Review by Yolimari -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Review by Yolimari -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A self-made millionaire, Rob White comes from a mill town in Massachusetts. White’s life was fixed by his town’s traditions and unwritten laws. Aspiring to become more than a factory worker, he decided to go against what others expected of him. He attended college at the University of Massachusetts. He was a teacher in Boston for seventeen years, but decided to start a new career in business during his forties. Proving that he could achieve anything he set his mind to, he became an extremely successful real estate developer and restaurateur. With properties in both coasts of the United States, designer clothes, expensive cars, and exotic trips, White thought he had all the luxuries that money can buy. His life, however, was missing something deeper than appearances and material things. As a result, he started looking for “gurus who could share their wisdom and help me feel as rich on the inside as I appeared on the outside.” During his journey meeting famous gurus, he realized that the most important lessons of his life came from ordinary people. In And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Personal Transformation, White shares 21 life lessons that changed his life.

A fast and easy read with a nice-looking format, And Then I Met Margaret is a motivational memoir of 185 pages. Each of the 21 chapters begins with a myth White believed and ends with a reality White discovered. The inspirational stories, within the chapters, explain how he learned significant life lessons. Although these stories are his personal experiences, the reader can truly relate to them. This engaging teaching method effectively maintains the reader interested in the stories the whole time.

I identified the most with the author when he decided he had to break with his town’s traditions and unwritten laws. When White got into the University of Massachusetts, his father felt betrayed and his friends thought he considered himself superior. Despite what others expected of him, White followed his own path. I have had to break with traditions, unwritten laws, and other people’s expectations of what I should to do with my life many times. White argues “that not only does the company we keep define who we are, it also helps us determine the level of faith we have in ourselves.” This life lesson is incredibly true. We should definitely choose our friends carefully and “never stop daring to dream big.”

My favorite life lesson in the book was that White believed that he had to impress other people in order to “get the applause of the world.” He had already become a motivational teacher and speaker. Without getting into much detail, he went through an embarrassing situation at a vital presentation he was giving at a company’s annual convention. He learned that “nothing is better than being authentic.” I loved reading this story because I am a firm believer of being genuine.

At a time when there is so much pressure to be and think like everyone else, I believe readers will take a lot from And Then I Met Margaret. White’s tone is enthusiastic. His writing style is inspiring without being preachy. Some of the main precepts of this book are to be authentic, dream big, break with tradition, and work hard. Furthermore, White reinvented himself several times during his life. He was a teacher, real estate developer, and restaurateur. He is now a motivational teacher, speaker, and author. Without a doubt, his life demonstrates that we have the ability to accomplish our dreams if we have passion and grit.

I absolutely enjoyed reading each of the stories within this book. The only thing that I did not like was that White became arrogant after becoming wealthy. However, this was part of his life’s journey, and he learned a pivotal life lesson from the most unexpected guru.

Unquestionably, I rate And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White 4 out of 4 stars. The readers will learn a lot from White’s 21 inspiring life lessons. I certainly did. I am also glad that I chose to read this book when a new year was coming because the author’s writing style is perfect for setting the mood for new beginnings. The book only has a few typos. I recommend it to readers of motivational memoirs and self-help books. In addition, it is an excellent read for those looking for inspiration to be authentic, break with tradition, dream big, work hard, and achieve goals.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for your review - I am reading this book at the moment and agree with your thoughts about this book. It really is inspiring and I enjoyed the story about the magic trick.
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

N_R wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 04:49 Thanks for your review - I am reading this book at the moment and agree with your thoughts about this book. It really is inspiring and I enjoyed the story about the magic trick.

I am glad you are enjoying And Then I Met Margaret! There is so much to take from it.

I liked the of story of the uncle’s magic trick too because it is all about positivism. It all depends on with what lense we see life.

