Review by mariru -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mariru
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariru.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by mariru -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by mariru »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rob White’s Then I Met Mary is a non-fiction, real and captivating book especially for the people seeking to understand the meaning of life-spirituality. No doubt the book is a light and easy read. White manages to refreshingly address 21 teachings (not unique to him) from an experiential perspective. He starts off by mentioning the conventional gurus he has interacted with just to finally focus on ordinary persons who have impacted his life greatly.

I must, however, admit that the lesson on kindness was not only of a new perspective but overwhelming- poor old maid Theresa. White’s take in the grocery store brought out what would have been my typical ugly take-“he is stepping on it”. White is convincing on the fact that kindness which translates real love transcends being right in some given circumstances. In deed kindness is the height of love-pursuing what is best for all without drama.

White transcends the religious connotations of spirituality to credibly speak to people of all walks of life. He does not in any way attack or even challenges the assumed truth/ teachings by others, but instead compellingly offers a different perspective or should I say universal truth which in essence is God. Mr. Executor got me wishing I could redo my conduct as a teacher – the book captures real life issues through White. I particularly like the way he goes ahead to relive his well learnt lesson. By pardoning the teenager caught on thuggery, White extended Mr. Executors forgiveness to the youngster. In essence just about every valuable lesson White learns is practiced and played out in real life scenarios. The book makes an interesting departure from the dos and don’ts approach taken by different authors in the field. It is easy to appreciate and learn by Whites examples/ stories.

The book is well done without grammatical or grammar and typo errors allowing smooth reading and comprehension. However, am yet to figure out what EST is- I suppose an abbreviation should be spelt out the first mention and later in the index.

Spirituality is best experienced as opposed to being taught. However, an individual could identify with another person’s experience and so understand better their own experiences. White’s superb job of sharing his experiences is set to awaken and strengthen many readers. As such I rate the book 4 out of 4-experience is the best teacher. I would recommend the book to all that questions the meaning/purpose of life. Then I met Mary is a rich insightful book that clearly captures the materialism-spiritualism nexus.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mariru's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your comments on this book. Your comments about Aunt Theresa are well done. He had someone to inspire from a young age. His way of writing helped the reader understand the things he had experienced.
Ian99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Ian99 »

The most amaizing thing with this book is the author's spiritualy understanding from his pespective,It is both instresting and inspirational.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”