Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have had my fair share in reviewing books but this is truly one of the best book that I have come across, which was completed for utter perfection. Not only does the book offer a fun and adventurous ride to its readers, it also reflected on the author’s mind-set. The Island Games: Mystery of the four quadrants by Caleb J. Boyer is truly a remarkable book that reflects on valuing friendship, exercising the importance of team work and how to develop a strong character.

The background of the story is set on an island where each part of it brings out its A-game in challenging the protagonist. Designed with 23 chapters; the key audience were teenagers but it would not hurt if adults read it. Actually, the book has more to offer in a very entertaining way. The genre is fictional-adventure.

The story sets in when Matthew and Ryan (teens) found themselves on a stranded, estranged island not knowing how they came to be. With blurred memories of their past, who they were and where they are from; Matthew and Ryan realized that they have only each other and that they have to work together if they were to survive on this island, no matter what!

Plot was a very descriptive and the flow of the plot was maintained well for the reader’s imagination. The writing style was simple, which was made easy for the reader to grasp the message. The detailed picture given about the two main protagonist was very effective; it painted a clear image about the protagonist and the challenges they had to encounter. A good visualization was provided by the plot.

The characteristics of the main protagonist was very interesting! Matthew was a serious, think-before-do type, and who has a positive mind-set while Ryan was a go-to-flow person who was the opposite of Matthew. Throughout the development of the story we can see how these two protagonist work together, how their characteristics got stronger and sharper after every challenge. It has been clearly shown, the influence of Matthew's positive character had a direct impact on Ryan, which resulted in Ryan's change.

I found myself drowning through pages, and I asked what would I do if I had to face that kind of situation? The plot was very engaging and it never reduced my curiosity. I believe the author has achieved what he had worked hard for. His imagination truly gives credit to him. The story provided an insightful detail about the reality of life. Lessons like the life challenges that each of us has to battle fearlessly, importance of having a positive and never-give-up attitude, learn to embrace opportunity and appreciate what you have in life, learn to take risks and use their intuitions, was highlighted throughout.

The story ended on a cliffhanger but the author had provided his reasons. The purpose of writing this book as mentioned by the author was to inspire others to believe in themselves and to realize that any obstacle can be overcome; I couldn't agree more! There was no hindrance what so ever that kept me away from giving a 4 out of 4 stars. The message was admirable and I would like to share a quote from the book, “...it's not really about what life throws your way, because bad things can happen and often times to really good people. It’s really about how you face those challenges.”- Matthew, Page 180.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a great book for young adults to explore how to overcome challenges and break through that mental barrier. And like you say, adults will benefit from reading this book too. I like how you concluded your review with a quote from one of the protagonists.
Sahani Nimandra

CommMayo wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 10:18 Sounds like a great book for young adults to explore how to overcome challenges and break through that mental barrier. And like you say, adults will benefit from reading this book too. I like how you concluded your review with a quote from one of the protagonists.
Thank you so much for your comment!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I completely agreed with you on this book! The writing was simplistic, yet it was perfect for the age group. It was adventurous yet it had a message to it. Plus, either Mr. Boyer is a genius or there was a great editor because I found not ONE mistake! Truly great to see someone so young do so well! Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 08:26 I completely agreed with you on this book! The writing was simplistic, yet it was perfect for the age group. It was adventurous yet it had a message to it. Plus, either Mr. Boyer is a genius or there was a great editor because I found not ONE mistake! Truly great to see someone so young do so well! Thanks for the review!
And thank you for your comment!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

CommMayo wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 10:18 Sounds like a great book for young adults to explore how to overcome challenges and break through that mental barrier. And like you say, adults will benefit from reading this book too. I like how you concluded your review with a quote from one of the protagonists.
Yeah the quote at the end was cool! I think this book is a bit too simplistic for adults and definitely caters to a younger audience, but the themes are timely and so important. I wrote a review on this book too, so let me know what you think!
Sahani Nimandra

