Official Review: The Legend of the Dragon Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: The Legend of the Dragon Child

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Legend of the Dragon Child" by Cheryl Rush Cowperthwait.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As an epic story line, The Legend of the Dragon Child by Cheryl Rush Cowperthwait did not disappoint. The planet Urthe is largely inhabited by dragons. Each dragon colony, or "Hail," vies for top position on the planet. The world is in constant chaos. Only one Hail, the Mursei, seeks to be peaceful, but even that peace is tenuously held. The Mursei Hail rarely fights, preferring to hide deep in the earth and protect their queen. The Mursei are keepers of a great legend which prophesies of a child raised by dragons who will one day bring peace on Urthe between people and beasts.

In the midst of great wars and earthquakes, a young woman about to give birth stumbles into the caves where the Mursei hide, gives birth, and dies. Believing this baby to be that child which was foretold, the dragon Queen of Mursei insists that the young child be cared for among the dragon hatchlings. The dragons give the child the name of Kaida.

The ongoing battles in the sky continue to rage. A portal has been re-opened between Urthe and Verlaunde, a planet inhabited solely by dragons. This portal allows dragons to pass freely between the worlds. However, the dragons coming from Verlaunde are only eager to dominate Urthe. With ever more warring dragons pouring in, the Queen of Mursei decides that her Hail must seal the portal and drive out all enemy dragon Hails.

Meanwhile, Kaida grows. One of the dragon hatchlings, Zlemtec, and Kaida soon become nearly inseparable. They share a special bond. Kaida is no ordinary child. She develops abilities unheard of by either people or dragon. What neither Kaida or Zlemtec know is that when Kaida turns 5-years old, she will be returned to the Urthe people.

When I read this book, I did not know quite what to expect. The beginning was quite compelling, and I was quickly hooked. However, shortly into the book, it seemed as though the entire book was going to be describing dragon battles. For a while I thought I was going to have a difficult time finishing the book, but the battles did come to an end, and the story line picked up again. The deeper into the book, the more I realized what an epic tale this was. The main dragons all have distinct personalities and histories. I loved how the author developed all the main characters. Backstories are meted out nicely as to not be overwhelming. Plot twists aid in keeping general interest. At one point, it was difficult to tell who was "bad" and who was "good."

I did find a curious connection between this story and other legends involving immortals. Similarities include a great and good immortal who created all things and an evil immortal bent on destruction of all things created by the good immortal. Other immortal characters that are not quite as common in the legends and myths also play a part. For a portion of the book, a unique view of past, present, and future is portrayed. As someone intrigued by history, this was of particular interest to me.

Overall, the editing is fairly clean; I found only one error throughout the entire book. Although the dragon battles were not my favorite section in the book, I could not think of a way to shorten them adequately without leaving out crucial information. Other than the many battles at the front end of the book, I felt that the pace moved along very nicely. I am glad to give this 4 out of 4 stars.

The Legend of the Dragon Child
View: on Bookshelves

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The relationship between Kaida and Zlemtec seem very special, if I am right their relationship will play a important role in the story further, I guess! The story seem pretty good for teens, an eye catch. Thanks for the details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
greenstripedgiraffe

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 06:36 The relationship between Kaida and Zlemtec seem very special, if I am right their relationship will play a important role in the story further, I guess! The story seem pretty good for teens, an eye catch. Thanks for the details!
Yes, I do think that teens would enjoy this! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting! It's kind of a like a Jungle Book but with a child being raised by dragons instead of gorillas. Sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the great review. I'll look into this if I ever get the time! :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 08:25 Interesting! It's kind of a like a Jungle Book but with a child being raised by dragons instead of gorillas. Sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the great review. I'll look into this if I ever get the time! :)
HAHA! I never really thought of it that way :lol2:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 08:38
kandscreeley wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 08:25 Interesting! It's kind of a like a Jungle Book but with a child being raised by dragons instead of gorillas. Sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the great review. I'll look into this if I ever get the time! :)
What can I say? My mind works in odd ways. 8)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 09:00
greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 08:38
What can I say? My mind works in odd ways. 8)
:lol:
raymondjoe
Currently Reading: Programmed To Kill
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by raymondjoe »

Hollywood indeed just got one of the best idea in their next movie. Making a movie with such kind of story line will top the boxoffice for a long period. this book is interesting, can't wait.
greenstripedgiraffe

raymondjoe wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 07:27 Hollywood indeed just got one of the best idea in their next movie. Making a movie with such kind of story line will top the boxoffice for a long period. this book is interesting, can't wait.
Think we could get a kickback if we send it to them? :o
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

While the storyline sounds interesting, with a Hail of dragons raising a human child in the hopes of future peace, the reviewer's comment about long, drawn-out dragon battles makes me question whether or not I would really enjoy the novel. For now, it'll be a maybe.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Sounds like fun. Human battle scenes are difficult to write that I have to wonder how dragon battle scenes would be like. It certainly lends itself better to a visual medium, right, like a movie or animation? Regardless, it sounds interesting. I especially liked the note that the characters weren't completely black or white. Thanks for the review!
greenstripedgiraffe

inaramid wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 08:15 Sounds like fun. Human battle scenes are difficult to write that I have to wonder how dragon battle scenes would be like. It certainly lends itself better to a visual medium, right, like a movie or animation? Regardless, it sounds interesting. I especially liked the note that the characters weren't completely black or white. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for your comments! :D Yes, I think this could be well-done on the big screen!
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Haven't read a decent Dragon book since the Eragon series;might give this a read So!
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

Thank you - a nice review. I think I should look this book over.
Ozillion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ozillion »

The story is really interesting and captivating. Would be great for kids and teens. I think it would be much more interesting if made into a movie

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”