Official Review: Alien in the Delta by Thankful Strother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Re: Official Review: Alien in the Delta by Thankful Strother

Post by N_R »

Very interesting review, thank you for this. I love how he changed his name to Thankful, it is a very prominent reminder of what we should be every day.
Avrd91+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Avrd91+ »

Thanks for the review. it's an encouraging read and look forward to adding it to my must read list.
Mim1954+
Currently Reading: Funerals for Horses
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mim1954+ »

This review is thoughtful and thorough. The synopsis of the subject matter is helpful and I appreciate the warning about adult situations and language.

I enjoy memoirs and am looking forward to reading it based on the review. Thanks.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

It sounds like this author has had an interesting life and has some great stories to tell. Looking forward to reading this. Thank for the great review!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds like a very moving and educational memoir. I like memoirs that have really interesting life lessons for readers. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Naomi_orear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Naomi_orear »

Great review. This type of "no chapters" book is intriguing to me. I'm not a huge fan of books based in that era of history...but I believe that in this type of writing style, I would be able to enjoy reading it in smaller spurts.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Although the story looks fascinating, I will be skipping this one. I just can't see myself reading memoirs since they are not something I am into. Nonetheless, thank you for the review
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I understand your point about the misspellings and other errors. I'm glad that you liked the book overall though!
deannathomas1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by deannathomas1 »

The author tells his life story through short clips of events throughout his life. For the first third of the book, I wasn't sure I'd continue reading. But, at some point, I was hooked, and enjoyed it to the end. It was an easy read (although it could use a copy editor's touch), and was told in an easy, personal way, without embellishment. Although born into poverty, in the U.S. South in 1943 as a Black male, his story was told without anger or complaint. Here's a man who made for himself and his family a good life, not by elbowing his way through or making aggressive moves, but by making some good long-term decisions along the way, taking the hard road when necessary, taking a few risks, and by consciously choosing a career where he could do what he enjoyed. This is not to say his life was easy, for it was most certainly not. An interesting, easy read -- and a memorable one.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

Memoirs for me are really touch and go. Alien In The Delta sounds like a really good read because of the diverse memories of the author. The conversational series of short stories sounds like it would be an easy read for those who don't have a whole lot of time dedicated to sitting and reading a book. This book has been added to my "to be read" shelf and I look forward to reading it this upcoming weekend.

P.S. I love your name by the way, quite quirky!
Jsoe
Currently Reading: Petals of Blood
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Jsoe »

Thanks for the review. Perhaps Thankful strother is an alien because of being black in a white country. He manages to get out of the delta because of his power of positivity,which he uses in the worst. As a lover of history,i must read it fully
chrismar14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by chrismar14 »

:P this book is good to read has great history of us that you need to know
SwapsB
Currently Reading: The Lucky One
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by SwapsB »

Your review really gives a good insight into book and one can decide to read it.I am not really into history genres, like the review :)
Bewa
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades Darker
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bewa.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bewa »

Alien in the Delta is a book that gives one hope. Though the story is based on struggles from years back, we can actually relate to the fact that determination and hope is what we need to make it there. I would definitely recommend anyone to read it.
Kaitlyn564
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Kaitlyn564 »

I had never heard of this book before, and I'm not super big on anything that even remotely resembles non-fiction, but your review had me actually really interested in reading this! Thanks so much!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”