Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by DustinPBrown »

The title did mislead me a bit. I understand why he chose it. He thought Margaret's lesson was the most important one he'd learned. But I also assumed Margaret would play a much bigger role in the novel as a whole because she was in the title. It wasn't even necessarily the biggest turning point plot-wise. Something more general, like the subtitle, would have been less surprising as a title, I think.
orangehornet57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by orangehornet57 »

Yes! I truly expected the title to also be one of the chapters. Perhaps Guru in a Red Dress would have made a better title. He also met quite a few real world gurus first. Didn't they teach him anything?
Emmanuel Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Emmanuel Michael »

Although I'm still reading the book, but from the introductory part of this book the author revealed that his greatest encounter was with a student named Margaret as such he named the book
OPgirl9122
Currently Reading: Growing Up Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by OPgirl9122 »

For me the Title "And then I met Margaret: Stories of Ordinary Gurus I met" is not misleading. No. Rather the title gave me a picture of a series of adventure before meeting this revered Margaret. Margaret, who was actually the symbolism of his younger self; the lesson that he should have learned from the very start. It was like a ring composition, in which as time passes and the protagonist grows and learns more about life, suddenly face to face with himself(a.k.a) at the end. Other's might not appreciate how Margaret didn't surpass their expectations, but all I could say is that they failed to appreciate the irony in her character and how even their expectations where over expected to the point they failed to see the Essence of Margaret's character and importance in the story. How beautifully her character was designed as such that she is to be the older self of the older man. Thank you.
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I will disagree with most of this forum by saying I thought the title was wonderful. It is an engaging title, far better than the blase standards: "How to Get Happy," "Tips for the Soul," "The New YOU," and other such mediocre garbage. "And Then I Met Margaret" does an excellent job conveying the core principle of White's learning methods: people around us help us to change. The book would belong in a motivational section in any bookstore or on any website, and the cover and jacket mention it contains a litany of self-help material, so it would take a willful act of ignorance not to recognize this book as motivational.

Don't get me wrong, I have some issues with this book, but the title is certainly not one of them.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I haven't read the book but I've read many reviews for it and quite a large percentage of the reviews hinted at (or even clearly said) that the book title was misleading. I will have to pick it up and see for myself.
Milyondollarbb
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milyondollarbb.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Milyondollarbb »

I dont think Margaret is strong enough as a character to be the book title. It leaves me asking, Why Margaret?
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

At first I thought It is a romance novel, and the title captivate my interest to read it but I found out that it is not. Though I enjoyed reading it, in some part you will noticed that the title mislead the readers but in other way, it is the best title to catch the reader's interest. Our pre-conceived ideas mislead us but upon reading, we will be corrected.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
story3girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-story3girl.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by story3girl »

Definitely. He hardly even meet Margaret. He certainly didn't listen to her or take the time to find out anything about her. Like all his other "gurus" she's simply a narrative took to say something he wants to say about himself.
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

I think it is not as comprehensive as it should be on everything covered in the book. I thought it was one long story, the climax to which was the encounter with Margaret.
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:
rjthegreat92
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjthegreat92.html

Post by rjthegreat92 »

The book title is misleading in my opinion. When first looking at the title I thought it would be a romance book. Also naming the book after Margaret should of had more about her in the chapter, some of the other gurus had larger chapters and more information.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I haven’t quite finished the book, but it is my understanding that Margaret had one of the most memorable impacts on the author. If this is indeed the case, then the title makes sense, even if that particular story isn’t every reader’s favorite.
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by prenaramesh »

I never judge a book by its title, so I wasn't too bothered by the title. I was, however, expecting a lot from the Margeret story, and I think I was also expecting Margeret to be a wise old woman :lol: . Especially after reading the intro in which he said she had the biggest impact on his life. I didn't think that chapter was a very profound life-lesson, but I can see that it was different for the author. Naturally, the impact a situation like that has on you will depend on who you are ..
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

DustinPBrown wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 11:08 The title did mislead me a bit. I understand why he chose it. He thought Margaret's lesson was the most important one he'd learned. But I also assumed Margaret would play a much bigger role in the novel as a whole because she was in the title. It wasn't even necessarily the biggest turning point plot-wise. Something more general, like the subtitle, would have been less surprising as a title, I think.
I got your point. I thought that the story more on about Margaret though. Your right, I guess that Margaret was his turning point to change. We also have different turning points to ponder. :D :tiphat:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I understand what the author was going for when he gave it this title, but I agree that I thought it sounded like a romance novel. Definitely misleading.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”