Official Review: L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Official Review: L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century

Post by SPasciuti »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century" by Jason R. Richter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in a futuristic world where even the smallest mistake or misunderstanding can lead to a person receiving the label of terrorist, L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century by Jason R. Richter tells a tale of American culture in extremes. The story follows P. McGewan-X04, whose life is progressing normally in a very consumer-driven and patriotism centric world when suddenly an engineering mistake accidentally causes a forty-ton container to fall from an airship onto his car as he is driving home. The event is quickly determined to be an act of terror and the man in charge of loading the airship is promptly executed. Upon awakening, P. McGewan's life quickly changes as he slowly becomes aware of what is truly happening in the world around him.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century was intriguing from the start. The dystopian and futuristic setting in which the main character resides is an impressive imagining of consumerism in an extreme that eerily captures the dangers of the very similar preoccupation that exists in America today. The Government uses patriotism to control the masses, pushing the idea that it is linked irreversibly with the constant purchasing of goods. The population is regularly brainwashed into compliance with threats of terrorist attacks and the idea that anyone making mistakes or showing a lack of support for the country is a terrorist themselves.

There was a lot to like about Richter's novel. I was pulled right into the story and the premise brilliantly managed to make me truly think about the message the author was trying to send. I found myself enjoying every aspect of the novel as I read it, eagerly devouring each page. The plot was very imaginative and well executed which only made me love it all the more. Richter built a beautifully terrifying world for his readers that I even felt myself missing once I'd finished reading.

Best of all, Richter's characters were clever and interesting. Not only did they seem very real, but I felt genuinely invested in their lives and futures. They were all quite unique and I adored the main character, P. McGewan-X04, who was often portrayed as honorable and intelligent. He was abrasive on occasion, but I found the brashness had an endearing quality to it when paired with the rest of his personality.

The only disappointment I experienced while reading this book came when I read the epilogue. While I found it entertaining at first as it gave me an opportunity to see where the characters were after all they'd been through, the epilogue felt extremely out of place. It didn't seem to match the rest of the book at all and there was nothing to lead readers into the odd plot twist. It ultimately felt unnecessary, out of the blue, and confusing. I truly believe Richter's book would be much better without it.

At the end of the day, I really loved L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century. Despite the strange epilogue, I found Richter to be a masterful writer and storyteller, which is why I rated his book 4 out of 4 stars. I think L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century could appeal to a great number of people, particularly adults who enjoy dystopian and science fiction novels. I'm glad that I had the chance to read it.

L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SPasciuti's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You know, I've read epilogues like that before. They just seem to come out of nowhere and leave you saying what? Still, the book sounds interesting, and I do love a good dystopian read. It looks like one I'll have to put on my list! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I always try to keep away from the futuristic and dystopian kind of books. This one sounds promising but I would be lying to myself if I picked it up.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I'm generally not into dystopian or post-apocalyptic tales, either, as I usually find them too formulaic. But this story sounds like it could be an exception. I also wonder -- Do the letters in "L.I.F.E." stand for anything or is there an explanation for the way it's written?
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I'm a huge fan of dystopian novels and this one sounds very interesting. I think I will give it a try. Great review, I really enjoyed it.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Your review makes me want to read this book. From your description I think it unfortunately bears resemblance to things happening in many countries in the world these days. Thank you.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Ismail123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ismail123 »

I am posting this to encourage the would hidden identity personally to make sure that they spend much of their time reading this book as they can learn great deal of hidden identity.
Ismail123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ismail123 »

I'm a huge fan of dystopian novels and this one sounds very interesting. I think I will give it a try. Great review, I really enjoyed it.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I am not a major fan of dystopian novels but for some reason this seems to call out to me. Great review.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This is a great review for a book that sounds really interesting. Perhaps any future reader should just stop reading before they get to the epilogue!
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

I'm not really into dystopian novels (I have no interest in the Hunger Games series, for instance), but this could be interesting. Perhaps I'll add it to my list. Thanks for a good review!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Ah, the epilogue. I have a love/hate relationship with that part of the novel. They seem to be a hit or miss for many of the books I've read. Anyway, great review! You make this sound so intriguing. I'm a little fed up with dystopian stories at the moment though, but I'd be sure to pick this up some time in the future.
Ginge
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ginge »

SPasciuti's Review of L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century" by Jason R. Richter" depicts an interesting view point of the 23rd century. It could be a book for people who enjoy 1984 by George Orwell.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

The epilogue has attracted a lot of attention here. I have loved your review. I wouldn't wish to make mistakes as one earns the label terrorist with little effort.
From the book, it seems that executioners were in high demand.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
vanessaonelove
Currently Reading: A Return to Love
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaonelove.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B013EX0QM6

Post by vanessaonelove »

Oh yes please! Dystopia? Future world order? Consumerism? Patrotism as propoganda? Yes. Yes. Yes and yes please! The title grabbed me as sci-fi lover but this excelllent review has reaffirmed that instinctive choice and I am dying to get into this world, it's politics and to see what the end reveals. Thank you SPascuiti!!!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”