Review by BookishCreature -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Review by BookishCreature -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So, a demon hunter and a would-be crime blogger walk into a ghost town…

Abigail Dressler is no stranger to the demons that occasionally manage to infiltrate our world – or the dirty work required to send them back to where they belong. Haatim Arison, meanwhile, has only ever heard about demons in his theology courses. But as he chases a story for his blog, he suddenly finds himself a target for supernatural powers beyond his wildest imagination, and Abigail has no choice but to get involved. Together, they must keep each other safe and track down the otherworldly terror that lurks in Raven’s Peak. Will they be able to save the townsfolk from a hellish fate, or will their pasts and fears come back to haunt them?

Raven’s Peak is an enthralling horror novel with lovable characters and constant thrills. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I couldn’t put this book down. The prologue alone was enough to grab my attention, and it just got better from there. The atmosphere is dark and creepy – which I loved – but there wasn’t any of the gratuitous gore that you usually find in the horror genre. Don’t get me wrong, there were definitely some bloody, shocking scenes, but they weren’t overdone and they weren’t the focus of the book.

Instead, the plot twists and turns with nonstop action and mystery. No lulls, no boring sections that I wanted to skip over – just a breakneck ride that kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. The writing itself was vivid and fast-paced. The author did an amazing job of building the dingy, gloomy setting of Raven’s Peak and upping the tension as Abigail and Haatim got closer to the lurking evil.

As for Abigail and Haatim themselves… I couldn’t help but fall in love with them. Abigail is a strong, sarcastic heroine with a dark past, and Haatim is a well-intentioned nerd who’s in way over his head but trying to do the right thing anyway. They were both relatable and full of life, and I’m really glad that Raven’s Peak is the first book in a series, because I’m not ready to let go of these two yet. I can’t wait to see what the next installment has in store for them.

All told, Raven’s Peak is a deliciously creepy action adventure with some exorcisms thrown in for good measure – rather reminiscent of the TV series Supernatural. If you’re very squeamish, this might not be the book for you, but I highly recommend it to lovers of paranormal horror. And now to dig into book two!

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarbee
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbee.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by sarbee »

I've been waiting to read your thoughts on this book after your comment on my review! I like your comparison to the show Supernatural. There were actually a few instances in the book where I felt like dialogue would be better suited for a TV series. I recall a moment from the prologue where the Reverend makes a comment about intending to kill whomever he finds inside the church, only for the demon to reply that that would be a shame. I can so see that as part of a TV series or made-for-TV movie.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
BookishCreature

I know, right? :) I thought it was really cinematic. I'm always down for good old-fashioned monster hunting noir.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

After reading this I am wondering how the character development is? Is the book concentrated just on plot or does it give time for the characters to grow? Your review made me want to read it so now I'm fishing for details :)
BookishCreature

uyky wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 18:17 After reading this I am wondering how the character development is? Is the book concentrated just on plot or does it give time for the characters to grow? Your review made me want to read it so now I'm fishing for details :)
I'll don't want spoil anything, but I think Haatim had some great development - I was actually going to mention it in the review but I was worried I'd give too much away. Abigail didn't develop as much, but her personal quest unfolded throughout the book and she seems to be set up for some really cool stuff in the rest of the series. :)
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Thanks for your interesting review. As I read your comments, I get attracted to the book and may be induced to read it. I am drawn to paranormal themes and this is good a story than any. I will remember to allow reading time for this one.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

BookishCreature wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 18:42
uyky wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 18:17 After reading this I am wondering how the character development is? Is the book concentrated just on plot or does it give time for the characters to grow? Your review made me want to read it so now I'm fishing for details :)
I'll don't want spoil anything, but I think Haatim had some great development - I was actually going to mention it in the review but I was worried I'd give too much away. Abigail didn't develop as much, but her personal quest unfolded throughout the book and she seems to be set up for some really cool stuff in the rest of the series. :)
For me that is not a spoiler. Thank you for your reply. I will definitely give this book a go :)
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I started reading this novel but lost interest. Your review makes me think I should have given it more time.
Great review though!!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
BookishCreature

Darakhshan Nazir wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 02:07 I started reading this novel but lost interest. Your review makes me think I should have given it more time.
Great review though!!
Aw, that's a shame! To each their own though. :) Thanks for commenting!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I love a dark and creepy atmosphere too! Thanks for a well-written review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
BookishCreature

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 07:03 I love a dark and creepy atmosphere too! Thanks for a well-written review.
Thank you for commenting! :)
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Great review! Very well written and it is so obvious how much you enjoyed the book. Nice job!
BookishCreature

CommMayo wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 14:23 Great review! Very well written and it is so obvious how much you enjoyed the book. Nice job!
Thank you! (I love your avatar, by the way. Chickens are the best.)
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

BookishCreature wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 14:28
CommMayo wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 14:23 Great review! Very well written and it is so obvious how much you enjoyed the book. Nice job!
Thank you! (I love your avatar, by the way. Chickens are the best.)
Thanks! I once had a friend drop off a rooster at our house and my husband didn't notice for over two months! Little bugger only crowed when he wasn't around :no-spoil:
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

I recently finished the book and I loved it as well! Your review is really awesome and way better than mine! Great job! :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”