Review by Mjgarrison -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review by Mjgarrison -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Mary Garrison »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Then I Met Margaret was a meticulously selected set of short stories from the author’s life. Each individual story contained an ordinary person or instance that had a profound effect on his life. Starting out in a small town when he was a little boy, the stories continued to follow him through college and his various job endeavors. Ranging from small life situations like sitting in a soda shop to adventurous stories like running with the bulls, they all had an immense impact on his life. Following every story, he revealed what he previously thought and how his thinking had changed due to the encounter he experienced. Although he visited professional gurus, his life changing moments always transpired from the ordinary people he met.

I was impressed by the way the author used all of his experiences to shape the man he became. Never once did he portray that maybe the lesson wasn’t meant for him. Even when he lost over a million dollars, he accepted his loss as a lesson. His ability to always pass on the lessons that impacted his life was equally impressive. He used every opportunity he experienced to share the lessons he learned, finding out in most cases, that the other person needed the lesson as desperately as he had. Furthermore, I anticipate that this book will help numerous people to examine their lives and strive to better themselves, as well as help them boost their self esteem.

The title is a little misleading, as it might lead you to believe you are about to experience a life changing romance with him, which is definitely not the case. Additionally, I believe his wife was not mentioned enough, as she was probably an enormous part of his life. With exception of these two thoughts, I absolutely loved this book and how the author completely laid his life out there for us to learn from.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. My rating is a result of the excellent quality, how effortless it was to follow, and the abundance of experiences it provided to help us better our lives. In my opinion, the author did a wonderful job describing his life through his various stories. Consequently, I never found myself uninterested in any of them and was always eager to find out what he learned next.

I recommend this book to anyone who can have an open mind and is willing to examine their own lives and decisions. Reading this book has led me to re-examine past choices I was previously content with. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did, and try to find something in it that will help you excel as you move forward in life.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mjgarrison's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Mjgarrison wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 13:34
I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. My rating is a result of the excellent quality, how effortless it was to follow, and the abundance of experiences it provided to help us better our lives. In my opinion, the author did a wonderful job describing his life through his various stories. Consequently, I never found myself uninterested in any of them and was always eager to find out what he learned next.
I enjoyed your review. It sounds like you got some great stuff from the book. I didn't like it quite as much as you did, but I appreciated the writing style and many of the stories. Check out my review if you like. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Thanks for this well-written review! I agree that there's a lot to learn from it. :)
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Your review is great. I agree with you about the many lessons one can learn from it. Check out my review on the same as well. Thanks
Mary Garrison
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Eva Darrington wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 19:49
Mjgarrison wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 13:34
I enjoyed your review. It sounds like you got some great stuff from the book. I didn't like it quite as much as you did, but I appreciated the writing style and many of the stories. Check out my review if you like. Thanks.
I'm glad you enjoyed my review, I will definitely check out yours.
Kylevx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kylevx »

Keeping things simple.. I love the stories.. Fabulous work
Mary Garrison

Post by Mary Garrison »

BookishCreature wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 23:26 Thanks for this well-written review! I agree that there's a lot to learn from it. :)
You're welcome, I hope you enjoyed it.
Mary Garrison

Post by Mary Garrison »

Hildah Mose wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 09:47 Your review is great. I agree with you about the many lessons one can learn from it. Check out my review on the same as well. Thanks
I'm glad you liked it. I tried to check out yours but I couldn't seem to find it. Maybe you can send me a link.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I like how you mention the professional gurus in contrast with the everyday people. Funny you should mention that the title made you think of a romance with Margaret. Many others have said the same thing. Nice job. Thanks.
Mary Garrison

Post by Mary Garrison »

kdstrack wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 21:24 Great review. I like how you mention the professional gurus in contrast with the everyday people. Funny you should mention that the title made you think of a romance with Margaret. Many others have said the same thing. Nice job. Thanks.
You're welcome, I'm glad you liked it.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I have a hard time with books like this. I think the lessons he learned are great for him, but it is so hard to relate that to others. How many people even have the opportunity to lose a million dollars. That's crazy!
Mary Garrison

Post by Mary Garrison »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 13:13 I have a hard time with books like this. I think the lessons he learned are great for him, but it is so hard to relate that to others. How many people even have the opportunity to lose a million dollars. That's crazy!
Very true, I could relate to some of them, but some definitely not.
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

Loved how inspired you felt after reading it, which really came across well in your review. I would be interested in what you think about my review as I have some differing options. However great review :tiphat:
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”