Official Review: Admit to Mayhem: Lillian Dove Mystery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Admit to Mayhem: Lillian Dove Mystery

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Admit to Mayhem: Lillian Dove Mystery" by D. J. Adamson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

D.J. Adamson’s Admit to Mayhem follows Lillian Dove, a recovered alcoholic with more than a few skeletons in her closet, as stumbles into the echoes of a 60-year-old cold case. Just when Lillian thinks she’s finally got her life back together – sobriety, a decent job, a good man – everything starts falling apart. When she tries to help an unknown person trapped in a burning house, she becomes the sole witness to what the police believe to be arson. It gets stranger: a house on the very same lot went up in flames in another arson case sixty years before. Could it really be a coincidence? Soon, the whole town is awash with rumors and secrets, and as Lillian tries to piece things together, she must also face the ghosts of her own past.

Admit to Mayhem has the makings of a captivating mystery thriller, but the ending left a bad taste in my mouth. As much as I enjoyed the first half of the book, I have to rate it 2 out of 4 stars.

I’ll start with the positive: I loved Lillian. She’s a flawed yet strong character, facing all of her problems (whether they’re of her own making or not) and trudging through them as best she can. She kept her chin up even as her work, her relationships, and her family were unraveling around her, and I was rooting for her the whole way through. She’s troubled, sarcastic, and more than a little bitter, but she’s still absolutely relatable, and I loved her acerbic humor.

Plus, the story is told from her point of view, so her voice immediately leaped off the page and drew me in. I also got to see the mystery unfold through her eyes – there were scenes in the book that took place entirely within Lillian’s head as she thought back to the clues she’d picked up and tried to piece them together. The author did an excellent job pacing these introspective sections so that they didn’t bog down the action or get repetitive.

Unfortunately, as great as the main character was, the whodunit just wasn’t up to par. When I finally got through all the twists and turns of the plot and came face-to-face with the guilty party, it wasn’t so much an “Aha!” moment as it was a “Wait, seriously?” moment. The motive ascribed to the ‘villain,’ so to speak, felt like a huge reach, or at least a massive overreaction. It wasn’t believable at all. I’d been really invested in the story up until that point, so it was quite a disappointment to have the mystery fall apart like that.

On top of that, there were numerous typos and punctuation errors plaguing the novel. They got worse as the story went on, as if the ending was written in a rush, and they became pretty distracting by the end. Another pass by a proofreader would do this book wonders.

At the end of the day, I really wanted to love this book, but the plot issues were just too much for me. I don’t want to give it a one-star rating because of how much I enjoyed everything up until the climax, but I know that it will leave some readers unsatisfied. Admit to Mayhem gets 2 out of 4 stars, but I’ll still be on the lookout for more from this author.

Admit to Mayhem: Lillian Dove Mystery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Ugh! It's always a real bummer when a book is going so well and then it crashes and burns at the end. I've reviewed a couple of books like that myself and felt really disheartened. I especially loves books in the CTMH genre(s), so it's exceptionally bad when the ending fails. As for this particular book, I like the plot and really like books with parallels like this one had, so it's good that it at least started off well. Even though I'll be steering clear of it, I am glad you enjoyed it enough to give it 2 stars instead of just 1.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The story seem so good until the end crashes all like scrambled eggs, sad! I like this genre and I am pretty fond of the mystical and hidden agendas in them. I believe the author should have done a better job. Anyway thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

What a shame when mystery books can't stick the landing. Even the best writing can be ruined by a subpar ending. Is this book part of a series? If so, hopefully the next books do a better job with the ending.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

An ending can really make or break a novel. It's too bad this one breaks the novel. Otherwise, it does sound interesting. Well, maybe the author can edit this one a bit. Thanks for the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Thank you all for the kind comments! D.J. Adamson is obviously a talented writer, so I'll be keeping an eye out for more Lillian Dove books, if there are any. Hopefully those will stick the landing. :)
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Oh, I almost reviewed this one! I agree with others that it is such a bummer when an otherwise good book seems to fall apart. The punctuation and grammar issues would drive me crazy! Especially on top of the other issues.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

As I was reading the beginning of your review, the description of Lillian was really intriguing, so it’s disappointing that this one had plot shortcomings! Maybe subsequent books by this author will be better.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”