Official Review: Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Official Review: Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell

Post by mandalee519 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Angel Christian Anderson, or as she prefers, Angel Christian, is a world-famous, Grammy-winning rock star with a disastrous heroin addiction. Angel left home when she was eighteen years old to break free from the religious and orthodox expectations for her life from her parents. After twenty-two years on the road, the rock star lifestyle begins to take its toll. Angela feels the need to get away before her last show and take time to reconcile with her distant father. The guilt of missing her mother's funeral is weighing heavy on her heart, and she wants to do what she can to save face. However, to her dismay upon arrival, she realizes much has changed since her teenage years. Her childhood home is up for sale, and her father is now in hospice care in a local nursing home with only months left live.

With this new-found information, Angela wishes to wrap up her career, kick her heroin addiction, and take care of her father in his final days. There is only one more show standing in Angela's way, but with rockstardom comes the territory. Anglea finds herself shooting up heroin in what she believes to be her last time for the rest of her life; ever so right she was.

Angela inadvertently overdoses and finds herself in purgatory for her sin. This area between Heaven and Hell is overrun by demons and wickedness; Angela's worst nightmare come true. As Angela realizes where she is and what has happened, she discovers that other Hollywood stars with similar sins have also ended up here. With the help of Janice Joplin, Marilyn Monroe, Jim Morrison, and Elvis Presley, Angela must now learn to fight for protection from the monsters of the night. Can Angela endure her new home for eternity? Will she ever be able to reconcile with God or will she end up making a deal with the Devil? Read Jeniffer Nickell's Purgatory: A Rock Star's Journey Into Hell to find out!

This book is written in the first person with Angela as the narrator. The book starts off with Angela stressing the importance of life decisions and then it takes the reader back to the beginning of Angela's poor decision making for insight. The structure of the first chapter is set up favorably because it lays down a foundation for the book's theme. The initial chapter also focuses on the significant decisions Angela makes that will lead to her final sin; which ultimately determines where she ends up.

Nickell's, to my surprise, did an excellent job with details in her first book. Every page is overflowing with descriptions that make it simple for the reader to use their imagination. From the scene of Angel's overdose to scenes of graphic gore, Nickell's kept the level of detail consistent. Her descriptive writing makes the story suspenseful and provides astounding momentum early in the book. Although the majority of the scenes are remarkably detailed, I enjoyed that Nickell's did not get carried away with the only romance scene in the book. It demonstrates that she writes consciously and is capable of concentrating on more critical areas.

While reading, I did notice that there were scenes that lacked originality. Considering this book falls within the fiction genre, I would have liked to see more creativity. An example of this are the creatures described living in purgatory: humans, demons, vampires, zombies, and werewolves. Most of these monsters are popular in other fiction novels and lack imagination. I also was not too considerably impressed with the high level of profanity used. A little curse here and there would be understandable with regard to the storyline. However, the amount used by the characters does seem excessive and unnecessary and can narrow the target audience.

The grammar of the book could use a lot of work. I came across twenty-one errors that would not exist if the book received proper editing. The first error I noticed are repeated words located in chapter one and reads, "Howie was tired, but he got us to us to my father's nursing home called Horizon Hills." This error is followed by many others including more repeated words, missing spaces, wrong word use, missing words, and a misplaced line break. This list is too long for a professionally published book and takes away from its quality.

Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It does a great job of captivating its audience with details. It also picks up momentum very early on and keeps the action full of suspense. I'm disappointed that I cannot rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the high-level of grammatic errors. It appears sloppy and takes away from the quality of writing. I anticipate more attention will be provided to grammar for the sequel, though Jennifer Nickell's did somewhat okay with her first published book Purgatory: A Rock Star's Journey Into Hell.

Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mandalee519's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hello, Mandalee519! You are a fast reader and reviewer! What a story! Do you think the families of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis could sue the writer for besmirching the reputation of these celebrities?

I am Catholic and believe in purgatory where souls are purged and purified so they can eventually enter heaven. Of course, we all hope for the direct route, even if Elvis is playing rock-and-roll in purgatory, LOL.

Hope to read more of your work. See you in the forums!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The story gives out a interesting detail on what would happen to anyone if they end up making wrong choices in life. It also makes the reader aware of the most unexpected turn of situations in life. Good work by the author, thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 01:34 Hello, Mandalee519! You are a fast reader and reviewer! What a story! Do you think the families of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis could sue the writer for besmirching the reputation of these celebrities?

I am Catholic and believe in purgatory where souls are purged and purified so they can eventually enter heaven. Of course, we all hope for the direct route, even if Elvis is playing rock-and-roll in purgatory, LOL.

Hope to read more of your work. See you in the forums!
It's interesting you point that out about suing. I would not be surprised if that happens depending on what exactly is said in the story. It's an interesting concept, but it's too bad that it wasn't executed well. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like a very fascinating read, so it's too bad about the lack of creativity insofar as who is in Hell and, even worse, the grammatical errors that should have been caught and corrected. Even with these negatives, though, I think I may give this a read some time.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a fantastic book. Story plot is well developed. But as the reviewer mentioned , grammar mistake downs the rating. So author should work on this side. Overall, it is a very comprehensive ,nice review.Thanks.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

All the grammatical errors put me off. But more so, a story on purgatory keeps me miles away, considering I am no Catholic. But worse still when the main character is one with wanting morals. But mandalee519, I love your review. Thanks
Adrian mulenga
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-mulenga.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Adrian mulenga »

Wow ,I love the review ,your review makes me want to read this book
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

A celebrity singer lands in purgatory and joins forces with the likes of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley? As much as the idea seems ridiculous it also seems intriguing. Thank you for the honest review.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a really interesting premise. I hope that the author contracts with a good editor and fixes so many of the issues you point out. No excuse for a lack of editing and proofreading!
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

This book sounds like a wild ride. I don't always enjoy meeting real-life personalities in fiction -- it puts me on guard to notice flaws in description (Ex. I've encountered a fictionalized Elvis described as having brown eyes, and Anne Boleyn with light blue. Nuh-uh. Fell right out of the story).

Slipshod editing is such a let-down. I'll give this a pass but I enjoyed the review!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I got captivated by your review of this book. Nevertheless, it is quite sad to note the numerous errors you have cited. The excessive use of profane words too would be a major concern to potential readers.
I am left wondering, who are her target clients?

You have not only reviewed a book but in turn gave some few tips of what a potential reader would expect in a fiction book.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”