Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Yung Senpai »

Some books really made me cry. To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf is very sensible.
Hawkite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkite.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Hawkite »

The first one that pops into my mind is War Horse by Michael Morpurgo. I read it for the first time when I was about seven years old, and a certain character's death had me absolutely bawling my eyes out. I've read it another four times since.

Then there are the books that have had me crying out of joy. For me this happens when a large cast of characters comes together in the finale to pull off the impossible, and the longer the journey, the more emotional the payoff. Some of the best examples I can think of are the end action parts of The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - the mind-blowing and highly tormenting story of Laila and Mariam, two Afghan women living in a country fallen under Taliban control
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Flooding my bed with tears goes hand in hand with reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, P.S. I Love You by Cecilia Ahern, The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and Every Day by David Levithian.

There are so much more painfully, heartrendingly sad and touching books but these top the list.
Autumn16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Autumn16 »

Ugh, I am all for the books that make you feel. The good feels, the bad feels, the shocking and ecetera. I have found that while I absolutely hate crying for any reason at all there have been movies and novels that have made me cry. And as they are far a between the ones I remember most to bring me to tears is pretty much all of those written by Jojo Moyes. Especially the novel titled “Me Before You”
I also wept while reading Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower” simply because after journeying with the characters through seven books I still found it hard to let them go in both their fates and the end of the series.
But if I’m not the only one, and I may be, the most memorable books are the these that give us emotional responses.
Omolola Natural
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omolola-natural.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Omolola Natural »

Books that have made me cry has been quite a number, thinking of it now, maybe I am too emotional...my most recent though is 'HAUNTED' by Okusanya Abiola. A story of preschool teenagers, love found and lost and an uncertain ending.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Old Yeller, every time, even though I know what's going to happen.
DEBUELLA
Currently Reading: Leto
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by DEBUELLA »

I have cried many times from books. So much so that I couldn't list them all if I tried. I will say the one that sticks out in my mind is the end to the Divergent series. I read the entire series in 4 days and by the end I was so invested in the characters that I wanted to throw the book by the time I finished.
sierra112
Favorite Book: Kite Runner
Currently Reading: American River: Tributaries
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sierra112.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by sierra112 »

Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan had me sobbing. It also had me laughing hysterically. Marley reminded me of my beloved dog, Striker. Every little antic that dog did was so true to nature of Striker. It pulled on my heart in so many ways. If you love dogs, you'll completely understand. My next lab that I had was named after Marley. Because she was a girl, I named her Marleina.
Tur turee
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Tur turee »

Now you see her, now you don't~This book can/should make any mother shade a tear.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

Deathy Hallows gets me every time. The Last Lecture, just about every Game of Thrones, Long Way Gone and The Road of Lost Innocence had me in angry tears. I recently read Equal of the Sun, and while it did not make me cry, it did rip my heart out from my chest, especially since at the end I found out it was historical fiction and not non fiction like I thought.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

This happened when I was in my early teens.I cried a lot while reading the chapter Heartbreak from Louisa May Alcott s The little Women.I was so rooting for Laurie and Joe that I could take it when Jo refused the proposal. I also remember crying while reading The Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I refuse to read Jodi Picoult for this exact reason, because I know I'll need to watch million mindless fluffy kittens and puppies videos on Youtube before I recover some semblance to positive outlook on life again.
tuhamworld
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tuhamworld »

It was Beautiful Stranger by Tomi Adesina

The book talk about the life of a beautiful girl who had cancer and still live her life to full happiness. She played a major role in her elder sister and her lover's life into helping them becoming more of whom they are.
I really wish she survive at the end :|

The story was about Love, Self-Motivation, courage and determination to be happy whatever it takes
pauljames_03
Currently Reading: The Prisoner and the Chaplain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauljames-03.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by pauljames_03 »

I cried at Nicholas Sparks's Dear John because of the ending that they didn't get the chance to be together again.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”