Review by BookishCreature -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Review by BookishCreature -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You could make the case that Rob White is a self-made man. After all, his determination and willingness to work hard were what brought him up from humble beginnings to the success he enjoys today. But on reading the introduction to And Then I Met Margaret, you’ll find that White attributes much of his success to the multitudes of friends and mentors he’s learned from along the way. He has a laundry list of self-help celebrities he’s met and conversed with: Tony Robbins, Deepak Chopra, Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy – all names we recognize from the bestseller lists.

This book, however, is not about any of them. And Then I Met Margaret focuses on the gurus that White encountered in his day-to-day life before he established himself as a successful businessman – the teachers, the bosses, the children, and even the perfect strangers that taught him important lessons about himself and the world. The result is a refreshing and inspiring read that I rate 4 out of 4 stars.

I’ve read as many self-help books as the next person. There’s something to be said for taking the advice of a self-improvement superstar – there must be a good reason they’ve become so renowned, right? However, And Then I Met Margaret proves that everyone on this planet has something to teach you, no matter their age, success, or station. I really enjoyed reading about these normal people and the wisdom they imparted on White, directly and indirectly. My personal favorite was the story of Debbie, one of White’s young students, who approached him with a very simple question – “How do I convince myself that I’m smarter than I think I am?” – and completely upturned his outlook on life in the process.

The author writes with a humility that really struck me. He lays bare his faults and failings, and his overall attitude is not, “Look how smart I am,” but instead, “Look how wise my mentors are.” Instead of coming across as preachy, his gratitude and enthusiasm shine through every page.

I also liked the way the book is structured. The chapters bite-sized, and each one starts with a one-liner – “The Myth I Believed.” At the end of the chapter, that myth is contrasted with “The Reality I Discovered.” This makes the lessons easy to digest and refer back to, and I'm sure I'll find myself flipping back to a few favorites.

And Then I Met Margaret is a compendium of sage advice from unlikely sources, and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking to better themselves. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for my own gurus from now on.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

A beautifully written review.

How some people are finding arrogance in White's voice is beyond my comprehension. I'm glad we share the same perspective.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

i am happy that you love this book as well. I learned many things in this book. The guru's teaching is somewhat talking to you directly. Do check mine as well. Thanks.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
BookishCreature

rik17 wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 23:10 A beautifully written review.

How some people are finding arrogance in White's voice is beyond my comprehension. I'm glad we share the same perspective.
Thanks for the comment! I was just discussing that in another thread, actually - I think some people read the book like a memoir, so they focused a lot on the author as a character in the book. On the other hand, I (and maybe you as well) read it more like a self-help book, trying to learn from the myths and realities the author wrote about. I think it's just down to personal preference. Good to have someone else in my camp though! ;)
BookishCreature

pinklover wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 23:48 i am happy that you love this book as well. I learned many things in this book. The guru's teaching is somewhat talking to you directly. Do check mine as well. Thanks.
Thanks for commenting! It doesn't look like your review has been posted yet, but I'll keep an eye out. :)
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

BookishCreature wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 23:59 I think some people read the book like a memoir, so they focused a lot on the author as a character in the book. On the other hand, I (and maybe you as well) read it more like a self-help book, trying to learn from the myths and realities the author wrote about. I think it's just down to personal preference.
Spot on.
BookishCreature wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 23:59 Good to have someone else in my camp though! ;)
We are currently reading the same book as well, lets see where we pitch our camps this time round! :wink:
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a beautiful review. You are a good writer. Refreshing. As we discussed in the other forum, we had slightly different takes on the book, but I do appreciate all of the elements you have outlined here. Well done.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BookishCreature

Eva Darrington wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 12:47 What a beautiful review. You are a good writer. Refreshing. As we discussed in the other forum, we had slightly different takes on the book, but I do appreciate all of the elements you have outlined here. Well done.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed my review even though we disagreed on some points. :)
Dani8385
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Dani8385 »

Wonderful review! It's now on my shelf to read next!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Interesting review. You have covered much of Rob White's gurus except one -- Shaky. Who the cabbage is Shaky? Like Margaret, this guru lent much to teaching Rob some lesson. Thanks for sharing.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
KAY1
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KAY1 »

I really enjoyed reading your review.. you show passion in reading.. all the best
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Plot seems appealing. And your review depicts it very well .
Moreover, I find title 'And Then I Met Margaret' quite attractive.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Calmic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Calmic »

This is great, yes everyday one on this planet has something to offer you, no matter their age
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

What an amazing and well written review! It is clear you enjoyed the book and learnt much from it. I hope to be in the same position when I finish reading it!
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

rik17 wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 23:10 A beautifully written review.

I am among those who found no arrogance in White's voice. I read all the stories but found no glimpse of arrogance.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”