Review by raboateng94 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raboateng94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raboateng94.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by raboateng94 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by raboateng94 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret, Stories of Ordinary Gurus I’ve Met is a non-fiction book by Rob White containing several short but linking stories about ordinary people who taught him some important lessons throughout his life. Some of these people are family, friends and strangers alike, whom he refers to as ‘Gurus’. He begins each chapter of the book with a myth he believed, and then narrates a story that taught him an important lesson, ending with a reality he discovered after contact with each of these Gurus.

Rob White’s encounter with these gurus helped to shape his values and outlook on life, as they taught him relevant lessons on honesty, humility, positive thinking and selflessness. These experiences were instrumental in his advancement as a fulfilled and successful business man.

My favorite of all the stories is the one on ‘running with the bulls’. Aside being quite hilarious, it made me realize that we tend to spend our energies on the things that matter the least, often missing the very essence or point of it all. In order to enjoy our life to the fullest and come to the end of it with very little regret, we have to open our minds and free ourselves. Another key lesson is that there is something to be learnt from any person or situation we come across.

The Author grew up in a mill town, where he was expected, just like his father to work in one of the two local mills after graduating from high school. However, he left the town for college, studied at the University of Massachusetts and became a school teacher. After several years in the teaching profession, Rob White left and after some struggles, became a successful real estate developer and restaurateur.
His story reiterates the fact that man would continue to seek a deeper inner sense of satisfaction even after he has acquired immense wealth, status and prominence.

The book is made up of 21 chapters and spans 196 pages and the stories are in a chronological order.

This book takes us through Rob White’s journey and makes him one of our very own gurus. It is engaging and easy to relate to and is indeed a worthy read. It helps one to understand and appreciate the actions and inaction of those around us and highlights the lessons that can be learnt thereof. I recommend this book to anyone interested in self-discovery, self-improvement and self-worth. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like raboateng94's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”