has made me think that this book contains some interesting stories if nothing else.
It sure does Irene. If you get the chance, please take a look at this one. You may love it. Thank you.

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€