Thanks for stopping by!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I also give the book 4 out of 4 stars. The author admits to being arrogant at the height of his successes; that's the takeoff of at least one of the stories. Though some readers find him arrogant (see BOTM topics), I share your view that he was not preachy at all. That is the risk that self-help writers face. I find that White exposed his many hidden skeletons, so he can deliver the messages to those who have "sinned" likewise. There are many of us out here, "sinners" like White and me. Like White, we aren't doomed.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

So far, I'm hooked to this book. I especially like how the author debunks the myths he previously believed and backs it up with his own life experiences.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Miriam Molina wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 16:31 I also give the book 4 out of 4 stars. The author admits to being arrogant at the height of his successes; that's the takeoff of at least one of the stories. Though some readers find him arrogant (see BOTM topics), I share your view that he was not preachy at all. That is the risk that self-help writers face. I find that White exposed his many hidden skeletons, so he can deliver the messages to those who have "sinned" likewise. There are many of us out here, "sinners" like White and me. Like White, we aren't doomed.
I do think he changed from a humble young man to an arrogant wealthy man. However, what I understood from the book is that he learned his lesson.

I read the comments in the forum. Obviously, some readers thought he is just straight arrogant and everything came easy to him. That was not my perception. I think he worked very hard to achieve his goals. Even though he indeed was self-centered during a time, I think that he is overly enthusiastic and passionate, more than anything else. I think those qualities are powerful, meaning that these can come across as a arrogance.

Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 06:37 So far, I'm hooked to this book. I especially like how the author debunks the myths he previously believed and backs it up with his own life experiences.
I am glad you are liking the book! I enjoyed reading the myths and realities very much.

Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

This is my next book after I am through with the current one. There is a reason why this book has been nominated the book of the month.
I have found your review thorough and engaging.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Yolimari wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 07:45 A fast and easy read with a nice-looking format, And Then I Met Margaret is a motivational memoir of 185 pages. Each of the 21 chapters begins with a myth White believed and ends with a reality White discovered. The inspirational stories, within the chapters, explain how he learned significant life lessons. Although these stories are his personal experiences, the reader can truly relate to them. This engaging teaching method effectively maintains the reader interested in the stories the whole time.

I absolutely enjoyed reading each of the stories within this book. The only thing that I did not like was that White became arrogant after becoming wealthy. However, this was part of his life’s journey, and he learned a pivotal life lesson from the most unexpected guru.
Thanks for a great review! I really enjoyed reading it. You write well. I agree that the format of the book makes the stories fall into place. It is a good organizational tool. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, as I found the author's arrogance in the last two thirds to be distracting. And I felt he just didn't integrate many of the lessons he espoused. But, I did appreciate many of the earlier stories, and the writing style. I hope you will check out my review as well. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html Thank you.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

"...not only does the company we keep define who we are, it also helps us determine the level of faith we have in ourselves."

This is such a great quote. I really enjoyed reading your review! :)
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Eva Darrington wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 19:55
Yolimari wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 07:45 A fast and easy read with a nice-looking format, And Then I Met Margaret is a motivational memoir of 185 pages. Each of the 21 chapters begins with a myth White believed and ends with a reality White discovered. The inspirational stories, within the chapters, explain how he learned significant life lessons. Although these stories are his personal experiences, the reader can truly relate to them. This engaging teaching method effectively maintains the reader interested in the stories the whole time.

Thanks for a great review! I really enjoyed reading it. You write well. I agree that the format of the book makes the stories fall into place. It is a good organizational tool. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, as I found the author's arrogance in the last two thirds to be distracting. And I felt he just didn't integrate many of the lessons he espoused. But, I did appreciate many of the earlier stories, and the writing style. I hope you will check out my review as well. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html Thank you.
Yes, I enjoyed this book a lot. I heard an interview Adam made him in the Facebook page for OnlineBookclub.org. Personally, I think his enthusiastic manner can come across as arrogance. However, I respect your opinion. Will take a look at your reviews. Thanks for stopping by! :D

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

BookishCreature wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 12:28 "...not only does the company we keep define who we are, it also helps us determine the level of faith we have in ourselves."

This is such a great quote. I really enjoyed reading your review! :)

Yes, I think it is awesome! I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Paul78 wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 01:32 This is my next book after I am through with the current one. There is a reason why this book has been nominated the book of the month.
I have found your review thorough and engaging.
It is an excellent book for uplifting spirits. Thanks for your kind words and stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Birhanu Shelemaw 1
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Birhanu Shelemaw 1 »

Thanks for your review - I am reading this book at the moment and agree with your thoughts about this book. It really is inspiring and I enjoyed the story about the magic trick.
Jeany Kadhikwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jeany Kadhikwa »

This is so interesting to read..I’ve learned a lot from it..The stories within this book are so motivating and mind blowing.
I enjoy every bit of it

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”