Review by babathoust -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Review by babathoust -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Baba Thoust »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Self help books are among my favorite books as a young reader, as I continue on this journey called life, once in a while I look for some inspiration and where else is the best place to find some? And Then I Met Margret is a Non-Fiction book by Rob White. The author tells brief stories of events that occurred in his life that proved vital in transforming him from his conditioned old self; to the successful man he is today.

And Then I Met Margret gets the reader into the shoes of the author as he goes through a series events that fatefully put gurus along his journey to success. These gurus get him into a self- actualization state. Hey are not limited to the old monks and Buddhas as one might presume. They include family members, total strangers, business acquaintances and the author’s favorite, a young girl called Margret. Margret is specifically noteworthy to the author because, to him, she gave him the most crucial lesson that completely changed his life. In each story the author begins by exposing his initial belief before he can illustrate a story of an event that happened in his life that then challenges the myth he believed. He learns from an experience in each event and comes up with a new realization from his experience after each story.

The book influences reader notably. By reading through some stories, you get to see how the author was able to keep an open mind so as to learn from some events that might seem insignificant on a typical day. As a reader, I got some influence off this and without a doubt I’m certain it may also influence other readers who enjoy self-help books.

I particularly enjoyed the myth feature in the book, it gave me direction to what message the author intended to propel home. I also appreciated how the stories are written in chronological order, from when he was just a young boy to when he is an established man. This gives a sense of identification with the author to any reader of any age in between this age bracket. The stories were also short and only contained the significant bits; making the book less tedious.

However, I only had one problem with the book. Some stories didn’t particularly make sense of how he got out of some situations. In one story he was in a serious dept problem, he goes on to explain how he was able to get back on his feet mentally and spiritually but not how he got himself out of the tangible situation. I would have enjoyed the book more if this story had a concrete conclusion, or rather just omit it completely if probably the author was not completely confident in divulging the whole story. This only happened in one story.

The book has minor grammatical errors, quite exemplary editing. This is why I give How I Met Margret a 4 out of 4 rating without hesitation. The author tries to improve the reader’s life by exposing his own, he is honest in his judgments through life and therefore I recommend it to any reader over their teenage years. I completely agree with the author that; the transformation is ultimately dependent upon our denying a lie that has been stopping us from breaking through to higher levels of living.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like babathoust's review? Post a comment saying so!
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

The title of the book had me thinking that perhaps Margret was the author's wife, so I find it amazing that she was just a little girl. Speaks volumes about Rob White, that he's willing to learn even from young ones provided it improves his life. From your review, the book has a lot of positive help for self-improvement. Nice review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:

Post by Baba Thoust »

Blackstenius wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 00:58 The title of the book had me thinking that perhaps Margret was the author's wife, so I find it amazing that she was just a little girl. Speaks volumes about Rob White, that he's willing to learn even from young ones provided it improves his life. From your review, the book has a lot of positive help for self-improvement. Nice review.
Inspiration can come from unexpected places :). Thank you for stopping by and reading my review.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Sounds like a great book. I wonder what kind of stories did the author share and how impactful they were. Great review.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:

Post by Baba Thoust »

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 01:27 Sounds like a great book. I wonder what kind of stories did the author share and how impactful they were. Great review.
The stories were touching. I had a splendid time reading it. Thank you for your comment.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I love the title of this book, and after reading your review, I think perhaps we all need some Margarets in our lives.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:

Post by Baba Thoust »

diana lowery wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 12:22 I love the title of this book, and after reading your review, I think perhaps we all need some Margarets in our lives.
Indeed. Sometimes its in the simplest places where we can find inspiration.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

I love self-help books that are organized and contain experiences that the author really lived. It seems from your review that it is an interesting book that I will put in my reading plan. Great review
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Self-help books aren’t really my thing, but I can see their relevance. I do appreciate how Mr. White uses his own experiences to help the reader. They might be going through the same thing and be wondering what is the best way to deal with it.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:

Post by Baba Thoust »

Sarah Zain wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 10:36 I love self-help books that are organized and contain experiences that the author really lived. It seems from your review that it is an interesting book that I will put in my reading plan. Great review
Do consider reading it. I'm sure I have sold it short on this review. However, thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts on it.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:

Post by Baba Thoust »

Amy Luman wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 10:44 Self-help books aren’t really my thing, but I can see their relevance. I do appreciate how Mr. White uses his own experiences to help the reader. They might be going through the same thing and be wondering what is the best way to deal with it.
Precisely. Rob goes further to elaborate his thought processes through the experiencs, and how they impacted him. Even if it is not among your preferences, do consider a read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”