Official Review: You Only Think God Is Silent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Official Review: You Only Think God Is Silent

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Only Think God Is Silent" by Julie Ann Allen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You Only Think God is Silent by Julie Ann Allen is the personal account of a recent widow’s journey of faith after her husband’s unexpected death. Prior to the accident, she had the perfect life. Two small children, a loving spouse, and a vibrant church family. She was always busy, but never had trouble hearing God. Then, everything changed. On her birthday, tragedy struck her family. Her husband Elan went to work and never came home. His car was still in the parking lot at his last stop, but no one knew where he was. She prayed for a message from God, but heard nothing. She initially thought she’d lost the ability to hear God, but then realized He had been speaking to her the entire time. She didn’t want to believe her beloved was gone, even though God had told her in her heart that he was. When she recognized her error, God led her and the search party to Elan, giving her closure on his disappearance. This book is about the aftermath of her loss and all the ways God blessed and comforted her once she relinquished control of literally everything to Him. The author details her spiritual transformation from a woman lost in the midst of grief, to one strengthened and restored to happiness by her faith.

This review is one of the hardest and most important ones I will ever write. Due to the deeply personal nature of this book, I feel a sense of responsibility to communicate my thoughts more carefully than in past reviews. This book features the true account of the author’s loss and every dark moment she experienced as she adjusted to life as a single mom. Reading about her family’s tragedy, is difficult and heartbreaking at times. The author’s love for Elan and her sorrow are keenly felt and her connection to God is equally emotional. She writes candidly and factually about what happened. She also explains in detail how she worked through her faith to overcome this period of unimaginable heartbreak. Her ability to transform what she went through into something positive is not only amazing, it affects you on a deep, spiritual level.

The author writes this book out of a desire to help others recognize God’s role in their lives in the midst of tragedy. By using herself as an example and combining her conclusions with scriptural support, she seeks to lead the reader down a path of inward reflection. Her story really makes you think about how you would react if you were in the same situation. Would you blame God? Would you question His existence? Would your faith grow stronger? How would you respond to friends telling you that your pain was “God’s will”? The author explains how God helped her confront these questions and provided solace through self-reflection, revelation, and scripture. Every chapter has an important lesson in faith that she explains clearly through her own experiences and biblical expertise.

After almost every chapter, the book has a section titled “Making it Personal” that invites the reader to focus internally on their own faith. The Bible is a necessary component to getting the full benefit of these sections and completing the exercises. In every chapter she discusses a theme that carries over into Bible study and several pages of questions. Each question allows the reader to reflect on and explore their understanding of God. The exercises invite the reader to recall moments when God took part in their lives, their responses to difficult situations, and ways they have fallen short in their faith. Close to half of the book is made up of these personal sections, so they are an integral part of the entire experience. I really enjoyed doing these exercises and benefitted from the spiritual enrichment I received from the Bible.

The author’s story and her strong command of spiritual matters were so educational for me. She clarified many things I had wondered about and taught me so much about my own relationship with God. While I have not experienced the type of tragedy she has, I have had my own unique struggles that this book helped me with. For instance, the author tells you how to know if you are living within God’s will and what it feels like. When she discussed that topic, I realized I have felt what she was describing and it touched me deeply to finally understand God has been speaking to me. I needed to hear that because I had doubts and questions about whether or not I was doing the right thing. I am thankful to now have confirmation.

Many of the personal experiences the author relates are amazing to read about. Through her grief, she learned to rely on God for the simplest of matters, like getting dressed in the morning. Miraculously, she was always dressed appropriately for whatever she encountered that day. That story reminded me of times the exact things I needed had popped up in my life unexpectedly. I knew they were God-given, but reading about it happening to another believer, strengthens my faith.

Her unique perspective on scripture was also very interesting to read. One of my favorite chapters was her interpretation of the fishing net analogy. She gave me a fresh look at those parts of the Bible that would have never occurred to me. That chapter alone is worth investing time in this book.

This book was very professionally edited and I only noticed two errors. On page 54, she meant to read all the way through Job 2:10, but wrote Job 2:9. On page 138, there is a confusing sentence that needs to be edited. Otherwise, this book has no issues.

I highly recommend You Only Think God is Silent to readers of faith. Regardless of whether or not you have experienced what the author has, you will learn from and be inspired by her resolve. Sad as her story is, it’s still full of hope, faith, and love. Even skeptics could benefit from this book as long as they’re open-minded and interested in understanding the psychology of believers impacted by loss. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I am thankful, blessed, and feel better from having read it.

You Only Think God Is Silent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

i love the review being a believer myself im looking forward to reading it
pilvi
Currently Reading: Hyvää ja halpaa
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilvi.html
Latest Review: The Dying Teach Us How to Live by Patricia M. Acker, Author and Illustrator

Post by pilvi »

What a beautiful review. Thank you for writing it.
Pharris53
Favorite Book: Angels Are for Real
Currently Reading: Witness
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharris53.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Pharris53 »

Love you review. Really makes me want to read this book soon.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Really great! I hope that if anyone stumble upon this book that they would find it useful. According to the way this world is going, I don't know where it will end up in but I certainly know that one who is close to god and whomis pious would survive. Thanks for you excessive details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Rose_13
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kealani.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rose_13 »

This is a really beautiful review, I truly enjoyed reading it.
You Only Think God Is Silent sounds like a really good book and
maybe in the future I'll read it too. I've personally went through something similar with my fiancee.
I can only imagine how much harder it was for her since they were not only married but
had two kids as well.

Wonderful review and glad it helped you as well(:
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Readergmp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readergmp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Readergmp »

I just recently joined the OnlineBookClub. Already, after reading you review, I felt compelled to write a post. I think it because of the personal nature of the review. I believe, I would enjoy the book and no doubt probably even shed some tears. But, then experience a sense of hope, grace, and a spiritual uplift, all at the same time.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

While I usually love spiritual books, I don't know that I can read this one. I am a little curious of how she overcame, but I don't know that it'd offer me any real assistance in handling tragedy. I lost a 5.5-month-old baby to SIDs in 1993 and still haven't healed from it, even after both reading and watching The Shack, which I thought would help. In fact, I'm fairly certain that that one event is the reason I struggle in feeling really close to God, even today. So I'm 100% certain that if I lost my beloved, I'd go crazy and probably off myself and nothing short of God appearing before me in the flesh would stop me.
RJWaugh
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Currently Reading: The Word Collector
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjwaugh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by RJWaugh »

I really enjoyed reading your review! It provided a very personal description that intrigued me to read this myself. Thank you for providing such a nice review!
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I loved reading this review. It, essentially, makes me feel the powerfulness nature of the book and that drives me to try and get the book. I think ill check it out.
Wise_daniel
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wise_daniel »

I love this book, it's a nice book to read as a believer, it boosts your faith. I recommend it to almost every one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! My husband is my soulmate, and I just can't imagine losing him. For the author to have gone through this all and come out on the other side is amazing. Then the fact that she's willing to share it all with others is truly wonderful. This sounds like a very inspiring book that we could all learn from whether we've been through what she has or not. Thank you so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

mamalui wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 12:15 i love the review being a believer myself im looking forward to reading it
Thanks for stopping by to read my review. This book is definitely special and I hope it helps you as much as it did me.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

pilvi wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 17:30 What a beautiful review. Thank you for writing it.
Thank you so much. The book is far better than my review!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Pharris53 wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 20:13 Love you review. Really makes me want to read this book soon.
Thank you, I appreciate your comments.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”