Official Review: 8 Steps to Starting a Business

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Official Review: 8 Steps to Starting a Business

Post by dragonet07 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "8 Steps to Starting a Business" by John B. Vinturella, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you self-driven with a competitive streak? Do you want to start your own business but aren’t sure how to start? Then John Vinturella’s 8 Steps to Starting a Business: How to Quickly Gain the Skills You Need is for you.

The allure of self-employment is undeniable. Consider these statistics from Vinturella’s book: over 50% of the working population works in a small business, small businesses have created over 65% of the net new jobs since 1995, and 543,000 new businesses are started each month. Unfortunately, launching a business can seem complicated even to graduates with MBAs, let alone a random Joe/Jane on the street.

That’s why John Vinturella, entrepreneur and teacher, wrote the how-to book 8 Steps to Starting a Business. Using the eight steps mentioned in the title, this textbook guides readers through everything from identifying a profitable business to surviving until the cash begins to flow. Vinturella explores many useful resources while breaking down the process, including the Small Business Association and Kickstarter. He also utilizes mini-cases, study questions, and graphs to explain each concept and encourage readers to practice these ideas before using them in the real world. This book is not a passive read, making it perfect for the hands-on learner.

As a freelancer, I understand the struggle of starting a business, and I wish I had discovered Vinturella’s book sooner. It’s informative and easier to follow than I had expected. I majored in English; I’m not exactly savvy to business terminology. However, Vinturella takes the time to explain each term and concept with real-life examples that turned on the light bulb in my head immediately. This thoroughness can be repetitive to someone more familiar with the material. Regardless, I don’t think anyone should skip any sections. As Vinturella demonstrates, entrepreneurs with business experience can still overlook essential parts of the planning process if they aren’t careful.

I found two aspects of the book very refreshing: it does not read like a textbook and it offers alternatives to starting a business from scratch. Most textbooks, no matter what the subject, are dry and formal. Vinturella’s writing is more conversational and engaging. It sometimes slips into a formal style, including referring to himself as “the writer,” but overall I felt as though he were speaking right to me.

Many books like this one only stay focused on one way to achieve the reader’s goal. Vinturella, though, discusses other methods to becoming an entrepreneur besides start-ups. I think his information on franchising was particularly helpful. So many franchises thrive that opening one seems like a viable option, and I am glad that Vinturella discusses both the gains and costs of this path.

I have few qualms with this book. One of these tiny qualms is that Vinturella does not discuss one major resource on the Internet: freelance websites such as Fiverr and Upwork. Vinturella focuses more on product-based enterprises than service-based ones, but with the depth of his research, I was surprised that he did not mention these networks alongside social media outlets. My other issue is that I noticed minor proofreading errors such as missing spaces and misplaced punctuation. Some of these may be explained by technological issues (I was reading the PDF on my Kindle, which can cause formatting issues) but others cannot. However, the errors were not glaring and I think that the book underwent professional editing.

Everything considered, I give 8 Steps to Starting a Business by John Vinturella 4 out of 4 stars. It’s thorough but easy to understand, making it perfect for novice and experienced entrepreneurs. Some readers might not like the math involved in the activities, but there is really no way to avoid calculations while planning a business. I would mostly suggest it for people just starting to entertain the thought of starting a business. However, I think that entrepreneurs with struggling or failed businesses would benefit from it as well. Whether you’re a business student or a self-starter striving for independence, Vinturella’s work will speak to you.

8 Steps to Starting a Business
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dragonet07's review? Post a comment saying so!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks for the detailed review. I definitely want to get my hands on this book. Considering, I have been thinking of starting a business one day.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The book seem to contain lot information on start ups of a business; seem pretty good. Thanks for the details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Am Bawse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Am Bawse »

I wanted to set up a business ever since I was a toodler. The book has given me a lot of fascinating knowledge & good content. I enjoyed reading it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wouldn't mind starting my own business, but I'm just not sure I could handle it with health issues right now. Still, this might be a good book to read to give me some ideas and motivation. Thanks for the information! I know it'll be useful for many out there.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

Entrepreneurs are fascinating to me, and I often wonder why some businesses succeed when others fail. Thanks for a great review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I feel your sentiments about the omission of service based businesses. This being a thriving and constantly growing industry, leaving it was a missed opportunity on the author's part.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I've always had an entrepreneurial spirit. I'm looking forward to reading this book to put some process to my interest.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Read a lot of books on how to start a business. So, I hope this book has lots of useful information on Starting a Business. Thanks for your awesome review.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I've thought of starting a business, but I know I'm not ready yet. This sounds like a great book to have ready for when I am. I like how thorough the book seems to be.

Actually, maybe I should go ahead and read it, so that my subconscious can be working on it in the meantime. Then, I can just reread it when I'm ready to get started.

Thank you for such an in-depth review. 💕

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”