Official Review: Chatterbox and the Rebooted Beebots

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Chatterbox and the Rebooted Beebots

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chatterbox and the Rebooted Beebots" by Carol Hadley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chatterbox, the cat, is hanging out by a seaside cafe in hopes of getting someone to feed him something yummy. While waiting, he overhears three gentlemen discussing a plot to murder one Uncle Ron. The purpose is to release a virus when Uncle Ron's body is sent to space after being cryogenically frozen. This virus will kill the world's bees forcing everyone to buy bee robots. After hearing this, the cat gets a little overzealous in his quest for food and reveals his special gift. What special gift, you might ask? He can talk. Unfortunately, he reveals this to the three criminals forcing them to hunt him down lest the cat give away their plans.

Meanwhile, Devon BonFury is a child actor who enjoys playing pranks on his director. This time he's gone a bit too far, and his director has a heart attack. In his haste to get away, he hops into a skimmer with a different robot (one who likes to intersperse singing with talking.) Chatterbox has, also, found his way into this skimmer. Will the two misfits be able to team up together to save the world?

Chatterbox and the Rebooted Beebots was listed under the science fiction/fantasy category on OBC, but it is also listed in young adult on Amazon. The latter would be a better classification; as, while it is science fiction, it really is intended for a young audience. It is approximately 200 pages long.

When I first saw this listed for review, I passed it by. The title sounded a bit too foolish for me. I came across it again, and I figured that it was at least worth a try; after all, it is in one of my favorite genres. Sadly, the title is pretty indicative of what you will get when you read this book.

The plot was fairly straightforward, but nothing extremely new and different. A villain has plans to take over the world in one way or another, and others must stop him. The bee robots were an interesting touch as well as the talking cat. Once again, though, it's not necessarily original. I was hoping that, perhaps, the characters would be the redeeming quality in this novel.

Chatterbox is a grumpy cat, as some cats are. He speaks quite well - when he wants to. But he was a relatively flat character. Devon BonFury is young, but there are many young protagonists out there. Once again, we learn very little of his actual character. What does he like? What does he hate? What was his past like? What does he want for the future? Unfortunately, these questions go mostly unanswered. I can't think of one character in the book that I could identify with or walk away with more than the most basic of knowledge. To me, this really takes away from any enjoyment that I might have gleaned from reading the book.

The pacing was reasonably quick, yet I still struggled at reading the whole book. There wasn't enough to keep my mind engaged. I really wanted to give up on the book about halfway through and had to force myself to persevere. I think quite a bit of it had to do with being unable to relate to the characters. But it also seemed that the author was using elements like this talking cat to have a type of comedic effect. It just didn't work; I found myself staring at the screen with a dumb look on my face more often than not. Perhaps a younger audience would find this funny?

There is also a point in the novel where a group of hostages are introduced. A whole bunch of names are thrown at the reader in rapid succession, and the reader is expected to remember them all. There was nothing to set each person apart from the others, so I got lost very quickly in this passage. I couldn't keep track of who was who, and I honestly quit trying.

Along with that, there were elements that weren't quite explained well enough. BonFury is at one point telling others where everyone is located at in the building. Then another character says, "How'd you do that?" I thought, "How'd he do what?" All he was doing was pointing out where people were. I can't figure out what it was that I missed.

My overall impression of this novel is that it needs a bit of an editing before I would recommend it for any audience. I think that with the humor and plot, it is geared towards a young audience. Perhaps those that are just starting chapter books would enjoy a plot such as this. Unfortunately, the book is too long for such a child as well as the various confusing elements. Therefore, I'm not sure who would enjoy this book unless perhaps a parent is willing to read this out to his or her child (although I doubt the parent would get much enjoyment from that.)

It is unfortunate that I found Chatterbox and the Rebooted Beebots to be a struggle from start to finish. I'm positive that the author put much time and effort into this novel. I see tiny moments of brightness here and there, but I'm so confused as to the age of the targeted audience that I have no choice but to rate this 2 out of 4 stars.

