Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Post by AbbyGNelson »

tonysgirl0805 wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 23:16 to be honest this was the first book I chose to read and I could not finish it because it was just misleading to me and he did seem arrogant, I thought they would be a bunch of stories from other people but as far as I read they were just his experience and in almost every story he spoke about how accomplished he was. I am like we get it you are well off and accomplished, Which is kind of misleading because if that was the case why did you need to write a self help book?
Maybe he just wanted to brag. Or he thought his experiences might help people. Or maybe a little mix of both.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

jamiramontez wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 17:34 I really enjoyed reading this book because all of the different stories taught a different lesson. Although the author was writing about the lessons he himself learned from each person he encountered, he really taught me some things about life as well. From reading this book, I learned that you should first and foremost follow your dreams no matter what. I learned that in following your dreams, you will encounter setbacks. How you handle those setbacks will determine whether you will succeed or not. I think that all of us can learn a lesson or two from reading this book, which is a wonderful way to start the New Year!
I completely agree with you. We have in one way or another come across these life lessons but it was refreshing hearing them from him. I learnt a lot from him and have changed my perspective in life. I recommend this book to all who are ready to learn from others
Albrooks20197
Currently Reading: The Shack
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albrooks20197.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Albrooks20197 »

I really enjoyed the book. I'm not much one for self-help either, but I thought his stories were intriguing and uplifting. It's nice to read something positive for once. The only thing that I clashed with was some of his philosophies. As a religious person, some of the way he described his scenarios as "acts of the universe". Reading it from a religious perspective, I took it as God intervening in his life all along the way, even if he didn't realize it. But besides that, I enjoyed the read. The small chapters were great and it was a great book to start the new year with.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Aaliyah411
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aaliyah411 »

I think the book was really touching a deep a was very well written :D
Song

Post by Song »

yes i would recommend it because of the author's creativity and the appealing of the book
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

There are many things I enjoyed about this book: the formatting is one of the best I've seen among books from this website, White's life is very interesting and inspiring, and I like that (for the most part) he stayed away from hokey catchphrases, off-putting eccentricities, and transparent money-grabs.

I did notice a high instance of punctuation errors for a book that looks so professionally edited, and I did find an inability to relate to him once he started learning lessons from running with the bulls, visiting Africa, having his Porsche wrecked, etc. Overall, a good (but not great) book.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

I learned many things on this book. I got some ideas from the author. I understand the way he wrote his memoir. He also have flaws in life, and I do respect when he included it. He deserves a 4 stars.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 21:36
tonysgirl0805 wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 23:16 to be honest this was the first book I chose to read and I could not finish it because it was just misleading to me and he did seem arrogant, I thought they would be a bunch of stories from other people but as far as I read they were just his experience and in almost every story he spoke about how accomplished he was. I am like we get it you are well off and accomplished, Which is kind of misleading because if that was the case why did you need to write a self help book?
Maybe he just wanted to brag. Or he thought his experiences might help people. Or maybe a little mix of both.
I agree that it was probably a little mix of both. I think the author set out to help people, but he also didn’t shy away from bragging a bit. His book seemed to resonate with some readers, while others wouldn’t recommend it at all. That’s going to happen with any book, but maybe even more so within this genre.
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by prenaramesh »

I enjoyed reading the book and liked its lighthearted tone. I didn't think it was particularly useful as a self-help book, for me. I did, however, think it would have been the kind of book that I would have enjoyed if I had been a lot younger. My pre-teen years probably. The life lessons told with stories will make for good reading for children.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

prenaramesh wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 00:43 I enjoyed reading the book and liked its lighthearted tone. I didn't think it was particularly useful as a self-help book, for me. I did, however, think it would have been the kind of book that I would have enjoyed if I had been a lot younger. My pre-teen years probably. The life lessons told with stories will make for good reading for children.
You bring up a great point. It’s interesting to consider how our perception of this book may be dependent upon our stage in life. As someone in my late 30s, this book hasn’t been much help to me. Perhaps it would be to someone younger?
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html

Post by prenaramesh »

Christina Rose wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 01:20
prenaramesh wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 00:43 I enjoyed reading the book and liked its lighthearted tone. I didn't think it was particularly useful as a self-help book, for me. I did, however, think it would have been the kind of book that I would have enjoyed if I had been a lot younger. My pre-teen years probably. The life lessons told with stories will make for good reading for children.
You bring up a great point. It’s interesting to consider how our perception of this book may be dependent upon our stage in life. As someone in my late 30s, this book hasn’t been much help to me. Perhaps it would be to someone younger?
This occurred to me while reading the story about the person who tried to pick up someone else's money in the checkout line. It's a very black and white "stealing is wrong" kind of situation, and I thought this is something I would tell a child, not an adult.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

prenaramesh wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 01:34
Christina Rose wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 01:20
This occurred to me while reading the story about the person who tried to pick up someone else's money in the checkout line. It's a very black and white "stealing is wrong" kind of situation, and I thought this is something I would tell a child, not an adult.
You’re so right! That’s a great example of a story appealing to a younger reader.
Graceia
Currently Reading: Do a Little Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceia.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Graceia »

'And then I met Margaret' is an Eye-opener to the everyday lessons we should pick out from ordinary going-ons. It focuses on personal growth challenging our knowledge, attitudes and perceptions.
Rob White simply made a habit of learning from normal encounters with ordinary people in his sphere of life.
'What an amazing outlook to life!'
Lovers

Post by Lovers »

To me it's motivating we can all have brown eye I mean we can not always see things the same way the book gives hope to hopeless to never give up even poor you can always make it, it's eye opening and lesson giving for the road ahead epic I give it top out of 4 4+4
CorundumAl2O3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Sphere</a>
Currently Reading: The Snowball
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corundumal2o3.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B01J94T29W

Post by CorundumAl2O3 »

Truly this book was an easy read for a lazy summer afternoon.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”