Review by Tsheola Asavela -- Strong Heart

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tsheola Asavela
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsheola-asavela.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Review by Tsheola Asavela -- Strong Heart

Post by Tsheola Asavela »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart is a two-fold adventure that entails mystery and the supernatural in one hand and history and nature on the other. Having taken many years to complete, it paints a vivid picture, through the first-hand experiences of the Washington-based author’s familiarity with the actual, natural geographical setting. It is, as one of the characters describes it, the “land of magic, history, and legend”.

Before dwelling into the story, I was first familiarized with the geography where the various events take place via maps detailing the islands, seas, and the land masses around the North Pacific Ocean. This helps a lot in capturing and following the movements within the story. Otherwise, it is mainly set in the expanse of the Olympic Park not far from Canada and Washington and begins in a quiet town called Sol Duc before all else. Further on into the book, the story also takes us on an eventful and action-packed sea adventure with the young heroine, Sarah Cooley on board whereby, the tale takes on an interesting and in depth first-person narrative (twice) as told by her whilst on a mystical (astral) journey into an unknown and forgotten past. It is during this part of the book that the title makes sense. Now, to get a hostile picture of differences herein; it is the constant clashing of scientific data versus pure belief; ancient legend versus archaeology/anthropology; mining and corporate greed versus naturalism and heritage preservation. All this is with regards to the past, present, and possible future concerning the land itself and the Native American Indians. An ancient artifact of controversy is the main catalyst in all of this.

On the scope of characters: we first meet the beautiful, well-educated Myra who is an anthropologist; and her humble father, William with his shamanic insights. Then, there’s Tom Olsen, the reason behind the expedition which concerns his side of the family, his long-deceased grandfather to be exact. He and William have been close friends and colleagues for many years as fishermen traveling the Pacific, and they are both elderly and divorced a good number of years as well. Sarah Cooley, the heroine is Tom’s grand-daughter of whom he meets for the first time, and is dumped with by his ex-wife. From there, the crew not having much of a choice, it was decided to bring her along for the trip, trekking the trail ways of the peninsula’s wilderness in all its glory and majestic splendor…

At first glance, thirteen-year-old Sarah comes across as a disturbed, troublesome youth who seems destined towards a life of wastage and failure. However, she is an exceptional sketch artist for her age, with a story to tell via her talent. As we get to know this special young lady, we see how contrary to this perception she actually is. The interesting thing about our young protagonist is seeing the transformation from being a stubborn, careless, uninterested, and irritable teen that she is in the beginning; to becoming a passionate, experienced adventurer with a strong resolve. She is the torch bearer who leads the way not only figuratively but, literally and scientifically as well despite a handful of drama and messed up situations she finds herself in.

It is interesting to note how Strong Heart effortlessly blends in well-researched information about the migrations and movements in the areas mentioned, of the prehistoric wildlife and the ancient people we today call the Native Americans. On that note, we get to absorb a chunk of information based on evidence. Being a lover of history and archaeology, I filled in a lot of gaps concerning the subject and did not know about such a majestic place such as the Olympic prior to the book. How it also manages to shine a light on the latter-day political and/or corporate factors on the issues when a company called Buckhorn (playing the antagonist) is introduced or mentioned together with its employees causing problems. On the less serious side of things, the humour here and there is not bad; and the simplicity of the language use is very considerate for basic readers to enjoy.

I tried looking for something negative about the book but, I failed. The only thing is just some parental guidance for the young ones because there’s a bit of strong language here and there, not much though. Merely because I think kids of all ages deserve to read it as much as it is enjoyable for adults. All in all, what I like the most about the book is how it is perfectly balanced in so many ways that, one reaps many lessons from it.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars - I mean, Charlie Sheldon is indeed a brilliant and versatile author with a seasoned hand. The story is inspiring and aids in self-reflection; it is well-articulated and able to accommodate the young and old. As for lovers of nature and the outdoors, history, and archaeology/anthropology they are in for a sure treat.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tsheola Asavela's review? Post a comment saying so!
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
roby25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by roby25 »

interesting
Tsheola Asavela

It totally is! I think it is the kind of book that a parent should impart on a child, of any age for that matter... For an adult, it also has its own empowering effect somehow as well.
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your interesting review. I also loved the maps and felt they helped orient the reader for the story. I agree that the descriptions were fantastic. Nice job.
Tsheola Asavela

I agree with you on the maps because, I think illustrations in literary works such as novels is quite important in helping us readers in of course, the obvious ways that it serves its artistic purpose in tandem with a different medium of the same idea. And because a pic tells a thousand words on its own, it would be an inbalance if a book lacked any visual symbolism of any sort, haha!

Ngiyabonga futhi... That means 'thanks again' in the Zulu tongue
Word.
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The Strong Heart is a beautiful novel and is one of my favourite. The author so vividly describe all the scenes through maps. Story plot is full of geographical details. Your review is very comprehensive. I have also reviewed this book. You can check out my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

I totally agree. I am a huge fan of Jean M. Auel and Charlie Sheldon has the same storytelling ability, in particular, when it comes to the ancient legends and the story from the vision. I love to hear descriptions of tools being made, medicines being developed, and knowing the area was really unique as well. Great review, thanks.
Tsheola Asavela

Thank you, Sarah and cozark38...
@ Sarah: I will likewise, check yours out :)
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”