Official Review: Masterminders by Tara Basi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Official Review: Masterminders by Tara Basi

Post by Lest92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Masterminders" by Tara Basi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Few books have amused me as much as Tara Basi’s literary humour novel Masterminders. Set on the windblown Small Island somewhere off Britain, the story chronicles narrator Terry’s one year with Bobby as a member of their Masterminders duo, hatching plans for quick financial gain or dabbling in philosophy from their base on the school playground.

Driven by low funds to rediscover her Catholicism, Terry’s mother enrols him at Small Island’s Catholic primary school. There he meets Bobby, the brighter half of the Masterminders. The Masterminders try solving such problems as global warming, women’s troubles and politics with a variety of schemes and dodges thought up by Bobby while Terry remains his baffled sidekick, whether they reach the brink of complete failure or have just a taste of success. Meanwhile, they contend with and try to outsmart the Power Three, the trio of playground bullies, among which is Madge, Terry’s cheese grater wielding love interest. The eccentric Small Islanders often aid Terry and Bobby with their missions, chief among them Mr Singh of the Post Office, Chips and Sweets Emporium. While most of the Masterminders’ cunning plans led to entertaining calamities, the book takes a serious turn when Terry learns that Bobby’s father is terminally ill. Terry, in his dim but good-hearted way, is determined to help, and without Bobby’s knowledge, sets in motion a Masterminders charity scheme on his own, with the help of Small Island’s citizens.

This book had me laughing from the first page; its deadpan wit will appeal to readers who appreciate subtle humour. Masterminders reminded me of Ben Elton sitcoms and the tone of Adrian Mole, which indicates what a reader can expect from the book. Each chapter deals with a specific problem the boys try to solve, or a subject they want to master. I think the chapter “Politics” is brilliant; at the start of their campaign to establish a one-party state in the school with Bobby as Supreme Leader and Emperor, he patiently explains to Terry that politics is “Never lying to people while avoiding, at all cost, telling the truth.”

Apart from some small editing errors, the writing is intricate, clever, and a delight on its own. Since Masterminders has the plot as its focus, the characters are quick sketches and archetypes. It would have undermined the witty quality of the book if Basi had lingered on her characters’ inner lives. We know Bobby and Terry by their works, and the rest of the cast by their levels of eccentricity. Mr McStrumpy, former world sheep-throwing champion, stands out as the most Pythonesque character in Masterminders.

As I have to consider the editing errors, I’ll rate Masterminders 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to children, teens, and readers who enjoy fine comedy, clever writing and absurdly funny stories.

[The publisher has reported that the minor editing errors noted by the reviewer have now been fixed.]

Masterminders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lest92's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This isn't quite what I thought it would be. It sounds so interesting. I like stories with humor like this one. I'm seriously going to look further at this one. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lest92

Post by Lest92 »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 15:01 This isn't quite what I thought it would be. It sounds so interesting. I like stories with humor like this one. I'm seriously going to look further at this one. Thanks!
I also expected something else, but the surprise was worth it, definitely :)
Nat Con55
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nat Con55 »

8) Wasn’t what I thought it would be either
But it sounds interesting and I definitely would like tho hear the outcome of it!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

This duo has called my attention since they're interested in such an important topic like women's trouble. That's cute and funny. I can clearly see why this duo encounters failing plans. Too bad about the errors, though. Thanks for this fascinating review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Very unexpected novel. I noticed there were trying times in the main protagonists life and also unexpected turns of events. Looking forward to it! Thanks for the details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I love to know more about how Bobby and Terry try to solve problems like Global warming, Women's troubles, and politics and how they overcome Power Three. This book gets Interesting. Thanks for your insightful review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I sometimes wonder why authors pick the covers that they do. The cover of this book would not lead you to believe it was funny or clever (or, at least, it doesn't me). Cover aside, I do like humor in my reading, so this is a book that I will put on my ever-lengthening list of books to check out.
Lest92

Post by Lest92 »

Kalin Adi wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 20:41 This duo has called my attention since they're interested in such an important topic like women's trouble. That's cute and funny. I can clearly see why this duo encounters failing plans. Too bad about the errors, though. Thanks for this fascinating review!
The errors were really small things, noticeable but not too much of a bother*
Lest92

Post by Lest92 »

Kat Berg wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 01:56 I sometimes wonder why authors pick the covers that they do. The cover of this book would not lead you to believe it was funny or clever (or, at least, it doesn't me). Cover aside, I do like humor in my reading, so this is a book that I will put on my ever-lengthening list of books to check out.

It does suggest dark things :D Maybe they were going for a bit of gravitas in all the laughter.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Lest92 wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 04:03 they contend with and try to outsmart the Power Three
For whatever reason, this made me chuckle aloud. I can so imagine teen kids naming their nemesis clique. Too cute!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like Basi weaved an interesting cast of characters into a highly amusing and interesting novel. Thank you for sharing your review.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Wow, that cover though. Talk about subverting expectations. That said, this seems like something I'd enjoy. That quote you provided about politics is so compelling. I'd love to read the rest of this book. Thanks for your review.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I loved your review. Without it, merely judging by the title and cover page, I would have never picked this book up. I think it's highly interesting to see society's problems through children's eyes. It should make us reconsider things from time to time. Thank you for a very good review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Lest92

Post by Lest92 »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 06:26 I loved your review. Without it, merely judging by the title and cover page, I would have never picked this book up. I think it's highly interesting to see society's problems through children's eyes. It should make us reconsider things from time to time. Thank you for a very good review.
Thank you:) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”