AbbyGNelson wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 11:49
Yeah the quote at the end was cool! I think this book is a bit too simplistic for adults and definitely caters to a younger audience, but the themes are timely and so important. I wrote a review on this book too, so let me know what you think!
Yes, I would like to do that! And thank you for commenting!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 12:46 Yes, I would like to do that! And thank you for commenting!
You're welcome! And I really appreciate that :)
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

Nice review there. I really liked how the author focused on teamwork and the value of true friendship. A much-needed lesson for children of his age and younger. I have also reviewed this book and you may leave a note if you agree or disagree with my viewpoint. Although I rated the book 3 only because I felt that the writer has a lot of room for improvement.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
Sahani Nimandra

Kinkini wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 01:16 Nice review there. I really liked how the author focused on teamwork and the value of true friendship. A much-needed lesson for children of his age and younger. I have also reviewed this book and you may leave a note if you agree or disagree with my viewpoint. Although I rated the book 3 only because I felt that the writer has a lot of room for improvement.
That's true that he has room for improvement but yet for been a 12 year old he has done a good job. Yes sure why not I could definitely check your review. Thanks for commenting, Kinkini!
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Happy to know you’ve read and reviewed this wonderful book too @Sahani Nimandra :techie-studyingbrown: it’s one that i will be remembering for a long time too👍Thank you for this enjoyable review you shared with us :tiphat: Congratulations to Author Caleb on the #BOTD and for the success this book has brought him👏👏👏God bless!
Sahani Nimandra

Ma Cheryll wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 11:07 Happy to know you’ve read and reviewed this wonderful book too @Sahani Nimandra :techie-studyingbrown: it’s one that i will be remembering for a long time too👍Thank you for this enjoyable review you shared with us :tiphat: Congratulations to Author Caleb on the #BOTD and for the success this book has brought him👏👏👏God bless!
Yes, I'm very happy with his work. I was really impressed with his work. I mean for a 12 year-old kid to execute a flawless book as this. Impressive! I'm glad that you enjoyed my review! Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

The first time I've read the title, I thought it is like a hunger game type of book, but booy I was wrong. The story sounds really interesting, the characters are intriguing too. I would like to read this one in the future.
Sahani Nimandra

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 13:14 The first time I've read the title, I thought it is like a hunger game type of book, but booy I was wrong. The story sounds really interesting, the characters are intriguing too. I would like to read this one in the future.
I'm glad you liked it. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 03:11 [Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]

I have had my fair share in reviewing books but this is truly one of the best book that I have come across, which was completed for utter perfection. Not only does the book offer a fun and adventurous ride to its readers, it also reflected on the author’s mind-set. The Island Games: Mystery of the four quadrants by Caleb J. Boyer is truly a remarkable book that reflects on valuing friendship, exercising the importance of team work and how to develop a strong character.

I found myself drowning through pages, and I asked what would I do if I had to face that kind of situation? The plot was very engaging and it never reduced my curiosity. I believe the author has achieved what he had worked hard for. His imagination truly gives credit to him. The story provided an insightful detail about the reality of life. Lessons like the life challenges that each of us has to battle fearlessly, importance of having a positive and never-give-up attitude, learn to embrace opportunity and appreciate what you have in life, learn to take risks and use their intuitions, was highlighted throughout.

The story ended on a cliffhanger but the author had provided his reasons. The purpose of writing this book as mentioned by the author was to inspire others to believe in themselves and to realize that any obstacle can be overcome; I couldn't agree more! There was no hindrance what so ever that kept me away from giving a 4 out of 4 stars. The message was admirable and I would like to share a quote from the book, “...it's not really about what life throws your way, because bad things can happen and often times to really good people. It’s really about how you face those challenges.”- Matthew, Page 180.
I, too, enjoyed reading this book about Matthew and Ryan, who had two distinct personalities and relied on each other to survive and find a way off the island. I liked the lessons of never giving up, taking risks, and facing challenges. I liked how you stated your rating of the book. Nice job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”