Review by rmrobertson -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rmrobertson
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rmrobertson.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by rmrobertson -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by rmrobertson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Comprised of 21 chapters this book weaves a wonderful tale of heart-warming life lessons that the author has learned from the people around him at the many stages in his life. His reflections offer a deep insightful look into how sometimes the initial perceptions we have are not always the most enlightened and also how the slightest change in that perception can alter and motivate people in superbly positive ways.

He offers his personal insight, learned not from people he had actively sought out for life lessons, not from motivational speakers or from authors who have found their own enlightened way of living but from everyday people. From the people who surround us, from the people we may take for granted. From the people that fly into our lives briefly to the people who remain with us, our family and friends. His reflections and experiences show that a few words, acts of kindness, and even an assumption can influence us in life changing ways. Each chapter introduces an old perception with a new memory and concludes with the insight from that happening. Each can be read as stand alones allowing the information to sink in and a reprieve to reflect internally if so desired.

This book is a great read. It has sad, heart-warming and cautionary tales from Rob White's own history. It offers an insight into the beliefs he calls 'Myths' and the altered truths he now views life with. This book is for those looking for a new outlook on life, it can help you to look inward and then outward with new perspective on your own experiences.

I would however also like to recommend this book to anyone whether looking for new perspective or not, it is easy to read, his style fun and engaging. He captures the essence of his self at different stages of his life from early adolescence to a fully grown man in the midst of his career. It shows you his encounters with many different people, all whom have different roles to play in his recounted history.

This is the story of a man from a background that dictated that success was unlikely and whom proved otherwise. This is the story of a man who found fulfilment not from success but from the experiences given to him by the many people in his life. I would like to rate this book 4 out of 4.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rmrobertson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I've not read many motivational or self-help books, but I can definitely see where your suggestion that it is for those who are looking for a new perspective fits well with the story itself. I think there's a lot of potential for simply looking at the world and the journey you can make through someone else's eyes. Thanks for writing a review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Great review! I like that you pointed out that each chapter can stand alone - that structure would seem to work really well for someone trying to study the lessons in the book. :)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with your comment that we can learn many things from the people around us, many of whom we take for granted. Nice review. Thanks.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

rmrobertson wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 12:17 I would however also like to recommend this book to anyone whether looking for new perspective or not, it is easy to read, his style fun and engaging. He captures the essence of his self at different stages of his life from early adolescence to a fully grown man in the midst of his career. It shows you his encounters with many different people, all whom have different roles to play in his recounted history.
I really enjoyed reading your review. I also liked the easy tone of the book and some of the stories I felt were compelling. I didn't like the book as much as you did, but I appreciated some aspects. Check out my review if you like. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”