Review by cshaffer17 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cshaffer17
Currently Reading: The Last Days of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshaffer17.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by cshaffer17 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by cshaffer17 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret
By Rob White
Non-Fiction
Review by Courtney Bowlin

I must confess. Wanting to review Rob White’s, And Then I Met Margaret, was a bit selfish. After reading the brief, yet expertly written synopsis about life’s uncanny habit of supplying you with much needed gurus, I was hooked. After all, I am a woman in need of such a guru during this phase of my life. Enter Rob White.

This whimsical little gem is packed full of feel-good anecdotes. These stories delight the reader’s senses and lure you into intense focus, while Mr. White creeps in the back door with an inspirational lesson for each chapter.

The book is broken down into an easy to follow structure. It moves in chronological order of Mr. White’s life. Each chapter begins with one of his previous misguided life assumptions, followed by a captivating and often humorus story from his past. He then recounts how he has applied each lesson learned in his life, by paying it forward. The taught, becomes the teacher. Each chapter is concluded by comparing notes between his previous thoughts, and the valuable lesson learned. He teaches us, the reader, to pay attention to those A-ha moments in our life, for those are the ones that have the potential to shape us into better people.

I was positively enraptured with this book. It made me feel like I was sitting in my Father’s basement again, with the warm wood-burning stove glowing, as he recounted stories of his glory days. It recaptures the now, old fashioned values of hard work that younger generations today would do well to learn. I found myself wanting to cry, laugh, and rejoice at each respective hardship or revelation. In the hands of Rob White, inspirational reading is no longer a hard to reach concept taught by enlightened, and often over-educated scholars. It is now a fun and relatable experience, that makes you want to get off your lazy haunches and charge after your life.

I gave, And Then I Met Margaret, 4 out of 4 stars, for it’s down to earth charm and ability to reach out of the page and grab you. I do not recommend binge reading it in one sitting, as I did. To truly do this book justice, it should be read as a chapter a day kind of book. The slower pace will allow the lessons to sink in more thoroughly, and overall enhance your experience. I have found the guru I was seeking at last. To the Margaret’s of the world, and that includes you now Mr. White, Cheers!

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cshaffer17's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. I'm glad you gleaned so much from the book. I also liked the format and tone of the book. I didn't like it as much as you did, but can see how many will. Check out my review if you like. viewtopic.php?f=114&t=54038
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Glad you were able to read this book when you needed it! Not only did it inspire you, it reminded of happy times from the past. Great job. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”