Review by BiljanaH -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BiljanaH
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55">Living With A Dead Language</a>
Currently Reading: Uncommon Type
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biljanah.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by BiljanaH -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by BiljanaH »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you get when your determination trumps generational tradition and when you commit to breaking out? And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is an insightful and entertaining memoir of self-transformation. In a quick read of 185 pages written in a warm tone and with incisive humour, Rob White inspires us to reflect on our own life and lessons that we, consciously or subconsciously, learn from what he calls ‘unexpected gurus’ along the way.

Rob is of humble beginnings from a small poor town in the United States where it was believed, he was destined to work in one of the two factories and follow the same tradition his friends and family had. To everyone’s surprise including his own, Rob opts to go to college, then university and pursue teaching career for seventeen years. After one of Rob’s students asked him for an advice on how to pursue her own dream, Rob decided that it was time for him to pursue his, so he went on and created his successful real estate developer status. In addition, he also became a well-established restaurateur. Nevertheless, enjoying his material riches he realised that he lacked inner affluence so he decided to seek out internationally recognised gurus. While on his search mission Rob realised that, although the renowned gurus such as Stephan Covey and Dipak Chopra taught him valuable lessons, his best teachers that left an everlasting imprint in his mind and soul were ‘everyday’ gurus that we all stumble upon on our path of life.

The book is divided into twenty one chapters that all begin with the myth that Rob believed. In every chapter, Rob introduces us to one of his unexpected gurus that taught him a lesson. We meet his Aunt Theresa who taught him how to unleash the power of kindness, we also meet his grad student who asked him a simple question and made Rob get a deeper understanding of a true meaning of life and then there is also a Maasai mother who taught him how limitless personal power can be. Rob also shows us how he was able to share these same lessons in appropriate scenarios sometimes even twenty years later. The chapters follow the timeline of Rob’s life and end with the reality that Rob discovered.

Rob White is a compelling storyteller with an engaging sense of humour and ability to inspire and motivate those who are searching for a way to transform their life into a more meaningful and fulfilling experience. And Then I Met Margaret not only makes us reflect on our own life long after we finish it but also look at the world through the new set of lenses. This book will help us recognise and acknowledge the unexpected gurus in our lives, those that we possibly omitted and those that are yet to come.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is intimate, entertaining and persuasive read that keeps you engaged, makes you reflect and take a step towards reaching your goals and achieving your dreams. It provides some of the answers to what you can achieve if you are determined and how far you can reach if you decide to break out with your mindset.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BiljanaH's review? Post a comment saying so!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

A great review there BiljanaH, I also reviewed the book and I enjoyed it as much. Rob takes the reader on an intriguing and yet educative journey- an great way to capture the attention of the reader.
BiljanaH
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55">Living With A Dead Language</a>

Post by BiljanaH »

Thank you, I enjoy memoirs like this one because they are fun and they make self-reflect.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. It seems like the author was able to motivate and inspire you.
BiljanaH

Post by BiljanaH »

kdstrack wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 16:06 Thanks for your review. It seems like the author was able to motivate and inspire you.
Thank you. This book certainly made me (self)reflect. It's relatable too, would you agree? We all have myths we believe that limit us and many a time we keep them. I found this book to be an entertaining way of showing us how to break out of the myths we may believe. It doesn't have to be hard but we need to start with an open mind.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think I could relate with many of the things the author said because they reminded me of things my mother used to say. "Tell the truth" was the story about the police officer. The story about sharing the table at the airport reminded of my mom telling me to "share". So, taking into account what you said about not limiting ourselves, it seems like while our mothers were instilling values in us at an early age they were actually teaching us to be open.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

BiljanaH wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 00:38
Rob White is a compelling storyteller with an engaging sense of humour and ability to inspire and motivate those who are searching for a way to transform their life into a more meaningful and fulfilling experience. And Then I Met Margaret not only makes us reflect on our own life long after we finish it but also look at the world through the new set of lenses. This book will help us recognise and acknowledge the unexpected gurus in our lives, those that we possibly omitted and those that are yet to come.
Thanks for the great review. You write beautifully. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but I did appreciate the author's writing style, his tone, and the compelling nature of some of the stories. I was distracted in the last two thirds by his persistent inability to truly heal his arrogance. I am forgiving that we all have flaws we are working on. But, as I said, it was distracting. I hope you will check out my review as well. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html Thank you.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Awesome review! I like what you said about the book changing the way you look at life - it definitely did for me.
BiljanaH

Post by BiljanaH »

Eva Darrington wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 20:16
BiljanaH wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 00:38
Thanks for the great review. You write beautifully. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but I did appreciate the author's writing style, his tone, and the compelling nature of some of the stories. I was distracted in the last two thirds by his persistent inability to truly heal his arrogance. I am forgiving that we all have flaws we are working on. But, as I said, it was distracting. I hope you will check out my review as well. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html Thank you.
Thank you, Eva. I loved your write up too, and I see where you're coming from when you talk about not liking the book as much as I did :). I agree on the lightheartedness of it - it is an easy, entertaining read (which, I think, White intended it to be) that will get you thinking and possibly go for the resolution on change of some kind. But if we talk about serious transformation, indeed there are other authors to be considered.
BiljanaH

Post by BiljanaH »

BookishCreature wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 12:26 Awesome review! I like what you said about the book changing the way you look at life - it definitely did for me.
Thanks! Yes, it gets you thinking and self-reflect, doesn't it? I love when one experience, in this case reading a book, makes you wonder about past events and say 'hm, what did I miss?"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”