Chatterbox and the Rebooted Beebots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A talking cat sounds fun but when it has been put it this way, certainly seem not. Actually I found my self been careful in selecting this genre of books. I found my self stumbled upon these genre because in presenting it showed me one picture after continuous reading it showed me another. Thanks for the excess details, really appreciate it!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Aww, a cat on the cover. :) The cover does seem to indicate sci-fi, although the title screams...I don't know...I'd say, kids? But did you say that child actor just...killed...somebody? Now I'm a little confused, too.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 05:21 A talking cat sounds fun but when it has been put it this way, certainly seem not. Actually I found my self been careful in selecting this genre of books. I found my self stumbled upon these genre because in presenting it showed me one picture after continuous reading it showed me another. Thanks for the excess details, really appreciate it!
I enjoy a good young adult book, but what you get in this genre seems to vary a bit. This has potential, but I don't think it's quite there yet. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 07:29 Aww, a cat on the cover. :) The cover does seem to indicate sci-fi, although the title screams...I don't know...I'd say, kids? But did you say that child actor just...killed...somebody? Now I'm a little confused, too.
Well, he THOUGHT he killed someone. It's definitely more geared toward kids, but just not quite there yet. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks for the review. It must have been quite frustrating to have to read through the whole book. I also have an issue with that cover page. The image itself looks scary.. but maybe it would fascinate others.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I saw it too, but something stopped me from getting it. I love sci-fi, but if I have to read YA novels, I much more prefer YA dystopian books instead. Reading your (great btw!) review, I'm glad I didn't pick it up. I'm pretty sure it's a great book for a younger target audience, but I'm not it.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Hildah Mose wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 21:23 Thanks for the review. It must have been quite frustrating to have to read through the whole book. I also have an issue with that cover page. The image itself looks scary.. but maybe it would fascinate others.
Yeah. I understand. The image is a bit odd as well. I'm not sure if it fits with the young adult theme. Thanks for stopping by!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 03:30 I saw it too, but something stopped me from getting it. I love sci-fi, but if I have to read YA novels, I much more prefer YA dystopian books instead. Reading your (great btw!) review, I'm glad I didn't pick it up. I'm pretty sure it's a great book for a younger target audience, but I'm not it.
It was hard to rate for me. I usually like young adult books, but this one didn't appeal to me. I'm not sure if it would appeal to a younger audience or not. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

The premise of this book already did not inspire me with much confidence as it reminds me of too many stories that think it will just be funny if a talking animal is used to speak the lines. Additionally, the other protagonist does not seem overly endearing and given the issues you have mentioned with the humor and narration of the story it seem this book needs some more editing and rewriting.

Sometimes it is not enough to simply have interesting characters you also have to have a great plot and delivery to craft a good story. Thanks for the hard work.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Thank you for persevering; it resulted in a good review. The characters weren't that interesting to me and, compared to other YA stories, it didn't seem to bond the characters together with a common goal or challenge. Young adult is a tough category to write for and this book misses the mark, in my opinion.
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for an insightful review. I agree that the book is too long for children with different aspects that are confusing (plot points, too many names thrown out in a row, etc.). Hope the next book is better.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Well, this book sounds interesting. It can fall in both genres according to the taste of readers. Thanks for this comprehensive review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Lysander99 wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 20:09 The premise of this book already did not inspire me with much confidence as it reminds me of too many stories that think it will just be funny if a talking animal is used to speak the lines. Additionally, the other protagonist does not seem overly endearing and given the issues you have mentioned with the humor and narration of the story it seem this book needs some more editing and rewriting.

Sometimes it is not enough to simply have interesting characters you also have to have a great plot and delivery to craft a good story. Thanks for the hard work.
Thanks! I appreciate the comments. I wanted this one to work out, but it just didn't.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

P0tt3ry wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 21:33 Thank you for persevering; it resulted in a good review. The characters weren't that interesting to me and, compared to other YA stories, it didn't seem to bond the characters together with a common goal or challenge. Young adult is a tough category to write for and this book misses the mark, in my opinion.
Young adult is definitely a difficult category. It's one of my favorites to read, though. It can be fabulous when done well, but young adults are a picky crowd. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”