The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
verg70
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verg70.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind

Post by verg70 »

The last 3, The Omen Machine, The Third Kingdom, Severed Souls and Warheart and not part of the original set and are called the Richard and Khalan series. They are set after the other books and finish off their adventures, so definitely worth reading.

The only thing to be aware of is that these aren't as good as the other books, but it explains about how they have prophecy and where it comes from, so if you've read the others, you really should read these.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Brea_02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Brea_02 »

:techie-studyinggray: this is one of my all time favorite series of books. I started reading when I was younger. My dad originally suggested the series to me, and I finally started reading it. I read 7 of the books in about a year and a half. I couldn't get enough. I continue to read them just at a slower pace. I mention the characters in every day life. The show was also amazing. It gave me something to watch when I was living at my grandparents. It's a lot different then the books, which kinda got on my nerves, but was still awesome. I think they should remake it, but in HBO.
Kpike1919
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kpike1919 »

Several things bug me about this series. One of them is that each book makes use of the same themes over and over again. For example, Terry Goodkind seems to be completely obsessed with people getting captured. In the course of the series, every single good guy has been rendered helpless in the hands of the enemy at least once, and many of them more than once. Each book contains people getting captured and then escaping. I’ve lost count of how many times the main protagonist (Richard) has been rendered helpless by someone or the other.
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

AmandaR wrote: 19 Mar 2014, 10:37 Hey,

I just wanted to thank-you all for the comments on this book. I have heard so much about Terry Goodkind, but no real details or reasons for liking him. This discussion helped me in deciding whether to read the books or not. I think I will… :-)
Hey

You should go ahead and read the entire series of books. In Terry GoodKind's Sword of Truth Series you can find a well developed and flesh out world that has an epic history and a strong foundation in various types of magic and mystical physical combat. What is also great is that there are moral and ethical tests in this world that actually make sense and leads you to appreciate the characters choices more.

When I first read these series of books i was amazed by how much the characters grew and changed and become stronger physically and emotionally that was very inspiring. The books do get a bit repetitive as you are sometimes hoping for a quick end to some conflicts but this series is about the journey and it is a fantastic and awe inspiring trip.

Read the books when you have a chance and you wont regret your decision.
JLoock4605

Post by JLoock4605 »

I do feel like the books become a little repetitive at points. Particularly in the "recap" of what happened in the previous novels. I don't think you notice it as much if you were to space out your reading of the books. The beauty of the books is the way it embraces the dark and light sides of how we view things, and how we respond to those things. While being a fantasy, many of the themes are pertinent to current political climates and try to get the reader to entertain the idea that what they think is right or wrong, might be incorrect. The books are engaging to say the least.
KandiDandy77

Post by KandiDandy77 »

I've read most of Goodkind's books and he is one of my favorite authors. As far as the television series, I absolutely hated it. I only continued to watch because I was mesmerized by how different it was from his original work.

I'm a little behind on the books and I've just started the 2nd book of the Nicci series.
celtsshade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by celtsshade »

I read them, loved them, and watched the series, although I found it needed a lot more fleshing out on the characters to really do justice to the books.

I think the reason that this series is not talked about is because it was really different from other books released around the same time, and people either fell in love or never made it past the second book.
Halima Lawan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ummiii.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Halima Lawan »

I have read all the sword of truth series. I really loved it. It was one of the first book series I stuck with till the end but hated the television series, I think they butchered the story.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”