Official Review: Leadership Interrupted by Kevin DeShazo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Official Review: Leadership Interrupted by Kevin DeShazo

Post by jaylperry »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Leadership Interrupted" by Kevin DeShazo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine checking your inbox, looking forward to a daily email from a trusted mentor––encouraging, inspiring, sometimes course-correcting, always relevant––each day helping you to become a better leader than you were the day before.

Leadership Interrupted, by Kevin DeShazo, is a curated collection of leadership-themed emails that the author sent to his team (as well as to college athletics leaders, coaches, and administrators) over the course of a few years. Out of over 1300 of these emails, the author presents 365 of them in this book as a powerful sort of “daily devotional” for leaders.

In every way, Leadership Interrupted lives up to its subtitle: daily inspiration to become the leader you were meant to be. Each daily entry calls the reader to a higher level of leadership and life. This book contains many themes that are repeatedly presented as the core of authentic leadership: overcoming fear, doing the hard work, creating culture, putting people first, evaluating self, dealing with critics, leading intentionally, living life in balance, and becoming a leader worth following. More than mere tips and tricks, the themes presented in Leadership Interrupted are foundational to what it means to be a leader in the 21st century.

Each of the 365 “chapters” takes only a minute or two to read, ranging from a few sentences to a few paragraphs. Most entries take the form of direct exhortation, telling you what you need to do and be as a leader today. Other entries ask questions or use a short story or illustration to get the point across. There is enough jargon in the stories and illustrations to know they were not written for you but for a different specific audience. However, this specificity doesn’t detract from the message.

I found myself highlighting main points on almost every page, wanting to hold on to them and become a better leader. I have now set up a Kindle reader on my work computer with just this one book open to the next page. Each day’s entry is so focused and pithy that I am able to carry the main thought throughout my day and attempt to live up to its high standard. Some of the main points that have really struck a chord with me are: “inconsistency undermines influence” and “a dream without a plan is just a dream.”

Kevin DeShazo’s writing style is informal but energetic and dynamic. He writes more as an inspirational speaker giving a pep talk. These are pep talks worth listening to!

Leadership Interrupted would be a great addition to your own library or the perfect gift for any leader in your life. I give it an enthusiastic 4 out of 4 stars!

Leadership Interrupted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jaylperry's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

This is a really good concept. I like the idea of daily readings, but I rarely remember to do them. I don’t think everyone has this problem, though, so I would expect that this book would be well received.
jaylperry

Post by jaylperry »

Maggie,
The only way I have gotten it to work for me is with an open Kindle app on my work computer. I actually like the idea of a physical book better (especially for gifting), but I know that wouldn't really work for me. I'd forget to look at it every single day. I was thinking the author could turn the book into a paid email subscription (strange idea, I know). I might actually read one every day if it came right to my inbox.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That is one great idea. I know these 365-inspiring-things pieces are a dime a dozen, but something specific to leadership is unique (for me, at least). I'm glad you find the book a great everyday mentor.

I would be happy to read this book, too. But maybe a better title would be "Leadership Uninterrupted."

Thanks for the enthusiastic review, Jaylperry!
jaylperry

Post by jaylperry »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 00:47 But maybe a better title would be "Leadership Uninterrupted."
I did find myself wondering several times about the book's title. I think it does a disservice to the book. Perhaps the author had some grand idea about how the title worked, but it never quite fit for me.
– Madeleine L’Engle
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

There's this movie Girl, Interrupted, but I haven't seen it. Maybe the author was inspired by that title.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A glowing review. I love the idea of a leader sending encouragement emails to his team. This sounds like a worthy read. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jaylperry

Post by jaylperry »

I like the fact that the daily entries are undated. You can pick up this book any time of year and start off on “Day 1.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
jaylperry

Post by jaylperry »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 08:43 A glowing review. I love the idea of a leader sending encouragement emails to his team. This sounds like a worthy read. Thanks for the information.
This book made me want to send out daily emails to my team! And then I thought about how much work that would take. And then I was like, “never mind.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Wooow!; sending e-mails to your team- sounds tedious but helpful at the same time. I loved the idea of daily readings. The book explores a unique approach and I believe it will have a positive impact on the reader. I loved your review.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Amazing Review. It's the little things that lead to big happenings. The daily inspirations challenge you to reshape your thinking, develop confidence and unleash the leader in you.
jaylperry

Post by jaylperry »

vinodsai wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 01:51 Amazing Review. It's the little things that lead to big happenings. The daily inspirations challenge you to reshape your thinking, develop confidence and unleash the leader in you.
I am very impressed with how just a few sentences can give me the inspiration I need to become my best self. Repeated day after day, the inspirations can make a real difference!
– Madeleine L’Engle

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”