Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Reb63OBC
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reb63obc.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Post by Reb63OBC »

Currently I'm taking notes on this book. Sometimes I have to read thing a few times before it clicks. Want to give this author my full attention and give him a honest review.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Reb63OBC wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 23:41 Currently I'm taking notes on this book. Sometimes I have to read thing a few times before it clicks. Want to give this author my full attention and give him a honest review.
I tend to read books at least twice before I review them, also, so I understand :)
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 21:35
Christina Rose wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 22:15
CaitlynLynch wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 21:08 I think the overall theme of the book - learning to accept the lessons we learn from the people we meet along the way - is a good one, but I agree with one of the earlier commentors that the author came off as very 'preachy'. Sometimes life just sucks, that's the way of it. Telling someone born with a disability that they just have to try harder to achieve their dreams isn't exactly helpful, for example.
I was just reading an article about phrases to avoid when speaking with your ADHD child. “Just try harder” is a phrase to avoid. I think it’s important for an author of a self-help or motivational book to consider all angles to avoid coming across as arrogant or “preachy.”
I think it must be such a difficult line to follow. You want to motivate people, but everyone is motivated and inspired in different ways. Also nowadays you have to worry about being perfectly politically correct. Honestly, writing the perfect motivational book is absolutely impossible. It will work for some people but never everyone.
I think there's also something to be said about the fact that a lot of the lessons White received that led to success weren't lessons he could ever really transfer over into a book for someone unless he were to very specifically focus on those facets. For example, nothing about the chapter in which he learns the ropes of the real estate business is going to help anyone succeed in real estate and resultingly the chapter doesn't really yield a whole lot of information about how to succeed in that field (or any particular field).

And I feel like it's hard to write something motivational in respect to that simply on account of the fact that not everyone just "happens" upon someone who is going to teach them the ins and outs of a business to the point that they'll basically give all their contacts and information to that person. Something like that is only going to happen for a small number of people, ultimately meaning that White can't exactly just explain how it happened for him and expect that to motivate others who might not have the same opportunity.
HOSEANYATU
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 94

Post by HOSEANYATU »

my self i say the book of the month is very educative. i like this book because it encourage me to think that it is possible to get success while your are nothing in your hand.People always find good life but they need courage which is found from the book.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

HOSEANYATU wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 03:04 my self i say the book of the month is very educative. i like this book because it encourage me to think that it is possible to get success while your are nothing in your hand.People always find good life but they need courage which is found from the book.
Your right! I learned many things on this book, and I found it helpful to me. I laugh, I can relate, and I understand every story of the author. We cannot live alone, we need other people to encourage us, too. :tiphat:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
cshaffer17
Currently Reading: The Last Days of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshaffer17.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by cshaffer17 »

This book was a breath of fresh air in the self-help genre. Most self-help books read as an instruction manual, or come off like the Author is more enlightened than you'll ever be. Mr. White writes his book like a buddy, down in the trenches with the rest of us. I found his stories humorous and enchanting. Yes, he comes off as arrogant in some parts, but in his life lessons he tells you that he gets knocked on his rear for being so. He tells you the only way to live is not just for yourself, but for others as well. In my honest opinion, those that didn't get anything from this book might be too cynical to enjoy it, and ironically enough are probably the ones that need it the most. You have to be ready to hear what he has to say in order to understand his message.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I enjoy books of this genre, with the possibility of being inspired by the stories of the spiritual journey of others. While there were some stories that I liked in this book, I felt the author's ego got in the way and reduced the potential overall impact of the book. This was odd, as I think he was trying to be honest about his own journey. My rating would be 2.5 stars. Since a half star rating isn't allowed, I will round up to 3 stars.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 08:30 I enjoy books of this genre, with the possibility of being inspired by the stories of the spiritual journey of others. While there were some stories that I liked in this book, I felt the author's ego got in the way and reduced the potential overall impact of the book. This was odd, as I think he was trying to be honest about his own journey. My rating would be 2.5 stars. Since a half star rating isn't allowed, I will round up to 3 stars.

I understand your points. His honesty on this book mostly cost some ratings goes down. Even if it is a part of his life journey, but on his arrogant mode, we can get some lessons from it. :tiphat:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 08:30 I enjoy books of this genre, with the possibility of being inspired by the stories of the spiritual journey of others. While there were some stories that I liked in this book, I felt the author's ego got in the way and reduced the potential overall impact of the book. This was odd, as I think he was trying to be honest about his own journey. My rating would be 2.5 stars. Since a half star rating isn't allowed, I will round up to 3 stars.
I agree. I occasionally enjoy this genre for the inspiration and personal journeys, but the author’s ego did tend to get in the way, moreso in the later portion of the book.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

I must say I enjoyed the book specifically because it may assist an individual to pay attention to the signs in their life, just like the author. I found it kind of weird that all his lessons from other 'gurus' somehow were reciprocated to other 'students' of his own. I just completed the book and ready to put up a review of the book. The stories were brief making it really enjoyable for me. I like it!
Ljmengies
Currently Reading: Lost in the Reflecting Pool
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljmengies.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Ljmengies »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 15:01 I agree with you; sometimes life just doesn't give one the tools or opportunities one needs. It's all well and good to give the previous advice, but when so much of life depends on others, especially others in positions of power, what can one really do?
(I haven't read the book either.)
This is an interesting view on self-help books! A lot of self-help is written for the people who don't "have it all," but it's not often that a self-help book will dive into the background reasons why "it all" wasn't handed to the person who needs help. Generational poverty, systematic biases.... a lot of factors go into why, as you said, life just doesn't give some people the tools or opportunities they need. I guess the question for this book is whether it aims at helping people improve their financial and worldly success, or their spiritual/psychological happiness. Bob White talks of "gurus" who came from places he didn't expect: not people paid to talk about self-help, but everyday people who have been struggling and have gained wisdom that they can pass on to others also struggling.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

babathoust wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 11:46 I must say I enjoyed the book specifically because it may assist an individual to pay attention to the signs in their life, just like the author. I found it kind of weird that all his lessons from other 'gurus' somehow were reciprocated to other 'students' of his own. I just completed the book and ready to put up a review of the book. The stories were brief making it really enjoyable for me. I like it!
I like your idea of paying attention to the signs of life. The author just simply accept his life and the lesson he learns from his different 'gurus". I learned many things in this book as well. :D :tiphat:
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I will definitely share my sentiments concerning And Then I Met Margaret in my upcoming book review. I am coming down to the wire but I will say I have enjoyed the book for the most part. It is a very engaging book.I took a lot of notes! Nonetheless, I would recommend it despite some areas of the book that I wish were done differently but I will explain in my upcoming review!
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

It comes off more as an autobiographical work than a self-help book; somehow it always revolves around the author.

While I agree that happiness can be found in living kindly and selflessly, luck counts in our success. There are many people out there who work hard and struggle yet have not been succesful. I will share more in my review.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

babathoust wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 11:46 I must say I enjoyed the book specifically because it may assist an individual to pay attention to the signs in their life, just like the author. I found it kind of weird that all his lessons from other 'gurus' somehow were reciprocated to other 'students' of his own. I just completed the book and ready to put up a review of the book. The stories were brief making it really enjoyable for me. I like it!
It did help that the stories were brief. It was less overwhelming that way, and easier to focus on the myths and lessons.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”