Review by Quartz -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quartz
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quartz.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Review by Quartz -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Quartz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a memoir, following his journey through life and how he got to where he is today, with the help of inspirational people. He started as a young boy in a mill town, destined to work in the factory like his father and grandfather. But with a surprising turn of events and the help of “gurus”, he left the small town to attend college. From there he has been a teacher, entrepreneur, restaurateur, and inspirational speaker, and so much more.

Each chapter is a short story of those people who have helped inspire him to become the person he is today. Some are people he knew, such as his aunt, his professor, and friend, while some were strangers, like Margaret. Rob White’s stories are both uplifting and inspirational for many readers.

This is considered to be a self-help book, but I didn’t see it a such. When I think of self-help, I think of the author trying to instruct the reader to solving everyday problems. White did not seem like he was trying to instruct his readers, but rather inspire them. The biggest lesson I learned from this book is to listen to the voice within. Most of the time in sticky situations, that voice will offer clarity. Not only were the stories just full of inspiration, but they were also entertaining. Who doesn’t like a story about racecar driving lessons or even running with the bulls in Spain?

I really enjoyed this read. From the beginning, I was hooked. People inspire others all of the time, and it’s a perfect example of how inspiration can come from even the most unusual places. The fact that they were people that aren’t rich or famous made the lessons a lot more genuine.

The writing style was flawless and there was little to no grammatical errors. I enjoyed how at the beginning of each chapter, he had a myth that he thought to be true, and at the end of the chapter, the myth was repeated with the reality he discovered. I give this book a 4 out of 4.

This is a fun, quick read that everyone will enjoy. Rob White is such a good storyteller. I would read more of his books. I recommend this book to young adults, specifically those in high school and college. They can benefit from these stories and learn something themselves that could help them with their path towards their bright future.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quartz's review? Post a comment saying so!
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for your review - I am reading this at the moment and have similar thoughts about this book as you.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks for the review. I love your flow of thoughts. I finished reading the book and will upload my review soon as well. Please check it out as well.
CJ Lambojon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CJ Lambojon »

I do need words to inspire me now. Your review is poking me to read White's work. Thanks a lot!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

That's a nice review. I have loved reading it through. Rob White has written a good memoir about himself. It is truly an inspiration. From the sample, it is such a great book.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Fantastic review! I definitely found this book inspirational as well. :)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Quartz wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 22:35 I really enjoyed this read. From the beginning, I was hooked. People inspire others all of the time, and it’s a perfect example of how inspiration can come from even the most unusual places. The fact that they were people that aren’t rich or famous made the lessons a lot more genuine.
I enjoyed reading your review. Very thorough and thoughtful. I also liked that the author inspired readers through unlikely teachers. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but did appreciate the writing style and the format of the chapters. Check out my review if you like. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”