Review by Lalalaurasanto -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lalalaurasanto
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalalaurasanto.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by Lalalaurasanto -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Lalalaurasanto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you're looking for an outstanding read in the self-help category, look no further than And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White. Have a pen handy, though, because you'll want to copy down a life-changing quote every now and then! Packed with inspiring truths from the very beginning, this book is a must for anyone on the journey to a more enlightened life. It is a collection of autobiographical anecdotes all with the intention of teaching valuable lessons. Rob White, a self-made millionaire who rose to the top from a small town, takes the reader on an eye-opening journey...with the help of a few ordinary gurus. People who have imparted the lessons that have changed his life came from unlikely places, but that doesn't change the fact that he heeded their advice and used it to the fullest.

And Then I Met Margaret is an easy-to-read book written with a very organized structure. The introduction gives a preliminary look at what will be gained from reading the book, and the following chapters all explain the author's message to the reader. Each chapter relates a story from the author's life to a lesson that he learned. The author then connects the learning moment to a teaching moment, to really drive the point home. The stories flow easily from one to another and are entertaining as well as informative.

The book tackles many themes, including love, magic, honesty, individualism, taking action, success, selflessness, and countless others.

I found it particularly interesting that the realities the author discovered could be understood in so many different ways. At the start of every chapter, I would begin reading assuming that I knew what lesson would come out of every myth Rob White believed. Then, by the end, I would be surprised by what lesson actually came about. I personally believe it's all about perspective, so I very much enjoyed seeing this in And Then I Met Margaret.

Furthermore, the way he learns lessons and how he relates it all is incredibly thought-provoking. Everything is connected in a very purposeful way. I truly appreciate the reflection that must have gone into both living his life this way and writing his book this way. I also appreciate his honesty.

Not every story is one I can fully relate to, especially his earlier ones; he and I grew up in very different times! There was also a point mid-way through the book that I wondered how Rob White could have been so lucky, and I found myself almost jealous of his success. I was convinced that my rating of this book was going to be 3. I disliked how the author made it seem almost too easy to make millions. But by the end of the book, I realized that by looking deeper I COULD relate to some of his earlier stories. And I COULD be successful, just like him, if I utilized what I learned in this book. I had to reread a few parts to comprehend that he wasn't saying it was easy to make millions! He just wasn't dwelling on how hard it was! I really liked my personal transformation that came out of reading this book. So I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I believe the author intended to show how lessons are all around us, all throughout our lives, and that we can find them by merely looking. Teachers, mentors, gurus...they're everywhere, even in unexpected places. I certainly gained understanding in regards to this message, however, I was also inspired by the book to BE a guru to others. After reading this book, I will seek gurus, learn what they teach me, become a guru, pass on my knowledge (much like Rob White did), and continue the never-ending cycle.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lalalaurasanto's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Lalalaurasanto wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:48
I believe the author intended to show how lessons are all around us, all throughout our lives, and that we can find them by merely looking. Teachers, mentors, gurus...they're everywhere, even in unexpected places. I certainly gained understanding in regards to this message, however, I was also inspired by the book to BE a guru to others. After reading this book, I will seek gurus, learn what they teach me, become a guru, pass on my knowledge (much like Rob White did), and continue the never-ending cycle.
Thanks for a really well-written and thorough review. We certainly do meet our teachers in unexpected places. Though I did not like the book quite as much as you did, I benefitted from many aspects and think others will as well. Hope you will check out my review as well. viewtopic.php?f=114&t=54038 Thank you.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Not every story is one I can fully relate to, especially his earlier ones; he and I grew up in very different times! There was also a point mid-way through the book that I wondered how Rob White could have been so lucky, and I found myself almost jealous of his success. I was convinced that my rating of this book was going to be 3. I disliked how the author made it seem almost too easy to make millions. But by the end of the book, I realized that by looking deeper I COULD relate to some of his earlier stories. And I COULD be successful, just like him, if I utilized what I learned in this book. I had to reread a few parts to comprehend that he wasn't saying it was easy to make millions! He just wasn't dwelling on how hard it was! I really liked my personal transformation that came out of reading this book. So I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
I love this! That's such an awesome thing to take away from the book. Awesome review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. It seems that the author reached his objective by your positive reaction and personal transformation. Glad you enjoyed it!
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Plot seems appealing. And your review depicts it very well .
Moreover, I find title 'And Then I Met Margaret' quite attractive.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”