Official Review: Legions of Lilith; The Awakening

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: Legions of Lilith; The Awakening

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legions of Lilith; The Awakening" by Deanna R Sweeney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To turn to diamond or to dust: that is this book’s question.

Deanna R. Sweeney has gifted paranormal fantasy readers with a visually stunning reimagination of the caged lion waiting to pounce free. The biocentric imagery and metaphoric detail presented throughout Legions of Lilith: The Awakening inspires audiences to embrace nature’s beauty surrounding them and acknowledge the power of hidden life forces snaking around every corner.

Sweeney’s book follows a young woman who has been emotionally tormented throughout life. Shunned by society for her oddities and even chastised by her own mother, Veronica Strange is presented to readers as someone who has mostly given up. Much of the book’s first half is riddled with her inner dialogue working to blend into the crowd by masquerading the charade of normalcy expected by the community. What becomes blindingly clear to the audience is that this dormouse is poised to either crumble under the sadness of her pretense or break free and welcome her true self.

Branded a psychotic, Veronica hides her supernatural traits until disturbing events turn her mundane life as a resort manager into a fight-or-flight situation. She is forced to choose between impending destruction and brandishing the truth of her powers and past. One of the most alluring parts of Legions of Lilith: The Awakening is the reincarnation of mythical characters from Judaism, ancient Egypt, and Arthurian legend into Veronica's present-day story. This exciting twist reveals a fresh perspective on the timeless war between good and evil.

Fantasy lovers from many subcultures will find enjoyment in this book as there is a bit for everyone: beloved characters from lore, friendly and fearsome ghosts, action scenes, epic weapons, and even animal companions. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The imagery painted by Sweeney doubtlessly meets design-loving fantasy fiends’ standards. She is particularly adept when describing the locations and moods of her scenes and deftly places readers behind the eyes of the characters.

I was halted from rating a 4-star review by a few rough patches regarding the writing specifics. Although Sweeney proved she can orchestrate an intricate picture, there was something left to be desired concerning the character dialogues and scene transitions. There lacked the flow and seamlessness of real human conversation, and at times those presented were wordy, or robotic. I would have also enjoyed more background on the supporting cast members, specifically with reference to popular lore. The introductions of characters with known storylines (Lilith, Merlin, Neith) were a bit jarring. Simple segues could have explained the presence of these characters who exist in previously written tales; for example, “Common folklore portrays Lilith as . . . But in actuality . . .”.

This book ends by setting up a continuation, and readers wonder if the dormouse will finally relinquish her hold on the inner lion. There are many fresh ideas to be expanded within Sweeney’s world, and I am anxious to see what comes next!

Legions of Lilith; The Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am always intrigued by new takes on old stories. It can be risky though, as it is difficult to mesh things seamlessly. I may need to take a peek at this book and see what I think :)
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Sounds Interesting. Thanks for your detailed review. I love fantasy novels and love to find out more about Veronica Strange.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Kat Berg wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 01:49 I may need to take a peek at this book and see what I think :)
Yes, please do and tell me what you think! If love to hear someone else's thoughts! :D
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

vinodsai wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 02:13 I love fantasy novels and love to find out more about Veronica Strange.
Isn't that name just a hoot?! :P
-Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The author seem to have done a fine job with his book in providing an undisturbed flow of imagination to its readers. There is a lot of interesting genre involved suspense, fantasy, supernatural, paranormal. I think the plot will turn out to provide a fun-ride to its readers. Looking forward to add it in! Thanks for the details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

All the different characters from myth and history sound quite interesting to be put into a story like this one. Thanks for the review, but I'm not sure this one is for me. I appreciate the information, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really enjoyed reading your review. It is very well written and nicely laid out. Sounds like an interesting book for sure.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Was that an owl on the cover? I'm instantly reminded of Harry Potter :) I'm intrigued by the plot, as well as by the character (not a teenager, YAY!). Although your note about the stiffness of the dialogues concerns me a little, I may give this one a try. Thanks for this well-written review!
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

I love the review and may give this book a chance.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 07:29 There is a lot of interesting genre involved suspense, fantasy, supernatural, paranormal.
Yes! It was really interesting how she blended ghosts with popular mythical stories.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 08:12 All the different characters from myth and history sound quite interesting to be put into a story like this one. Thanks for the review, but I'm not sure this one is for me. I appreciate the information, though!
I'm interested to follow what audience the author attracts with this one. The book is a bit of a mishmash. I'm hoping more detail in the next book will pull it together.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

inaramid wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 11:16 Was that an owl on the cover? I'm instantly reminded of Harry Potter :) I'm intrigued by the plot, as well as by the character (not a teenager, YAY!). Although your note about the stiffness of the dialogues concerns me a little
Yes, it's an owl! I don't think I'm giving away too much to say he turns out to be her companion! The idea of animal companions so appeals to me!

Concerning the dialogues, don't be overly put off. They weren't terrible. Just some instances of really looong dialogue with no break made it feel stiff.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Musae wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 12:07 I love the review and may give this book a chance.
Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D
-Dr. Seuss
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Her surname is a bit on the nose 😂 I'm intrigued by these paranormal abilities; you seemed to be vague on the details but that's a good thing- now I want to read it!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”