Review by shree_reads -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shree_reads
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shree-reads.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by shree_reads -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by shree_reads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret is a collection of autobiographical stories by Rob White. These stories have a common overarching theme- destroying certain self-limiting myths that we believe about ourselves. These myths hold us back and prevent us from seeing life as it truly is. The author proves this by telling us about the “unexpected gurus” he met in his own life, who provided him with "transformational moments", allowing him to understand life correctly.

Rob White says in the very first line of his book,“Some people say that I’ve been pretty darn lucky all of my life. I believe luck isn’t something that happens to me; luck is something that happens through me.”. This sentiment is at the core of And Then I Met Margaret, as Rob narrates his life’s journey. From being a kid in a small mill town to becoming a highly successful real estate entrepreneur and restaurateur, his life is an inspiration to all. Every chapter introduces a “myth” or deeply rooted belief which Rob believed about himself, like most of us do. He talks about the unexpected gurus in his life – ordinary people who are honest and persevering; who helped Rob shatter those myths and unlock his potential for success. This self-awakening didn’t just stop with him. In this book he also narrates how he passed on the knowledge to other people in need, inadvertently becoming an “unexpected guru” himself.

Every chapter tells the story of a "guru" whom Rob met at different points in his life. While some of the stories are heart-touching and poignant, some are lessons in humility and discipline. These are stories of hard-work, perseverance, courage, dedication and even failure. It was inspiring to read about the indomitable spirit of the Masaai mother, Debbie’s conviction, and Margaret's disarming charm. I was unaware of some of the "myths" I myself believed, and this book often “upended the applecart” of my mind. After reading the book, I feel compelled to agree with Rob White’s faith in every person's potential to achieve success.

What sets And Then I Met Margaret apart from any other self-help book is the brilliantly engaging narrative that is equal parts humorous and interesting. Rob peppers his advice and wisdom with funny anecdotes and incidents that add life to the stories. I loved how he clearly broke down the “truth” learned in every chapter into easy yet actionable steps. The prose is easy to read and has a personal touch that truly shapes the book into the masterpiece it is. I found it both inspiring as well as interesting, and so I rate And Then I Met Margaret 4 out of 4 stars.

This book will appeal to those who enjoy reading self-help books and motivational stories. It will also prove helpful to those wishing to achieve success and find true happiness in their lives. Readers who prefer fast-paced and thrilling narratives may perhaps find the book a little lacking in action. However, the author’s easy style of narration and his relatable stories ensure that everyone finds something remarkable to take away from And Then I Met Margaret.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like shree_reads's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. You are a good writer. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but appreciated the writing style and the format of the chapters. Check out my review if you like. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
shree_reads

Post by shree_reads »

Eva Darrington wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 17:58 I enjoyed reading your review. You are a good writer. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but appreciated the writing style and the format of the chapters. Check out my review if you like. Thanks.
Thank you for your kind comment. I'm glad you liked the review and my writing style. I'll surely be checking out yours as well.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! I really enjoyed the book as well and can attest there were lessons I garnered for myself. White's witty stories and candor definitely made the book a fun and inspiring reading experience.
shree_reads

Post by shree_reads »

KFree_Reads wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 20:22 Great review! I really enjoyed the book as well and can attest there were lessons I garnered for myself. White's witty stories and candor definitely made the book a fun and inspiring reading experience.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I agree, the book is definitely fun while also being inspiring.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

shree_reads wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 20:57
KFree_Reads wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 20:22 Great review! I really enjoyed the book as well and can attest there were lessons I garnered for myself. White's witty stories and candor definitely made the book a fun and inspiring reading experience.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I agree, the book is definitely fun while also being inspiring.
No problem! Glad we both enjoyed the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”